Short List at 10

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is preliminary obviously because I've only gotten to watch so many players, but in no particular order:

Micah Parsons
Gregory Rousseau
Kyle Pitts
Rashawn Slater
Caleb Farley
Zaven Collins

Dark horses I need to watch more of: Daviyon Nixon, Jaelan Phillips, Christian Darrisaw, Alim McNeil

Pitts is going to be a huge decision because I think there is a solid argument that he would be the BPA almost no matter who is available at 10, but do we really want to go TE (or glorified WR) given the rest of our roster?

Schultz put up 63/615/4 with our ragtag group of QB's, with a full season of Prescott I could easily see something like 65/750/5 or better, which is perfectly fine given our WR trio.

On the flip side, I see the offense becoming more Dak/pass-centric in the near future with Elliott being phased out, so putting together quite literally the best group of pass-catchers in the league would definitely have value.

Thoughts?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I guess we're rooting for as many QBs and WRs to go off board before #10. Can we count on Gregory and Smith to stay out of trouble and be productive? No, so give me Rousseau or the best available CB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is preliminary obviously because I've only gotten to watch so many players, but in no particular order:

Micah Parsons
Gregory Rousseau
Kyle Pitts
Rashawn Slater
Caleb Farley
Zaven Collins

Dark horses I need to watch more of: Daviyon Nixon, Jaelan Phillips, Christian Darrisaw, Alim McNeil

Pitts is going to be a huge decision because I think there is a solid argument that he would be the BPA almost no matter who is available at 10, but do we really want to go TE (or glorified WR) given the rest of our roster?

Schultz put up 63/615/4 with our ragtag group of QB's, with a full season of Prescott I could easily see something like 65/750/5 or better, which is perfectly fine given our WR trio.

On the flip side, I see the offense becoming more Dak/pass-centric in the near future with Elliott being phased out, so putting together quite literally the best group of pass-catchers in the league would definitely have value.

Thoughts?
I just can't do TE. If we weren't so stacked at WR I might but gosh just feels like overkill.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just can't do TE. If we weren't so stacked at WR I might but gosh just feels like overkill.
Same.

Out of that list Parsons interests me the most so thats probably the guy I want at this early time.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life

Micah Parsons
Gregory Rousseau
Kyle Pitts
Rashawn Slater
Caleb Farley
Zaven Collins

Thoughts?
History being the best indicator, if Pitts is there, Jerry will add another shiny toy to his toy box. I agree out of those he is BPA, but my god do we need defense more than offense. It's getting old trying to act surprised every year when our defense sucks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I guess we're rooting for as many QBs and WRs to go off board before #10. Can we count on Gregory and Smith to stay out of trouble and be productive? No, so give me Rousseau or the best available CB.
It's funny because a few months ago when it looked like we'd be picking at 4 Parsons/Rousseau were the top considerations seemingly. A good amount has changed, some guys have emerged, but I still feel like they're the top two even as we sit here at 10.

People have started to sour a bit on Rousseau, I think partially because he got so much publicity as a sure-fire top 5 pick through the summer, but it feels like an over-correction. Yea, the guy is raw and doesn't have elite burst/bend, but he's 6-6 265 with probably about 35 inch arms and would absolutely destroy OG's rushing from the interior with Lawrence/Gregory on the outside.

He could play the same role as Tyrone Crawford (DE in base packages, interior rusher in nickel/dime) but would provide a real pass rush presence. He could spell Lawrence/Gregory on base downs to keep them fresh and then kick inside in nickel/dime while developing his technique/pass rush plan on the edge.

Even if we re-sign Aldon we could roll Lawrence/Rousseau/Smith/Lawrence out there in clear pass-rushing situations, which could be pretty devastating.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Even if we re-sign Aldon we could roll Lawrence/Rousseau/Smith/Lawrence out there in clear pass-rushing situations, which could be pretty devastating.
I dunno about that. How many sacks did Smith, Lawrence and Gregory have since Gregory's return? Can't be that many.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I dunno about that. How many sacks did Smith, Lawrence and Gregory have since Gregory's return? Can't be that many.
In a Nolan defense. In going to give them a pass for the year and see what a real DC can do with them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's funny because a few months ago when it looked like we'd be picking at 4 Parsons/Rousseau were the top considerations seemingly. A good amount has changed, some guys have emerged, but I still feel like they're the top two even as we sit here at 10.

People have started to sour a bit on Rousseau, I think partially because he got so much publicity as a sure-fire top 5 pick through the summer, but it feels like an over-correction. Yea, the guy is raw and doesn't have elite burst/bend, but he's 6-6 265 with probably about 35 inch arms and would absolutely destroy OG's rushing from the interior with Lawrence/Gregory on the outside.

He could play the same role as Tyrone Crawford (DE in base packages, interior rusher in nickel/dime) but would provide a real pass rush presence. He could spell Lawrence/Gregory on base downs to keep them fresh and then kick inside in nickel/dime while developing his technique/pass rush plan on the edge.

Yeah Rousseau was a guy I always really liked. I hate that we didn't get to see him play this past year. Hell half of your list sat out this past season. Makes it really difficult for some evaluations. Rousseau was probably too rich at 3 or 4 in the draft. But down at 10 he starts to look more appealing. I'm curious to see how he runs though. Just not enough track record for me to trust the production and throw his athletic numbers out the window.

Parsons has grown on me some. I still hate how awful he looks trying to catch a ball in coverage. I was trying to think of a comparison for him in terms of NFL LBers. He looks like he has a bit of Lavar Arrington in him to me. Now that doesn't mean he has that Arrington ignorant personality. But just in terms of physical skills he isn't your typical 4-3 LBer. He is big, and strong and a handful when chasing guys down. I think he is going to run really well too in that 4.5-4.6 range which is great for a man his size. But still probably not a guy I want in coverage too much. But against the run and as a pass rusher blitzing I think he could be a force.

Zaven Collins is interesting but I don't see him as a legit top 10 type guy yet. But there will be a lot of movement still to come.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Zaven Collins is interesting but I don't see him as a legit top 10 type guy yet. But there will be a lot of movement still to come.
Yeah, I can't wait to see how he tests at the combine and private workouts. This year is going to be even more interesting than usual.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Probably about 10, although about half of those games were complete blowouts and not really conducive to putting up sacks. I think most would agree our pass rush was pretty respectable over the last half of the season, and theoretically it should be a situation where our offense gets early leads and lets the pass-rushers pin their ears back against one-dimensional offenses.

They're going to have to avoid turning the ball over twice in the first half every game for that though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah Rousseau was a guy I always really liked. I hate that we didn't get to see him play this past year. Hell half of your list sat out this past season. Makes it really difficult for some evaluations. Rousseau was probably too rich at 3 or 4 in the draft. But down at 10 he starts to look more appealing. I'm curious to see how he runs though. Just not enough track record for me to trust the production and throw his athletic numbers out the window.

Parsons has grown on me some. I still hate how awful he looks trying to catch a ball in coverage. I was trying to think of a comparison for him in terms of NFL LBers. He looks like he has a bit of Lavar Arrington in him to me. Now that doesn't mean he has that Arrington ignorant personality. But just in terms of physical skills he isn't your typical 4-3 LBer. He is big, and strong and a handful when chasing guys down. I think he is going to run really well too in that 4.5-4.6 range which is great for a man his size. But still probably not a guy I want in coverage too much. But against the run and as a pass rusher blitzing I think he could be a force.

Parsons looks decent enough in coverage, he just doesn't seem to have the hands to bring in INT's. He seems to mostly be in position and able to knock down passes but he seems to have stone hands.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Parsons looks decent enough in coverage, he just doesn't seem to have the hands to bring in INT's. He seems to mostly be in position and able to knock down passes but he seems to have stone hands.
Yeah I mean he looks a lot like a Dlineman trying to catch a football. I don't know how he is at turning and running with guys but I think in general he is good in zone coverage. I'd worry about him covering anyone in man coverage but that probably wouldn't be that often.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kwity Paye?
Unless he does something crazy at the Combine I don't really get what the fuss is over him, at least as far as being a possible top 10 pick. He looks like a good enough athlete from the games I've seen but not an uber athlete but any means, nor does he have eye-popping production, and he's pretty short/squatty with marginal length.

He only played 4 games this year but pretty much all of his TFL/sacks came over like two drives in the 4th quarter against Minnesota when they were up 20.

I might be missing something but there's no way I'd take him over Rousseau.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If we add 5 or 6 quality defenders this off-season between FA and the draft - and we are in pretty good position to do that - this team could be really really good in 2021.

Just do it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I love Pitts as a player. But we just can’t afford that luxury with our troubles on defense. And we are doing alright at TE.
Give me Parsons , Rousseau, Farley. In that order.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Before Covid, I couldn't imagine Rousseau being available at 10, and also there are as many as six teams needing QBs who pick ahead of us.

Rousseau channels so much power through his long, narrow frame, that he knifes through gaps and has this crazy reach to really disrupt whatever is happening in the backfield. Though he'd definitely be a DE in the NFL, I could see him wreaking havoc on stunts based on how well he was able to pressure from the interior in college.

Ironic his name is Gregory, because he's like a longer version of Randy Gregory. With no stats from 2020, it's not hard to imagine him being available especially if 4+ QB's go in the top 10.

Parsons will probably go 7-8, unless of course the QB's push him down. I could see him going right before we pick.

Top Bottom