Rapoport: Sean Payton Stepping Down As Saints HC

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sure is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the homer type who excuses everything (obviously), but I also don't want us to turn into Philly fans who get as much pleasure out of putting the current coach's head on a pike as they do playing and winning games.

And hey, Payton is obviously a very good coach. I'd be more than fine with him here. But let's not act like that would stop all the coaching griping and speculation for good so we could move on to other things. Because it wouldn't.
Payton being available changes everything though.

It's one thing to just aimlessly want McCarthy fired after just one real season in Dallas, it's another to want him gone (almost certainly after a 3rd season) when one of the best coaches in the league who has an extremely close relationship with the team's owners is available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the homer type who excuses everything (obviously), but I also don't want us to turn into Philly fans who get as much pleasure out of putting the current coach's head on a pike as they do playing and winning games.

And hey, Payton is obviously a very good coach. I'd be more than fine with him here. But let's not act like that would stop all the coaching griping and speculation for good so we could move on to other things. Because it wouldn't.
No, when Payton was here last time there was all kinds of bitching about him. I'm sure there will be again. That's just how fans are.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We were insanely unprepared against the Lions in 14as well. We were extremely lucky to win that in the end.
Yep, the Cowboys started that game extremely slow (as usual) and it took the refs screwing the Lions over on that DPI call that was overturned for the Cowboys to win the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Payton being available changes everything though.

It's one thing to just aimlessly want McCarthy fired after just one real season in Dallas, it's another to want him gone (almost certainly after a 3rd season) when one of the best coaches in the league who has an extremely close relationship with the team's owners is available.
Payton represents one of those “fire your existing coaches even if they didn’t earn termination so you can upgrade,” moments.

Except that McCarthy was not far from that tier either. I think this will remain a wait and see but if McCarthy were to underachieve it would sure be on the table for me next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Payton represents one of those “fire your existing coaches even if they didn’t earn termination so you can upgrade,” moments.

Except that McCarthy was not far from that tier either. I think this will remain a wait and see but if McCarthy were to underachieve it would sure be on the table for me next year.
Yeah I don't think Sean Payton is going to go anywhere new this season. But next year I think it would certainly be a situation where you look at McCarthy and grade him harshly. Unless McCarthy really impresses next season then I think you have to consider a coach like Sean Payton who is rarely available.

Again, to me this is something to look at a year down the road. And hell Sean Payton may not want to coach anymore and this is a serious, retirement for him. I have no idea of his personal life.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Sean Payton nearly became Cowboys coach in 2019; could it happen now? - ProFootballTalk

Sean Payton nearly became Cowboys coach in 2019; could it happen now?

With Sean Payton stepping down as head coach of the Saints after 16 years on the job, his next move will become an issue of major intrigue and curiosity. There’s a sense he could land in television for a year or two, perhaps before returning to the NFL.

Or maybe he could simply resurface with a new team. Maybe sooner than later.

He has been linked to the Cowboys on various occasions in the past. He worked there as offensive coordinator under Bill Parcells, before getting the New Orleans job in 2006. Not long ago, Payton nearly became the head coach of the Cowboys.

What follows comes from my new book, Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). The essay from which it’s drawn can be found there, if/when you purchase the book. (The book contains more than 100 total essays about the last 20 years in the NFL.) Consider this a taste, with the obvious goal being that perhaps you’ll decide to buy the whole pie.

The year was 2019. The month, January. The Cowboys had won 10 of 16 games, along with a wild-card contest against the Seahawks. They lost to the Rams in the divisional round, 30-22. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones contemplated an upgrade from coach Jason Garrett to Sean Payton. Jones wanted to pull the trigger. Payton did, too.

Things unfolded quickly. The Saints had played in the NFC Championship, losing to the Rams on January 20. That week, Jones quietly made his move.

It was a delicate situation, for various reasons. First, the Cowboys had a coach. Jones wouldn’t have fired Garrett unless he knew he could have gotten Payton. Second, league rules (specifically, the Rooney Rule) require a diverse and inclusive search. Third, Jones had to ultimately know that, after going through the motions of a search, he’d be able to get Payton.

So a deal was worked out, behind the scenes. The Saints would have allowed the Cowboys to hire Payton. The Cowboys would have compensated the Saints for the rights to Payton’s contract. And Payton would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys.

It was ready to go. It was happening. It was locked, and it was loaded. Then came Monday, January 28. On that day, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis announced he would not sign another contract with the team, and he requested a trade. (In July, the Pelicans traded him to the Lakers.)

Gayle Benson owns both the Pelicans and the Saints. Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was, as of January 2019, the executive vice president of basketball operations with the Pelicans. Once Davis made clear his intention to leave New Orleans, Loomis told Payton that Loomis couldn’t be the common thread between a pair of such high-profile Louisiana departures.

That ended it, just like that. The Saints were no longer interested in essentially trading Payton to the Cowboys. In September, Payton signed a new contract. That deal has three years left on it.

And, yes, Jones could once again fire up the behind-the-scenes engine in an effort to land Payton. It would be the same drill as three years ago, however. This time, an unexpected Pelicans-related complication wouldn’t get in the way.

If not now, then maybe 2023. Or 2024. Regardless, the Cowboys have a talented team. And Payton is keenly aware of the fact that no coach in NFL history has won a Super Bowl with two different franchises.

So there’s the story, courtesy of Playmakers. If that leaves you wanting the rest of the pie, well, dig in.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't see any way that they surrender draft capital, especially this season due to the low numbers of players under contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see any way that they surrender draft capital, especially this season due to the low numbers of players under contract.
Not unless it's a late pick. I'm a big Sean Payton fan but I'm not giving up significant draft capital knowing there is a good chance Jerry will undermine him anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's not happening this year, but in 2023 you might as well bet the farm (unless we somehow make the NFCC or further of course).

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Random aside, we didn't have a 1st in the 2019 draft (Cooper trade) so I highly doubt we'd be giving up more than a 2nd or 3rd, which I'd be fine with.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Fuck 'em, if the entire coaching staff/roster hadn't laid a massive fucking egg in a home playoff game this wouldn't be as much of a conversation. They deserve what they get, especially the coaches.

14 penalties in your first playoff game, after leading the league in penalties all season, is arguably a fire-able offense on it's face.
All is fair in love and war. Do it Jerry!

p1_

DCC 4Life
Random aside, we didn't have a 1st in the 2019 draft (Cooper trade) so I highly doubt we'd be giving up more than a 2nd or 3rd, which I'd be fine with.
Why would we do that? I must be missing something

Top Bottom