New Coaching Staff Thread...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So you thought he needed both victories to stay? Winning the division wasn’t enough
Winning the division would have made Jerry giddy for about 2 weeks. Assuming they lose to Seattle, I think how they lost that game would've determined Garrett's fate.

I'm going to guess that he would've needed a win to keep his job, but because he loves that guy so much I can't say it would've shocked me to see him take that division title and use it to justify another contract.

Thankfully Garrett did a Garrett and failed in the situations he always fails in and allowed us to finally leave behind that era of hell.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
How do we really know that those initial meetings didn’t serve as his unofficial firing? Just because the media didn’t have anyone inside to tell us what transpired doesn’t mean it was about keeping him around .
We can only go by what's being reported, but the following reads like they didn't give Garrett any official status update until they decided to hire McCarthy:

On Sunday, Jan. 5, the Joneses were convinced McCarthy was their guy and they informed Garrett he would not be back in 2020, as Fox Sports first reported. Jones put out a lengthy statement thanking Garrett for his work and dedication after so many years as a player, assistant coach and head coach, dating to 1992.
So the same day they decided on McCarthy is the same day they finally told Garrett he was out?

Dysfunctional yet believable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Stuff like this just reaffirms my belief that NFCC or bust was never the standard for Garrett as many speculated.

It's clear that Jerry did have a goal in mind that Garrett had to meet in order to be given a new contract, but I don't think that goal was reaching X game in the playoffs. I think it was more about whether Garrett could give him hope that he could eventually get over the hump.

And as I said weeks ago, I truly believe that had he won in Philly and somehow beaten the Seahawks in the WC round, that would've been all Jerry would've needed to justify bringing him back because of his leadership and resiliency blah blah blah.

Thank you Garrett for being you. It's how we finally got out of this mess.
I think the standard was a playoff win and not getting blown out in the second round.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The guy who lived in his car and got canned after one year? Oh yes, bring him in.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And as I said weeks ago, I truly believe that had he won in Philly and somehow beaten the Seahawks in the WC round, that would've been all Jerry would've needed to justify bringing him back because of his leadership and resiliency blah blah blah.
No doubt. Jerry could barely stand to let him go even missing the playoffs at 8-8.

And Seattle didn't even look that good against that depleted Eagles team. So Dallas could have won that game. ~ shudder ~

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd be great with Fassel as STs but not sure he'd come here, when he was on All or Nothing the year they did Jeff Fisher he made a big point of how happy he was he got to stay when Fisher was fired so he didn't have to move his family

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

data

Forbes #1
Both Tomsula and Fassel would be huge upgrades.

People overrated Marinelli in terms of how he could connect with players. Dumb nicknames only go so far.
No, no, no, no, no......kemosabe

Marinelli goes. ‘Hot Boyz’ stayz

Top Bottom