Quinn Succession Planning

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He would have won two Superbowls with two different teams in a row as DC if Belichick hadn't completely cleaned McVay and Goff's clocks.
I don't think it was so much McVay as it was Goff.

We know now he's a limited QB and there's only so much you can do with guys like that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's a fact, not a narrative.

It happened literally everywhere.

You can argue that the 2 year bump is worth it, but I wouldn't.
I would make him the DC for 2 years but I can see why one would be against it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He also went to some really, really talented defenses.

I think Quinn is a better DC.
We're not full of stars but ours is pretty talented too.

Get us another good pass rusher, a solid NT and LB, and we'd be as talented as any D in football.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
He also went to some really, really talented defenses.
Not usually. I understand you hate him (as many do), but check the facts if you're interested.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not usually. I understand you hate him (as many do), but check the facts if you're interested.
He hates him because, even as bad a HC as Wade was here, (he wasn't helped much by his backstabbing OC, was he?) there is argument for him that he was better than his Red headed crush. Pushing him even further down the list of all time Dallas HCs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Does Quinn have a disciple we could elevate that he wouldn't take with him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Whitt is the closest thing and I think there's a decent chance he'd stay since he has actually spent more time working under McCarthy than Quinn.
Not to mention, wouldn't you want to take over a defense with Parsons, Bland, Diggs and so fourth. As opposed to sort of starting fresh and hoping you can build the talent? You take over in Dallas and keep the defense performing with those same young dudes and suddenly you're on the short list to being a head coach yourself.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not to mention, wouldn't you want to take over a defense with Parsons, Bland, Diggs and so fourth. As opposed to sort of starting fresh and hoping you can build the talent? You take over in Dallas and keep the defense performing with those same young dudes and suddenly you're on the short list to being a head coach yourself.
That and there's also the fact that even if he goes to Seattle and they have a great defense, Quinn likely gets most of the credit and not him, so if I had to guess Whitt will be our DC next year if the organization wants him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What does that have to do with Quinn?
If all goes well with the Cowboys, he is gone. His dream job in Seattle is there (Carroll will have a big say), as well as others he could choose from.

He would be pretty foolish not to strike when the iron is hot per se. I do not see him getting any more attractive as a HC candidate than he is right about now.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If all goes well with the Cowboys, he is gone. His dream job in Seattle is there (Carroll will have a big say), as well as others he could choose from.

He would be pretty foolish not to strike when the iron is hot per se. I do not see him getting any more attractive as a HC candidate than he is right about now.
Okay, so what does any of that have to do with McCarthy?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That and there's also the fact that even if he goes to Seattle and they have a great defense, Quinn likely gets most of the credit and not him, so if I had to guess Whitt will be our DC next year if the organization wants him.
That's very true as well. Hell look at Staley, one great year as a defensive coordinator and he got the head coach job with the Chargers. Offensive minded head coach, great defense, and he got all the credit for it. So basically if he has aspirations of being a head coach staying in Dallas as the defensive coordinator is the fastest path there.

There is also the added bonus that he is African American. So if we can hire him as the defensive coordinator, if at any point a team wants him as a head coach we get draft picks as compensation. I feel dirty for saying it but the NFL put me in that position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah I mean if Quinn wants to be a head coach again this is probably the time to do it. I'm assuming he wants to be a head coach again otherwise he wouldn't be taking the interviews. But ultimately it also takes two to tango so we will also have to wait and see if any of the teams he wants actually offer him a job. He would be foolish to take just any job for the sake of saying he is a head coach again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Dallas Cowboys hired Joe Whitt Jr. in 2021 to direct the secondary and pass defense.

In Whitt's first season leading the Cowboys secondary, the passing defense improved by leaps and bounds, ranking in the top-10 in opponent completions-per-game (21.4 - ninth), completion percentage (59.5% - third) and interceptions (26 - first). Cornerback Trevon Diggs experienced a meteoric rise in 2021, becoming one of the best players at his position as he led the NFL with a franchise-high tying 11 interceptions. Overall, Diggs became the third Cowboy - fifth time - to lead the league in interceptions and the first since Everson Walls in 1985 (nine). To top it off, Diggs was selected to his first Pro Bowl and earned first-team All-Pro honors. Diggs also led the team with 21 pass breakups. Safety Jayron Kearse paced the defense with a career-high 92 tackles during his first season with the team, while Anthony Brown set single-season career-bests in tackles (79), pass breakups (17) and picks (three). Jourdan Lewis proved his versatility to the secondary as well, recording 1.5 sacks and 11 pass breakups - one-of-three defensive backs in the NFL with multiple sacks and double-digit breakups in 2021.

Whitt came to Dallas after serving in the same capacity with the Atlanta Falcons - under Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn - in 2020. Whitt also worked under McCarthy while both were with the Green Bay Packers (2008-18).

After getting his start in the NFL with the Falcons in 2007, Whitt returned to Atlanta in 2020 as the pass game coordinator/secondary coach. In 2020 Whitt worked with first round draft pick A.J. Terrell, who put together a solid first year at cornerback, breaking up seven passes and recording an interception.

Whitt spent the 2019 season with the Cleveland Browns as the pass game coordinator/secondary coach, and his Cleveland unit ranked in the top-10 against the pass, allowing 216.9 yards-per-game (seventh). The Browns defense totaled 14 interceptions, tied for eighth in the NFL.

Before landing in Cleveland, Whitt was hired on McCarthy's staff to serve as a defensive quality control coach for the Packers in 2008. After one season in that capacity, Whitt was promoted to secondary/cornerbacks coach, a position he held for nine seasons (2009-17). He then became the team's defensive pass game coordinator for the 2018 season. Through his tenure in Green Bay, he helped the team win Super Bowl XLV, and he coached the Packers to a league-high 176 interceptions while ranking ninth in opponent passer rating (83.2). In the same span, the Packers ranked seventh in opponent completion percentage (59.8) and touchdown-to-interception ratio (1.34). He also saw cornerbacks Tramon Williams (18) and Sam Shields (15) combine for 33 interceptions from 2010-14, the most in the league during that time between two teammates. In Whitt's first three seasons (2009-11) as cornerbacks coach, the Packers led the NFL in interceptions twice (2009 and 2010), posting 85 total picks. It was the most by the Packers over a three-year period since 1943-45 (95) and the most by an NFL team since the Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers each posted 86 from 1986-88.

In 2009 Whitt helped Hall of Famer Charles Woodson to the best season of his career, earning defensive player of the year honors on the strength of a career-best nine interceptions, four forced fumbles, 18 pass breakups and three defensive touchdowns. Woodson is one-of-11 defensive backs in the 49-year history of the award to be named Defensive Player of the Year.

Whitt made his NFL coaching debut in Atlanta (2007) as the assistant defensive backs coach. He entered the NFL coaching ranks after a five-year stint in college football with The Citadel (wide receivers, 2002) and Louisville (cornerbacks, 2003-06).

Whitt played collegiately at Auburn as a walk-on wide receiver, eventually earning a scholarship. After suffering through injuries, he transitioned into a student assistant coach for his final two years of school and graduated in 2001 with a degree in communications.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Okay, so what does any of that have to do with McCarthy?
If he stays in Dallas, it is to be the HC otherwise he is likely gone. I don't know what you see beyond a gut feeling that indicates he stays.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If he stays in Dallas, it is to be the HC otherwise he is likely gone. I don't know what you see beyond a gut feeling that indicates he stays.
and short of a first round exit type of major collapse, McCarthy isnt budging.

Top Bottom