Short List at 10

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yea I'd be fine with it, it's definitely not ideal but I think he'd be the clear BPA and you kind of have to go where the talent takes you in most cases. I think I'd take him over Paye as well.
I would too. Gallup is likely gone after next season, and the matchup problems Pitts causes with those long arms and insane hands would wreak havoc for sure.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I would too. Gallup is likely gone after next season, and the matchup problems Pitts causes with those long arms and insane hands would wreak havoc for sure.
If the plan is to let Gallup walk or trade him I think I'd take Pitts at 10 regardless, assuming he runs a respectable 4.65 or so. I think there is a pretty clear argument that he'd be the BPA over almost anybody that'd be conceivably available.

I think the plan is to re-sign Gallup though so I'd only do it if there isn't a defensive player who is at least somewhat comparable as a prospect. Like, I don't think Paye is anywhere near the caliber of prospect that Pitts is, same with Surtain, assuming he runs like a 4.55.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the plan is to let Gallup walk or trade him I think I'd take Pitts at 10 regardless, assuming he runs a respectable 4.65 or so. I think there is a pretty clear argument that he'd be the BPA over almost anybody that'd be conceivably available.

I think the plan is to re-sign Gallup though so I'd only do it if there isn't a defensive player who is at least somewhat comparable as a prospect. Like, I don't think Paye is anywhere near the caliber of prospect that Pitts is, same with Surtain, assuming he runs like a 4.55.
I think the best plan would be to resign Gallup. If anything I'd consider moving on from Cooper in a couple of years to save cap space. Ideally I keep all 3 receivers until Lamb is requiring a new deal. Then I part with Cooper. Luckily we have Lamb for a few more years before we need to consider that.

As far as Pitts is concerned if we hadn't drafted Lamb I'd probably be all about him. But with 3 WRs all with 1000 yard ability. The TE in this offense doesn't have to be a massive piece. Only so many balls to go around and I think Schultz has proven he can be rock solid with that opportunity.

You could argue that Pitts may be best available at 10. But hell so could a WR. I don't think any of us would advocate taking a WR. Where we sit in the draft it's not like a TE or WR is going to be someone who fell dramatically into our laps.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think though, c-rock that what Simp is saying is the days of Dallas having 3 stud WRs are winding down. In 2022, whether it's cutting/trading Cooper or not re-signing Gallup we will have to make a decision.

Pitts is the best receiving TE I've ever seen coming out of college. He adds balance and an intermediate physicality we've lacked since Witten's prime. His stride reminds me of a young Witten, and his hands are so much better. As a pure talent, he's crazy good.

Frankly if we didn't have such an overwhelming need on defense I'd rank Pitts higher than Chase and Rousseau and right behind Sewell.

For sure we could get by with Shultz and others, but wow, Pitts is clearly a difference maker. He had a lot of pressure placed on him to repeat his Junior year performance and he shattered it.

For me, it's Rousseau and then Pitts.

Which means I should brace myself for another CB.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
My thing is, from a personnel standpoint, I love making a strength even stronger. And if Pitts is the BPA, thats hard to walk away from, especially in a draft that doesnt have a standout defender.

If five years from now you knew Pitts would be a better player than any defensive player in this class, not saying they were bad just that Pitts was that good, would you pull the trigger then?

Dak had a rapport with Witten early on, too. Give him an elite talent and athlete at that position, and thats hard for me to pass on.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the team's inaction in FA makes it hard for people to deal with Pitts at 10. If we went out and signed John Johnson and DJ Jones I'd be 100% comfortable taking Pitts, people just overemphasize what we do in the draft because in the back of their minds they know we likely won't do anything in free agency.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think the best plan would be to resign Gallup. If anything I'd consider moving on from Cooper in a couple of years to save cap space. Ideally I keep all 3 receivers until Lamb is requiring a new deal. Then I part with Cooper. Luckily we have Lamb for a few more years before we need to consider that.

As far as Pitts is concerned if we hadn't drafted Lamb I'd probably be all about him. But with 3 WRs all with 1000 yard ability. The TE in this offense doesn't have to be a massive piece. Only so many balls to go around and I think Schultz has proven he can be rock solid with that opportunity.

You could argue that Pitts may be best available at 10. But hell so could a WR. I don't think any of us would advocate taking a WR. Where we sit in the draft it's not like a TE or WR is going to be someone who fell dramatically into our laps.
Yep. I pretty much agree with this word for word.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
As for the people advocating for Pitts, isn't Jerry always laughed at and ridiculed here for falling in love with his shiny toys over the rest of the team, to the point of neglecting things until they are a weakness?

Well... Our defense is a certified weakness. While we have an embarrassment of riches in young pass catchers. And you want to add another one?

Last edited:

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
As for the people advocating for Pitts, isn't Jerry always laughed at and ridiculed here for falling in love with his shiny toys over the rest of the team, to a point of neglecting things until they are a weakness?

Well... Out defense is a certified weakness. While we have an embarrassment of riches in young pass catchers. And you want to add another one?
My hang up is in terms of how the draft as of now seems like it will fall. There are no IDL that impress me at 10, nor a CB or S, especially given the value at corner in the later rounds. That leaves us with off the ball LB, one of the easier positions to fill in a defense IMO. So Parsons then. Which, isnt the worst thing in the world, but as has already been mentioned, the WR core we have now may not be the same we have a year or two from now. So I’m a proponent of getting ahead of that.

I feel like no one here is going to argue that defense is our biggest issue, but if we dont trade down to collect picks, im fine with a guy like Pitts. Most of that has to do with how good I think he will be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are no IDL that impress me at 10, nor a CB or S, especially given the value at corner in the later rounds.
13. Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa*
HT: 6-3 | WT: 305
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: NR

I'm really impressed with Nixon's agility for his size, and he's a terrific tackler in the open field. He had 45 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss (tied for 15th in the FBS) and 5.5 sacks, along with an interception and a forced fumble in eight games. Nixon is a really instinctive player.

20. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama*
HT: 6-5 | WT: 310
Grade: 90 | Previous rank: 29

Barmore has emerged this season with six sacks and three forced fumbles from the interior of Alabama's defensive line. He is still developing as a pass-rusher, but he can get home. Against the run, Barmore shows strong gap control. As an added bonus, he is versatile along the line. But keep in mind that Barmore is a third-year sophomore, and he entered the season with only one career start.

14. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU*
HT: 6-2 | WT: 208
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: 18

Moehrig is a playmaker. He breaks quickly on the ball, times his jump and has the ball skills to haul in interceptions -- he has two through 10 games after grabbing four in 2019 and has broken up nine additional passes this season. Moehrig is above average as a tackler (47 in 2020) and even has some return game experience.

12. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame*
HT: 6-2 | WT: 220
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: 20

I love Owusu-Koramoah's tape. He is fast, he is instinctive and he is only getting stronger as he develops. His recognition skills are very good too, as he always seems to be around the ball. Owusu-Koramoah is fluid in coverage and even flashes the ability to get home on the quarterback, thanks to his suddenness. He does it all: In 2020, he has 56 tackles (11 for loss), 1.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, a fumble return TD, 3 pass breakups and an interception.

Just a few names to keep an eye on moving forward.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Wtf, NoDak gave me a thumbs down and didnt tell me how stupid I was.

I feel slighted, to say the least.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Here's another one...

• Jabril Cox
  • Position: ILB
  • School: LSU
  • Height: 6’4
  • Weight: 231
2016 REDSHIRT
2017 Statistics: 75 Total Tackles, 13 Tackles For Loss, 4.5 Sacks, 1 Int, 3 PBU, 1 FF 3 FR, -NDSU BISON
2018 Statistics: 91 Total Tackles, 10 Tackles For Loss, 4 Sacks, 4 Int, 3 PBU, 2 FR, 2 Def TD/Int Ret -NDSU BISON
2019 Statistics: 92 Total Tackles, 9.5 Tackles For Loss, 5.5 Sacks, 4 Int, 6 PBU, 2 FF, 1 FR, 1 Def TD/Fum Ret - NDSU BISON
2020 Statistics: 58 Total Tackles, 6.5 Tackles For Loss, 1 Sack, 3 Int, 5 PBU 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 Def TD/Int Ret -LSU TIGERS

Jabril Cox is a special player who transferred from a FCS school in North Dakota State University to a FBS school in LSU. Coming from a smaller university he still is playing mighty impressive from where he left off at NDSU.

When watching Cox on film you notice he has superb hips which translate to his great pass coverage skills. Being at 6’4 and 231 pounds he moves swiftly on his feet in coverage where it wouldn’t be a bad option to have him go one on one with the running back or the slot.

Another trait that impresses me is his relentless effort at pursuing the ball carrier. He takes great angles at the chance of catching the ball carrier, even when he’s backside of a play or the play isn’t anywhere near him. Jabril is also a solid tackler which is great to see.

He can meet you in the hole or come off the edge and make solid tackles which is a plus for himself. His IQ for the game is high which he is going to need at the next level at his position, with his IQ being so high he can be very versatile lining up playing multiple positions.
--------

I would think long and hard about taking him in the 2nd. And if he was there in the 3rd, I would break my neck running to the podium to turn his name in.

Every time I watched him play, I would see Darren Woodson. I have no idea if he would ever switch to safety like Woodson did, but I think I would leave him at LBer. He is just so gifted there. Why mess with it?

Those defensive splash plays in his stat line are fap worthy. And the only reason, imo, that he isn't being considered in the first round is because he only had 1 year at an FBS school. I think his draft projection is being hurt some by playing on those stacked defensive teams at NDSU in the FCS. But he will turn in to a very good player, I have little doubt. I just hope it's for us.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
13. Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa*
HT: 6-3 | WT: 305
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: NR

I'm really impressed with Nixon's agility for his size, and he's a terrific tackler in the open field. He had 45 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss (tied for 15th in the FBS) and 5.5 sacks, along with an interception and a forced fumble in eight games. Nixon is a really instinctive player.

20. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama*
HT: 6-5 | WT: 310
Grade: 90 | Previous rank: 29

Barmore has emerged this season with six sacks and three forced fumbles from the interior of Alabama's defensive line. He is still developing as a pass-rusher, but he can get home. Against the run, Barmore shows strong gap control. As an added bonus, he is versatile along the line. But keep in mind that Barmore is a third-year sophomore, and he entered the season with only one career start.

14. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU*
HT: 6-2 | WT: 208
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: 18

Moehrig is a playmaker. He breaks quickly on the ball, times his jump and has the ball skills to haul in interceptions -- he has two through 10 games after grabbing four in 2019 and has broken up nine additional passes this season. Moehrig is above average as a tackler (47 in 2020) and even has some return game experience.

12. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame*
HT: 6-2 | WT: 220
Grade: 91 | Previous rank: 20

I love Owusu-Koramoah's tape. He is fast, he is instinctive and he is only getting stronger as he develops. His recognition skills are very good too, as he always seems to be around the ball. Owusu-Koramoah is fluid in coverage and even flashes the ability to get home on the quarterback, thanks to his suddenness. He does it all: In 2020, he has 56 tackles (11 for loss), 1.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, a fumble return TD, 3 pass breakups and an interception.

Gotta watch Barmore closer, he kinda disappointed early in the year and got real hot later in the year. I'm not sure how strong he really is against the run so the championship should be a good litmus test.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
How so?

North Dakota sucks, by the way.
Uhh... you told me to say that?

And, so does/did* your mom. But we all need to make a living somehow, I guess.

*In case you try and use the tried and true internet fall back of 'my mom is dead'.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Uhh... you told me to say that?

And, so does/did* your mom. But we all need to make a living somehow, I guess.

*In case you try and use the tried and true internet fall back of 'my mom is dead'.
My mom is a pile of ashes...

Still the best you’ve ever had, NoDik.

Right guys, right?

:unsure

Top Bottom