Quinn Succession Planning

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
It seems the league has decided Belichick is a dinosaur -- too old and too rigid for today's players. And no owner or FO is going to give him what he had in NE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did an overall good job here and simultaneously a shockingly bad job in his last game that contributed strongly to the season's demise. Both can be true.
Yeah I mean I think he is a good defensive. coordinator. It ended on a very sour note. And like Simp has pointed out things just seemed to stop progressing or even took a step back. A year ago no one was blaming the defense after the 49ers loss. This year the defense just totally made a fool of themselves.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah I mean I think he is a good defensive. coordinator. It ended on a very sour note. And like Simp has pointed out things just seemed to stop progressing or even took a step back. A year ago no one was blaming the defense after the 49ers loss. This year the defense just totally made a fool of themselves.
He just couldn’t beat the Metrosexual Offense. That is my main complaint other than laying an egg in his final game.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He just couldn’t beat the Metrosexual Offense. That is my main complaint other than laying an egg in his final game.
Improved the defense overall, but never figured out how to stop the run. We were in the 18-20 range during his tenure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is McVay part of the metrosexual offense? Or is it only the Shannahan tree. I mean we did beat the Rams this season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Improved the defense overall, but never figured out how to stop the run. We were in the 18-20 range during his tenure.
His priority was always about the pass defense. I just don't know that it was a priority in his mind to stop the run. Which may seem crazy to some people but I think Quinn's philosphy was more like, we will stop the run enough on the way to the QB, to force the pass and we will be really good at rushing the QB in those instances.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Out of 18 games last year they only had what I would consider two excellent performances against a quality opponent, and that was the second game against Philly who we didn't yet realize were about to nosedive for the rest of the year, and the Rams who hadn't found their rhythm quite yet and were missing arguably the engine to their offense in Kyren Williams.

They were solid for the most part against Detroit and Miami but gave up end of game scoring drives that effectively lost or tied the game in each one, and were pure shit in 5 others (Arizona, SF, Seattle, Buffalo, Green Bay).

Aside from those games you have Washington X 2, NYG X 2, Philly on the road, NYJ, Chargers and Carolina, all either average or worse opponents and/or average or worse performances (Philly and the first Washington game primarily).

They never regained the form they showed in the playoffs at San Francisco the year prior and were too boom/bust throughout the season. I think Quinn realized this and it's why he became much more open to jumping for any HC job he could get.

In short, I think our defense under Quinn had peaked barring any major personnel additions, and I bet he would admit that.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
If the Shanahan variants are called the Metrosexual Offense (with obvious enviousness) what is the McCarthy offense called? The Old-Fat -Guy-Obsolete Offense?

In the GB playoff debacle, the GB DBs were signalling to each other, calling out what the routes were going to be. That pre-snap recognition is part of what led to two picks. And even at that, GB fired Barry. So a fired DC had McCarthy's scheme figured out. Blame Quinn if you want, but McCarthy is a big white whale washed up on the beach.

Clearly, teams are leaning toward younger, more innovative coaching philosophies -- on both sides of the ball.

What is Jerry leaning toward? Vacuuming more and more money out of the fan base's pockets?

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
That's the hard thing. Winning 12 games is hard even with the most talented roster in the NFL. I don't entirely blame McCarthy for this teams post season failures. Those were happening long before McCarthy got here. They were happening before Dak got here. This is a Jerry Jones and a Dallas Cowboys culture created by Jerry Jones that I think breeds post season failure. I doubt that we will ever again hire a coach that can tell Jerry to fuck off and break that culture. So yeah, I personally would probably set the bar lower for McCarthy but that's just because Jerry.
The problem is, they don't hand out any trophies for winning 12 games. They hand out a trophy for winning the conference championship games, and the SB -- but only the one really counts.

Granted, that's only two teams, and then one, out of 32. But what you call the "culture" of post season failure is, for Jerry, good enough to keep the lemmings running over the cliff.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Witt probably isn’t the answer unless he is going 180 degrees opposite the direction Quinn went with DT, LB and Safety. We need to get much much better across all 3 positions and implement a scheme using all 3 differently in order to win a Championship and SB.
The stunts and twists to get to the QB open up huge holes that expose our undersized LBs to efficient running games. We bumble thru the shit teams but the real teams that expose that shit eat us alive.

Top Bottom