Quinn Succession Planning

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Now that the Seattle job has opened up I think Quinn is almost certainly gone. I doubt he ends up anywhere else but I'd put the odds of him ending up in Seattle around 75% at the least.

With that said, I don't see many slam dunk DC candidates floating around the league right now (maybe Evero or Frazier), so I'd be most inclined to simply make Whitt the DC next year, assuming he'd rather stay here and be DC rather than go to Seattle where Quinn would likely get the credit for whatever defensive success they have.

At any rate, the main reason I'd do it is because there are a bunch of former DC's who are now HC's who will be on the hot seat going into 2024 that would make for great DC candidates in 2025. You have Dennis Allen, Saleh, Eberflus and Todd Bowles off the top of my head, and I'm sure at least 1-2 of them will be goners after next season.

I'd rather go with an internal candidate now who we could easily get rid of after 2024 if we so choose, rather than bring in a brand new guy who we feel obligated to give some time to when guys like Saleh and Allen might be out there.

If Whitt leaves with Quinn I'd probably go after Evero, Leslie Frazier, or maybe even Rivera if he wants to jump back in.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Al Harris would be my choice. Wha he’s done with these young secondary guys is ridiculous. Don’t let that get away.

Also, Quinn would be a moron to take a job with no QB.
good call. I was thinking similarly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Al Harris would be my choice. Wha he’s done with these young secondary guys is ridiculous. Don’t let that get away.

If I am Camo Hat, I take Harris and reinstall their defensive identity that runs through the secondary.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think Harris is ready to be a DC, he basically said that he doesn't teach any scheme, it's all just narrowly focused on how to play their man, tendencies and such.

I don't think he understands enough about all the different positions to be the DC in charge of connecting, and mixing/matching what everybody is doing.

I'd much prefer someone like Whitt who is basically Quinn's right hand man/assistant DC to begin with.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Obviously if Vrabel doesn't get a HC job you pay him whatever it takes to make him DC. He'd probably be one and done and move on to a HC job in 2025 so you still get to go after the Saleh's, Allen's and so forth.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
This team is in win-now mode. You don't promote an unproven guy that you can easily dump in a year. Get the best guy you can now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Leslie Frazier would be a clear upgrade, maybe Evero, maybe Rivera.

But I think there's a reasonable expectation that Whitt could be a really good DC, so I'm fine with that gamble with the idea of moving on after next season depending on how it goes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Leslie Frazier would be a clear upgrade, maybe Evero, maybe Rivera.

But I think there's a reasonable expectation that Whitt could be a really good DC, so I'm fine with that gamble with the idea of moving on after next season depending on how it goes.
Evero is getting cock blocked so far. No to Rivera. I have seen enough of him. Frazier is too old.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Evero is getting cock blocked so far. No to Rivera. I have seen enough of him. Frazier is too old.
Who gives a shit how old he is? Jim Johnson was a great DC until he was like 78.

I think Frazier would be the only clear upgrade, the other two are questionable.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The Ryan Brothers. :unsure

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
I'd imagine they'd promote from within. Someone who will say they'll try to replicate Quinn's philosophy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

He's been outstanding as our DB coach and I'd hate to lose him, but being able to teach those guys proper technique doesn't necessarily mean he's an X's and O's guru.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He's been outstanding as our DB coach and I'd hate to lose him, but being able to teach those guys proper technique doesn't necessarily mean he's an X's and O's guru.
But he could be and nobody will know until he gets the chance.

I prefer Whitt right now but what if Quinn takes Whitt?

Top Bottom