Michael Bennett?

GShock

DCC 4Life
As an aside, when he leaves at the end of the season, Quinn gets a FA contract, Collins leaves, and we cut Crawford, we are going to have a whole lot of nothing on the defensive line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an aside, when he leaves at the end of the season, Quinn gets a FA contract, Collins leaves, and we cut Crawford, we are going to have a whole lot of nothing on the defensive line.
We could resign Quinn potentially. But maybe we actually try in free agency to sign someone besides a pure scrub. It sort of forces our hand because there is no way this staff is going to count on all rookies to fill those holes.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
I thought Hill was Collins’ replacement.
He is, but he cant play worth anything right now so he probably wont be active the rest of the season. Instead of Hill and Collins inside on passing downs (esp 3rd) you're likely to see Bennett and Collins.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Alright Jerry, how about a safety?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck this fucking piece of rotting shit. I absolutely can't stand this dude.

But, if he can help, a 7th/6th is worth it. I just really really hate this guy.

Cotton

Staff member
THE FUCKING START WILSON, YOU ABSOLUTE MUPPET!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Dolphins, Redskins, Jets.
We have DL who didn't get sacks against the Dolphins, Redskins, or Jets...so I'll take it.

Plus we don't have to hear about Garrett's "right kind of guy bullshit". Actually it'd be interesting if he's questioned about it the very next time he says, "Hey guys, how we doin?"

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Right kind of guy ain't working, bro.

I hope he comes out pissed with something to prove, but if he doesn't they should run him out the door.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is, but he cant play worth anything right now so he probably wont be active the rest of the season. Instead of Hill and Collins inside on passing downs (esp 3rd) you're likely to see Bennett and Collins.
I don't see any hope for Baby Huey. He is dogshit awful. Not even a glimpse of promise.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't see any hope for Baby Huey. He is dogshit awful. Not even a glimpse of promise.
Imagine how pissed we'd be if Jeff Heath kept Juan Thornhill on the bench though.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Can't win much more than NE and it didn't help there.

Dude is a piece of shit and I want him far away from this team.
You're forgetting how much Garrett's clapping and grinning on the sideline can turn a frown upside down. Bennett will be a happy camper under Garrett, just wait and see.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Reshad Jone? 10 year vet. Hmmm.... His play trajectory is going the wrong way.

p1_

DCC 4Life

so, what's the deal with Bennett? Just an asshole or what? Im ignorant on this one.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It seems very early for declarations, but my god, man. This looks like a complete swing and a miss. Has that doddering old man lost his mind completely? I thought he was some DL/DT whisperer.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=1][/h]
Here’s why Cowboys traded future late-round pick to Patriots for 3-time Pro Bowl DE Michael Bennett

By Jon Machota Oct 24, 2019

For the second consecutive year, the Cowboys made a notable trade during their bye week. This one is nowhere near the magnitude of the Amari Cooper deal that sent a first-round pick to the Oakland Raiders, but Dallas is still adding a veteran who should make an immediate impact.

On Thursday, the Cowboys agreed to send a conditional 2021 seventh-round pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for 33-year-old defensive lineman Michael Bennett, according to a source.

Dallas’ biggest need heading into next Tuesday’s NFL’s trade deadline is run-stoppers. The addition of Bennett doesn’t necessarily upgrade the Cowboys in that area. This move is more about replacing Tyrone Crawford, who had hip surgery last week and was recently placed on injured reserve.

Like Crawford, Bennett is expected to work in the defensive end rotation in Dallas’ 4-3 scheme, a better fit for him than the 3-4 defense he played in with the Patriots. Bennett will likely get opportunities behind DeMarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn to rush as an end on first and second downs and then move inside to tackle, like Crawford did, on third downs.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli prefers getting the majority of the pass rush from his front four. On passing downs, the Cowboys can now go with Lawrence and Quinn on the outside and Bennett and Maliek Collins inside. This could also mean less blitzes from middle linebacker Jaylon Smith, who has rushed quite a bit this season.

If Bennett’s production can return to what it was in previous years, the Cowboys got a steal. Bennett had nine sacks for the Philadelphia Eagles last year. He had eight and a half in 2017 with the Seattle Seahawks.

If the trade doesn’t work out, the Cowboys don’t lose much. His base salary for the rest of this season is just under $2 million, and his base salary next year is $7 million. According to Spotrac, his 2020 salary is not guaranteed.

“We’re always looking to improve our team,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Thursday morning before the trade was made. “It’s really a 365-day-out-of-the-year proposition, so I know our personnel people are talking to people around the league. They’re always fielding phone calls. They’re always evaluating our team and players all over the league, and if anything strikes our interest as we get closer, we’ll certainly look at it.

“You’re always looking for guys who can make your team better.”

There are reasons to be skeptical of the move. Despite Bennett’s upside as a pass rusher, he has now been traded three times in 19 months. And all teams involved are among the top run organizations in the league.

His playing time in New England steadily decreased this season. After playing 37 defensive snaps in Week 1, that total diminished to 25 in Week 2 and then continued to decrease until he eventually only played 11 defensive snaps in Week 6.

Bennett was then suspended during Week 7 for conduct detrimental to the team. He told ESPN the suspension was because of a “philosophical disagreement” with Patriots defensive line coach Bret Bielema.

“It’s America, you can voice your opinion about how you feel about certain situations,” Bennett told reporters when he returned. “That’s what I did.”

What did he take away from the suspension?

“I didn’t take away nothing,” he said. “I got suspended. I lost money. What am I supposed to take away from that? There is no love lost, that’s just how it is.”

When asked if he wanted to be traded, Bennett said, “That’s up to them and how they feel about it. I like playing here. It’s all the same.”

So if things didn’t work out for Bennett in Seattle, Philadelphia and New England, why do the Cowboys think it will in Dallas?

Dallas didn’t work out for Bennett’s brother, Martellus, after he was drafted in the second round by the Cowboys in 2008. The tight end played four seasons in silver and blue before signing with the New York Giants as a free agent in 2012. He made it clear that he wasn’t happy with his lack of opportunities in the Cowboys’ offense while playing behind Jason Witten.

The Cowboys believe they are currently built to deal with any potential distractions because of the strong group of leaders they already have on the roster. The bigger reason why this move made sense for them is because defensive play-caller Kris Richard was the defensive coordinator in Seattle during the three seasons Bennett made the Pro Bowl, from 2015 to 2017.

When given opportunities this season, Bennett showed he can still get after the passer. He had two and a half sacks and four QB hits. He tied a career high with 30 QB hits last season.

As the Cowboys proved this year by drafting defensive tackle Trysten Hill over several top safeties still on the board in the second round, they believe a strong pass rush will lead to more turnovers — at the line of scrimmage and on the back end. And there was no better example of the impact those turnovers can have than when they had a season-high four in last week’s blowout win over Philadelphia.

Here are Bennett’s two solo sacks this year. In both, Bennett (77) is lined up on the inside, which is where he will likely make his biggest impact with the Cowboys as long as Lawrence and Quinn stay healthy. If either of those elite pass rushers goes down, Bennett would see more time on the outside.
  • On third and 10 in Week 2, Bennett works around the outside of a double-team to take down Dolphins quarterback Josh Rosen.

Cotton

Staff member
so, what's the deal with Bennett? Just an asshole or what? Im ignorant on this one.
Well, for one, he falsely claimed a cop beat him down. Turns out it did not happen (there is video), so he filed a false report. That alone to me makes him a POS.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
He was one of the best 2-3 DL on the Eagles last year, 2nd in sacks, led them in TFL, and I remember him absolutely blowing up our OL on a handful of plays in the OT game in Dallas. He was also a monster in the playoffs against the Bears/Saints. He has 2.5 sacks in just 130 snaps, compare that to Lawrence (3.5 in 294) and Quinn (6 in 215), and he'd probably have at least 3.5-4 right now on the same volume. Give me that sort of play and I don't give two left fucks what he thinks about cops or whatever.

Top Bottom