Rapoport: Sean Payton Stepping Down As Saints HC

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But when have you ever seen refs pick up the flag in that situation? It was a very close/bang-bang play that could have gone either way.

That play stands 99% of the time.
One official saw the WR create contact and the one who called the penalty didn’t. Simple.

Hitchens barely touched the WR, but looked guilty since he held his hands up and didn’t turn around.

Last time I saw that was Michael Irvin in San Fran in 1997, he had a clear bead on a game tying TD and Rod Woodson knocked him to the ground with the ball in the air. Flag. I’m thinking At Last!, at least some Justice in that fucking stadium, but no minute later refs pick up the flag. Incidental contact. Jobbed. I can still picture Irvin screaming at the sky in frustration.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
No, when Payton was here last time there was all kinds of bitching about him. I'm sure there will be again. That's just how fans are.
So true. Hardly anybody liked him or thought highly of him when he was here under Parcells. And those that said they did are full of shit. I mean a guy who was stripped of play calling by Jim Fassel?

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Why? What in the hell is Sean Payton going to do that MM can’t?

They’re both SB winning coaches, both had top 3-4 QBs when they won. Both have struggled with lesser QBs, MM in 2020/2021 and Payton this year.

There’s nothing about Dallas that would make it an attractive landing spot other than Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs, and maybe CeeDee Lamb if you still believe he has the ability to assert himself as a #1.

Why would Payton want to hitch his wagon to Dak Prescott? I would wait and see if the Chargers job becomes available if I’m Payton.
Hell, winning 9 games with those QB's he rolled out there this past year is enough for me? I get their defense was good, but still those 3 QB's?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm onboard with Payton, but the thing is we're getting a guy who's tired.

He's not gonna be full of piss and vinegar, as he'll be pretty close to the age Parcells was when he came to Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He's not gonna be full of piss and vinegar, as he'll be pretty close to the age Parcells was when he came to Dallas.
It's why a year off is probably best. 16 years in one place is a long time to coach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's why a year off is probably best. 16 years in one place is a long time to coach.
Yea, I'd imagine that when he comes back he'll be refreshed and ready to go. If I had to guess he wants to be the first coach to win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams and needs to take a year or two to recharge, and when he does come back (almost certainly with us) I'm sure he'll be as motivated as ever.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yea, I'd imagine that when he comes back he'll be refreshed and ready to go. If I had to guess he wants to be the first coach to win a Super Bowl with 2 different teams and needs to take a year or two to recharge, and when he does come back (almost certainly with us) I'm sure he'll be as motivated as ever.

Jesus Christ this sounds very very familiar.

It's insane to me that some people are pining for this. We have this exact situation with a guy that has a strikingly similar (and probably even better) resume right now.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

It's insane to me that some people are pining for this. We have this exact situation with a guy that has a strikingly similar (and probably even better) resume right now.
It a crazy but Payton has been a fan wish for years.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

The grass is always greener...

People will always piss and moan.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

The Saints are rebuilding, they have cap problems and no quarterback of the future on the roster. This is more like quitting instead of "recharging his batteries."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Payton stepped down, McCarthy was fired after wearing out his welcome, big difference.

The resumes are similar but Payton has always been more impressive to me and I don't think anybody would've argued for McCarthy over Payton 2-3 years ago, or even 5-6 years ago.

The other hidden value in Payton is that Jerry is going to respect him more than anybody except Belichick. I'm sure he respects McCarthy plenty but Payton will have way more sway and is probably the closest thing we'll ever have to a truly empowered HC since Parcells until Jerry is gone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah the way things ended in GB is way different than what is happening with Payton and the Saints.

I think McCarthy is a good head coach. But I think Sean Payton is one of the best in the NFL currently. You know how after a game people say, McCarthy was just out coached? Or you just feel like the coach on the other sideline is better? I don't watch Sean Payton and think that almost ever.

Resumes are great but if you held my feet to the fire and said who is a better coach, Kyle Shannahan or McCarthy, my answer would be Kyle despite McCarthy having the better "resume." So I don't think you can just boil it down to wins, losses and Superbowls. There is more to it than that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah the way things ended in GB is way different than what is happening with Payton and the Saints.

I think McCarthy is a good head coach. But I think Sean Payton is one of the best in the NFL currently. You know how after a game people say, McCarthy was just out coached? Or you just feel like the coach on the other sideline is better? I don't watch Sean Payton and think that almost ever.

Resumes are great but if you held my feet to the fire and said who is a better coach, Kyle Shannahan or McCarthy, my answer would be Kyle despite McCarthy having the better "resume." So I don't think you can just boil it down to wins, losses and Superbowls. There is more to it than that.
Payton's commitment to defense, running the football, passing to RBs, and in particular his visible passion are major differentiators for me.

I do like McCarthy's emphasis on downfield passing, but Payton has done his share of that for sure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Payton's commitment to defense, running the football, passing to RBs, and in particular his visible passion are major differentiators for me.

I do like McCarthy's emphasis on downfield passing, but Payton has done his share of that for sure.
Which is funny because the biggest complaint with Payton in Dallas and with the Giants I thought was his lack of commitment to the run. Definitely not the problem anymore. Maybe Kellen Moore will eventually figure this out too and it's always been a problem with McCarthy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither has been to the SB in forever.
The worst Sean Payton has ever done is 7-9. I think that says something about the guys ability to be consistently good. He was in the NFC title game as recently as 2018.

But yeah he isn't Bill Bellichick or Andy Reid. Beyond those two though I'd put his coaching up there with about anyone.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The worst Sean Payton has ever done is 7-9. I think that says something about the guys ability to be consistently good. He was in the NFC title game as recently as 2018.

But yeah he isn't Bill Bellichick or Andy Reid. Beyond those two though I'd put his coaching up there with about anyone.
I don't think there's a whole lot of daylight between Reid and Payton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there's a whole lot of daylight between Reid and Payton.
Also true. I think they are pretty similar. Funny thing is Sean Payton almost had Patrick Mahomes. They were set to take him in the draft when the Chiefs jumped ahead. Also even funnier is that trade for the Chiefs was with the Bills...

Mahomes with Sean Payton would have been pretty fun to watch too.

Top Bottom