New Coaching Staff Thread...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I can't watch that. I really tried, but Stephen A makes it impossible for me.
Too bad he didn't try to do that with Larry Allen. Why do some people think discussing means yelling. It doesnt get your point across at all and to have that on a national broadcast is embarrassing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems to me that we set off a bit of a chain reaction by hiring McCarthy. He interviewed with all three of the Panthers/Giants/Browns, including twice with the Panthers, so after McCarthy's off the board it seems that the Giants were completely zeroed in on Rhule, who the Panthers then swooped in for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is interesting that there seems to be way more than 4 candidates available for jobs, yet the four teams with openings all had like the same 3 guys on their coaching search list. McCarthy.... Rhule....

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems to me that we set off a bit of a chain reaction by hiring McCarthy. He interviewed with all three of the Panthers/Giants/Browns, including twice with the Panthers, so after McCarthy's off the board it seems that the Giants were completely zeroed in on Rhule, who the Panthers then swooped in for.
I think it's telling that everyone may have had McCarthy near the top of their list which is why we are seeing all the pieces fall now.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So is it fair to say that right now, it looks like Jerry and Stephen did a good job?

I mean, I don't like them either, but credit where credit is due.

vince

Not So New Member
Anyone know where Urban Meyer has interviewed? Haven't heard much.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I havent seen that he has interviewed at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So is it fair to say that right now, it looks like Jerry and Stephen did a good job?

I mean, I don't like them either, but credit where credit is due.
It's hard to say without knowing how serious any of these other teams were about McCarthy. The Panthers interviewed him twice but continued conducting interviews. Was he their top choice? Second?

Same with the Giants, there's no way of knowing how interested they were.

Based on the circumstantial evidence it would seem that he was at least near the top of the list for the Panthers considering how quickly they moved on Rhule afterward but there's no way of knowing for sure.

Given that they were only interested in guys with HC experience you could argue they did a "good job" as far as their preferences go since McCarthy was as good as you'd get in that regard and he could've easily been offered by one of these other teams, but is that really "good" if you think that mentality is flawed in the first place?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
They were talking about him on the radio yesterday saying he's not serious about taking a job right now

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah, let's get real here. This is not an underwhelming hire. I'd have preferred a college guy, but McCarthy has a great pedigree.
Yes he has a pedigree and is very positive. Who would have been a better hire that is actually available?

vince

Not So New Member
Yes he has a pedigree and is very positive. Who would have been a better hire that is actually available?
No one yet. But Greg Roman was someone I felt would've been worth the wait to interview.

Top Bottom