Rapoport: Sean Payton Stepping Down As Saints HC

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Random aside, we didn't have a 1st in the 2019 draft (Cooper trade) so I highly doubt we'd be giving up more than a 2nd or 3rd, which I'd be fine with.
Good point. I haven't seen a coach traded for a high draft pick in a long time either. Not sure if teams just don't like to do it or what but we haven't seen a first for a coach in a long time.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Why? What in the hell is Sean Payton going to do that MM can’t?

They’re both SB winning coaches, both had top 3-4 QBs when they won. Both have struggled with lesser QBs, MM in 2020/2021 and Payton this year.

There’s nothing about Dallas that would make it an attractive landing spot other than Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs, and maybe CeeDee Lamb if you still believe he has the ability to assert himself as a #1.

Why would Payton want to hitch his wagon to Dak Prescott? I would wait and see if the Chargers job becomes available if I’m Payton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

They’re both SB winning coaches, both had top 3-4 QBs when they won. Both have struggled with lesser QBs, MM in 2020/2021 and Payton this year.

There’s nothing about Dallas that would make it an attractive landing spot other than Micah Parsons, Trevon Diggs, and maybe CeeDee Lamb if you still believe he has the ability to assert himself as a #1.

Why would Payton want to hitch his wagon to Dak Prescott? I would wait and see if the Chargers job becomes available if I’m Payton.
Has Sean Payton ever had the receiving talent on a team that the Cowboys have now? Hell he even made Winston look respectable. Before getting hurt Winston was having by far the best year of his career. (102.8 QB rating compared to a previous career high of 92) I actually think he knows he could take a QB like Dak to another level and would love to have guys like Cooper and Lamb out there at receiver.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Their resumes are extremely similar but for me by the eye test Payton with the Saints was more impressive than McCarthy with the Packers. The Packers felt more like singular excellence from Rodgers rather than a fully integrated scheme/design that evolves over time, which is what I saw out of Payton's Saints.

The Saints went from one of the most pass-heavy teams in the league under Payton over his first maybe 5-7 years to one of the more run-heavy teams as Brees aged, while still maintaining their explosiveness.

And let's not forget that the Saints basically had a 2nd Super Bowl appearance robbed from them with the non-PI call against the Rams. The Packers never made another Super Bowl after 2010, they lost under extremely unlikely circumstances to Seattle in 2014, but that was their fault as opposed to a clear referee mistake that led to a rule change.

McCarthy was also roasted pretty consistently for his in-game decision making, which we've seen hints of here. That's never been the case with Payton.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I know the answer, but the frustrating question in my mind is, why does Garrett get 100 years to waste Ware, Witten and Romo, but MM gets 2-3 years?

It’s bullshit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I know the answer, but the frustrating question in my mind is, why does Garrett get 100 years to waste Ware, Witten and Romo, but MM gets 2-3 years?

It’s bullshit.
He hasn't been fired yet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

It’s bullshit.
The answer to your question is that Jerry always regretted losing Payton a year early and basically clung onto the hope of Garrett becoming his Payton.

It's actually the same reason that Payton will be our HC within 2 years at the absolute most.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The clock is now ticking on MM

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Let's also not forget that the son of the Saints GM is like a mid-level executive in our scouting department, I'd imagine the relationship there is very cozy in terms of a potential negotiation in terms of draft pick compensation.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That was not DPI. WR grabbed the defender's facemask and pulled
But when have you ever seen refs pick up the flag in that situation? It was a very close/bang-bang play that could have gone either way.

That play stands 99% of the time.

data

Forbes #1

Sean Payton nearly became Cowboys coach in 2019; could it happen now? - ProFootballTalk

Sean Payton nearly became Cowboys coach in 2019; could it happen now?

With Sean Payton stepping down as head coach of the Saints after 16 years on the job, his next move will become an issue of major intrigue and curiosity. There’s a sense he could land in television for a year or two, perhaps before returning to the NFL.

Or maybe he could simply resurface with a new team. Maybe sooner than later.

He has been linked to the Cowboys on various occasions in the past. He worked there as offensive coordinator under Bill Parcells, before getting the New Orleans job in 2006. Not long ago, Payton nearly became the head coach of the Cowboys.

What follows comes from my new book, Playmakers: How the NFL Really Works (And Doesn’t). The essay from which it’s drawn can be found there, if/when you purchase the book. (The book contains more than 100 total essays about the last 20 years in the NFL.) Consider this a taste, with the obvious goal being that perhaps you’ll decide to buy the whole pie.

The year was 2019. The month, January. The Cowboys had won 10 of 16 games, along with a wild-card contest against the Seahawks. They lost to the Rams in the divisional round, 30-22. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones contemplated an upgrade from coach Jason Garrett to Sean Payton. Jones wanted to pull the trigger. Payton did, too.

Things unfolded quickly. The Saints had played in the NFC Championship, losing to the Rams on January 20. That week, Jones quietly made his move.

It was a delicate situation, for various reasons. First, the Cowboys had a coach. Jones wouldn’t have fired Garrett unless he knew he could have gotten Payton. Second, league rules (specifically, the Rooney Rule) require a diverse and inclusive search. Third, Jones had to ultimately know that, after going through the motions of a search, he’d be able to get Payton.

So a deal was worked out, behind the scenes. The Saints would have allowed the Cowboys to hire Payton. The Cowboys would have compensated the Saints for the rights to Payton’s contract. And Payton would have signed a new contract with the Cowboys.

It was ready to go. It was happening. It was locked, and it was loaded. Then came Monday, January 28. On that day, New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis announced he would not sign another contract with the team, and he requested a trade. (In July, the Pelicans traded him to the Lakers.)

Gayle Benson owns both the Pelicans and the Saints. Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis was, as of January 2019, the executive vice president of basketball operations with the Pelicans. Once Davis made clear his intention to leave New Orleans, Loomis told Payton that Loomis couldn’t be the common thread between a pair of such high-profile Louisiana departures.

That ended it, just like that. The Saints were no longer interested in essentially trading Payton to the Cowboys. In September, Payton signed a new contract. That deal has three years left on it.

And, yes, Jones could once again fire up the behind-the-scenes engine in an effort to land Payton. It would be the same drill as three years ago, however. This time, an unexpected Pelicans-related complication wouldn’t get in the way.

If not now, then maybe 2023. Or 2024. Regardless, the Cowboys have a talented team. And Payton is keenly aware of the fact that no coach in NFL history has won a Super Bowl with two different franchises.

So there’s the story, courtesy of Playmakers. If that leaves you wanting the rest of the pie, well, dig in.
so Monobrow screwed us out of three straight Super Bowls?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not happening this year, but in 2023 you might as well bet the farm (unless we somehow make the NFCC or further of course).
And that is fine. I just hope McCarthy feels the pressure and makes it impossible for Jones to fire him. That means Super Bowl IMO, especially as weak as the NFC could become overnight if Rodgers bails, Brady retires etc. Don't think for a second that Jones didn't think this team (albeit he is too optimistic) had "it" in a watered down conference. He's wrong, of course, but whatever.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Good point. I haven't seen a coach traded for a high draft pick in a long time either. Not sure if teams just don't like to do it or what but we haven't seen a first for a coach in a long time.
Arians took a year off and got traded along with a 7th for a 6th.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And that is fine. I just hope McCarthy feels the pressure and makes it impossible for Jones to fire him. That means Super Bowl IMO, especially as weak as the NFC could become overnight if Rodgers bails, Brady retires etc. Don't think for a second that Jones didn't think this team (albeit he is too optimistic) had "it" in a watered down conference. He's wrong, of course, but whatever.
Yea I mean if we make a Super Bowl next year I'll take my chances on missing out on Payton.

Top Bottom