Short List at 10

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious to see how Rousseau runs. Is he Taco speed and size or is he Randy Gregory athletic ability. If he is a 4.8 type guy I'm probably off the bandwagon. If he is a 4.6 guy, I feel a lot better.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Before Covid, I couldn't imagine Rousseau being available at 10, and also there are as many as six teams needing QBs who pick ahead of us.

Rousseau channels so much power through his long, narrow frame, that he knifes through gaps and has this crazy reach to really disrupt whatever is happening in the backfield. Though he'd definitely be a DE in the NFL, I could see him wreaking havoc on stunts based on how well he was able to pressure from the interior in college.

Ironic his name is Gregory, because he's like a longer version of Randy Gregory. With no stats from 2020, it's not hard to imagine him being available especially if 4+ QB's go in the top 10.

Parsons will probably go 7-8, unless of course the QB's push him down. I could see him going right before we pick.
Yea, I think Rousseau projects as primarily an interior pass-rusher to start but he has more than enough tools to develop as an edge rusher by year 2 or 3. I don't think we'd even want him on the edge that often in nickel/dime anyway with Lawrence/Gregory and I think he could be a really good complement to them on the interior, while having the size to hold up against the run on base downs.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm curious to see how Rousseau runs. Is he Taco speed and size or is he Randy Gregory athletic ability. If he is a 4.8 type guy I'm probably off the bandwagon. If he is a 4.6 guy, I feel a lot better.
Gregory ran a 4.64 at 235 lbs, I think if Rousseau weighs in at 250-260+ that 4.75ish would be acceptable.

If he starts getting up towards 4.85-4.9 then it's a definite concern.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Before Covid, I couldn't imagine Rousseau being available at 10, and also there are as many as six teams needing QBs who pick ahead of us.

Rousseau channels so much power through his long, narrow frame, that he knifes through gaps and has this crazy reach to really disrupt whatever is happening in the backfield. Though he'd definitely be a DE in the NFL, I could see him wreaking havoc on stunts based on how well he was able to pressure from the interior in college.

Ironic his name is Gregory, because he's like a longer version of Randy Gregory. With no stats from 2020, it's not hard to imagine him being available especially if 4+ QB's go in the top 10.

Parsons will probably go 7-8, unless of course the QB's push him down. I could see him going right before we pick.
If Rousseau has taken the year off to train for the combine, and not sit on his ass, I wonder then if we will even have a shot at him at 10. The tape is good, and if he tests well, he should probably be the first DE off the board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Rousseau has taken the year off to train for the combine, and not sit on his ass, I wonder then if we will even have a shot at him at 10. The tape is good, and if he tests well, he should probably be the first DE off the board.
Has he been training or enjoying life? We will find out soon.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Rousseau just surprises with how well he's able to penetrate zone blocking. His legs provide the power and his narrow frame seems to compact all that force into a tight punch.

Really hard to see him project inside full time in the NFL, though if Rousseau could actually Lett-up and play 3T as well-- well then it would be amazing.

We can project Randy G as our starting RDE in 2021, and this guy could be an awesome complement in pass rush situations to start. With enough bulk, he could be the successor to Lawrence on the other side-- a lot like the way Kiwi played with Strahan, Osi, and JPP.

Rousseau could also be great from the ILB spot in some 3-4 looks. He's a good athlete and can cover a lot of ground with his stride. I could see a pass rushing 3-4 front with Hill and Gallimore at DE and Lawrence, Rousseau, LVE, and Gregory as linebackers-- especially if we could steal Tomlinson from NY.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gregory ran a 4.64 at 235 lbs, I think if Rousseau weighs in at 250-260+ that 4.75ish would be acceptable.

If he starts getting up towards 4.85-4.9 then it's a definite concern.
I love the guys length. Does look a bit like Irving did for us. Just looks so much bigger than everyone else. And not in a crazy skinny way either. He looks like a real athlete and not just a tall dude.

On the downside a ton of his plays were basically made tackling QBs as they scramble up the pocket and he tripped them up from behind. He didn't look like a guy causing a ton of havoc on his own. Basically just cleaned plays up off other guys pressure an awful lot. Makes me wonder how much he can do on his own. I'm unsure on him but wonder if he wouldn't be best off bulking up to that 295 range and being a David Irving type.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I love the guys length. Does look a bit like Irving did for us. Just looks so much bigger than everyone else. And not in a crazy skinny way either. He looks like a real athlete and not just a tall dude.

On the downside a ton of his plays were basically made tackling QBs as they scramble up the pocket and he tripped them up from behind. He didn't look like a guy causing a ton of havoc on his own. Basically just cleaned plays up off other guys pressure an awful lot. Makes me wonder how much he can do on his own. I'm unsure on him but wonder if he wouldn't be best off bulking up to that 295 range and being a David Irving type.
David Irving is about right, I think Arik Armstead is a good comparison too in terms of a guy who isn't a pure bend the edge type of pass rusher but he wins with length/strength, bounces inside and out and generally kills OG's/C's with his combination of quickness/length/size.

A sane David Irving is definitely worth the 10th pick in the draft, and even if Rousseau never turns into a pure full-time edge rusher, a guy like Armstead or Irving is very valuable and definitely worth the pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

There are several plays Rousseau made right up the gut in addition to all those in pursuit. He just cuts into gaps and really plays with leverage. It would be awesome to have Leon Lett coach this guy, or at least provide some tips.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
David Irving is about right, I think Arik Armstead is a good comparison too in terms of a guy who isn't a pure bend the edge type of pass rusher but he wins with length/strength, bounces inside and out and generally kills OG's/C's with his combination of quickness/length/size.

A sane David Irving is definitely worth the 10th pick in the draft, and even if Rousseau never turns into a pure full-time edge rusher, a guy like Armstead or Irving is very valuable and definitely worth the pick.
Oh I agree. I'm curious to see what his size is. He was listed at like 265. With his frame he should be able to get up to 285 and not look out of shape at all. I don't think he will survive long in the inside at 265 (At first in just passing situations its ok but that's fairly limited).

The guy has been working out and training for a year. I'm very curious to see where he is at. The combine is more interesting than ever this year because of the number of guys who skipped this football season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The combine is more interesting than ever this year because of the number of guys who skipped this football season.
Without question. If Rousseau tears the combine up and clears medically, he'll probably become the top defender taken.

David Irving is definitely an apt comparison in terms of athleticism, height, weight, and technique. Irving was 273 at the combine. Of course, production-wise, Rousseau blows Irving's Iowa State record away.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here is my list of wants...

1. Defense
2. Defense
3. Defense
4. Defense
78. Something else

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without question. If Rousseau tears the combine up and clears medically, he'll probably become the top defender taken.

David Irving is definitely an apt comparison in terms of athleticism, height, weight, and technique. Irving was 273 at the combine. Of course, production-wise, Rousseau blows Irving's Iowa State record away.
Yeah and Irving got up to that 290 range which is what I would ultimately hope for this kid to do. I love length like that on the Dline. It causes so much trouble for QBs and RBs when arms that long can swat at him and the ball.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If it were up to me I wouldn't take a CB at 10 at all, there are plenty of guys in the 2nd who would be better value than Surtain or Farley. Molden and Samuel are two, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Paulson Adebo and Derion Kendrick are a few others.

It's like last year, why take a CJ Henderson or AJ Terrell when you could easily get a Trevon Diggs, Kristian Fulton or Jaylon Johnson in the 2nd?

And I doubt I'd even go CB in the 2nd, it's just that if it had to be one or the other I'd prefer the 2nd, although I'm sure the fake media scouts and fans who think we need to draft a CB every year will pretend like we absolutely can't go without one in the first two rounds.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Moehrig would be my top choice at safety but I'd also be fine with someone like Lecounte, Cisco or Holland there as well. The top of the 2nd looks like an ideal spot for safeties, and really an assortment of defensive positions given how many QB's/WR's/OT's look to be going in the 1st.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If it were up to me I wouldn't take a CB at 10 at all, there are plenty of guys in the 2nd who would be better value than Surtain or Farley. Molden and Samuel are two, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Paulson Adebo and Derion Kendrick are a few others.

It's like last year, why take a CJ Henderson or AJ Terrell when you could easily get a Trevon Diggs, Kristian Fulton or Jaylon Johnson in the 2nd?

And I doubt I'd even go CB in the 2nd, it's just that if it had to be one or the other I'd prefer the 2nd, although I'm sure the fake media scouts and fans who think we need to draft a CB every year will pretend like we absolutely can't go without one in the first two rounds.
So, supposing Rousseau, Parsons, and say even Paye are gone-- would you be OK with Kyle Pitts?

I know I wouldn't mind that at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So, supposing Rousseau, Parsons, and say even Paye are gone-- would you be OK with Kyle Pitts?

I know I wouldn't mind that at all.
Yea I'd be fine with it, it's definitely not ideal but I think he'd be the clear BPA and you kind of have to go where the talent takes you in most cases. I think I'd take him over Paye as well.

Top Bottom