Short List at 10

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The TEs who had the best years last year were drafted in rounds: 3, 5, 6, 3, 2. First round picks that ended up in the top 20 last year: Hockenson 7, Fant 8, Ebron 15, Howard 17, Hurst 18.
It's a crap shoot just like any other position. I personally wouldn't take the tight end here unless we have an amazing deal for one of our WRs and I really don't want to part with any of them. Take the best defender possible.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Your mismatch theory holds no water. Name 3 NFL TEs that put up better stats than Gallup?
WGAS about the stats though? There's no Lombardi trophy for having the best stats. All catches and yards are not equal. Situational football matters more than accumulating yards between the 20's.

I want an offense that can beat any situation in big games and in the playoffs when the best defenses are trying their best to stop us. Regardless of our offensive ranking in the past, we've not been good at that.

I would argue Pitts is the best contested ball receiver in the draft and improves our chances of getting those critical yards on third down or near the goal line. Michael Gallup will be better at catching a 25 yard pass than even the best-ever TE. You need both kinds of players.

Gronkowski and Edelman were very different kinds of receivers and each was critical to success of the Patriots last three Superbowl runs/wins. Cooper>Lamb>Gallup, and each is basically the same kind of receiver.

As for overall talent... Would I like Devonta Smith's Reek-like speed and acceleration in place of one of our WR's? Sure, but I'm not willing to dump a high pick for that small relative gain. But Pitts over Schultz is a big gain in situational effectiveness as well as production. I don't have to sit Gallup to use Pitts, and so I can have four great receiving talents on the field.

Again the top ten is about talent, both for now and the next 5 years. We don't know what our team will look like in 3 years-- we could have an amazing defense and rotting offense by then.

Sewell - Rousseau - Pitts - Parsons

The top ten should really emphasize BPA over need.

Slater - Farley - Surtain would be the next tier

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Christian Barmore became Alabama's best DL and had a great game, but is he a top 10 talent?

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Pass Rusher, Safety, Corner, take your pick. Whoever is BPA out of those three im good with.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Pass Rusher, Safety, Corner, take your pick. Whoever is BPA out of those three im good with.
We have pass rushers. If we are going DL, I want a big fat hole plugger. No homo, of course.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We have pass rushers. If we are going DL, I want a big fat hole plugger. No homo, of course.
I'm always happy to add pass rushers, but yeah not a priority. We need the big fatties in the middle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm always happy to add pass rushers, but yeah not a priority. We need the big fatties in the middle.
Yeah but if it's a pass rusher I prefer it to be a guy who can be disruptive from the middle. I feel like Gregory and Lawrence can bring the pressure from the edge. I want guys who disrupt shit in the middle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah but if it's a pass rusher I prefer it to be a guy who can be disruptive from the middle. I feel like Gregory and Lawrence can bring the pressure from the edge. I want guys who disrupt shit in the middle.
That really isn't the design of a Quinn defense though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
In an odd way I think Rousseau might be the best interior pass rusher in the draft. You can't line him up inside on 1st and 10 or 3rd and 3, which limits his value compared to a real pass rushing DT of course, but I think he'd be able to collapse the middle in nickel/dime with Lawrence/Gregory on the edges quite well.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
In an odd way I think Rousseau might be the best interior pass rusher in the draft. You can't line him up inside on 1st and 10 or 3rd and 3, which limits his value compared to a real pass rushing DT of course, but I think he'd be able to collapse the middle in nickel/dime with Lawrence/Gregory on the edges quite well.
I know you're absolutely right about him, but for once, I would really like a real live fat ass, corn bread eatin 1 tech with a shitty attitude who just absolutely terrorizes centers and guards.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I know you're absolutely right about him, but for once, I would really like a real live fat ass, corn bread eatin 1 tech with a shitty attitude who just absolutely terrorizes centers and guards.
Yea I'd prefer that too, just no idea where that player is in this class.

If you're talking about a true run stuffer who can also push the pocket a bit it's probably Alim McNeil.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life

If you're talking about a true run stuffer who can also push the pocket a bit it's probably Alim McNeil.
What you figure on him, second round-ish?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

What happened to him this year? 1 sack, 4 tackles for loss? Just curious, haven't watched him at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What happened to him this year? 1 sack, 4 tackles for loss? Just curious, haven't watched him at all.
He's a nose tackle basically, those guys aren't going to put up huge stats but he's excellent against the run and a good pass rusher for a NT.

Top Bottom