Michael Bennett?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Just traded to the Cowboys from New England for a conditional pick in 2020 I think it said.

Is he even good anymore?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Conditional 7th in 2021 per nfl.com

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If he can get to the qb, bring his peewee-pad wearing ass on down!

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
much better than overpaying for a turd like Leonard Williams

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Not a bad move, he's just such a pos I don't want him on my team

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I still say fuck Martellus though, whiny ass

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
Reading between the lines, but Bennett is Crawford's replacement and necessary because Hill is not ready.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
He gonna be a hot boy before trysten.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

dbair1967

DCC 4Life

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
The mere fact the Patriots would trade him to Dallas makes me think New England thinks Dallas is no threat to them (with or without Bennett) and/or Bennett aint worth the trouble

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
The mere fact the Patriots would trade him to Dallas makes me think New England thinks Dallas is no threat to them (with or without Bennett) and/or Bennett aint worth the trouble
Well we don't play in the AFC, so yeah we're really no threat to him.

That said, they suspended him a week ago for getting into an argument with his position coach, they probably wanted to wash their hands of him and they weren't using him that much anyway from what I read.

dbair1967

DCC 4Life
In the new, trade-happy NFL, there are plenty of deals to discuss around the trade deadline, which is 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Oct. 29.

As the deadline approaches, I'll grade each swap: [HR][/HR][h=2]Thursday, Oct. 24[/h]
[h=2]NE trades DE Michael Bennett to DAL[/h]
New England Patriots get: 2021 seventh-round pick (conditional)
Dallas Cowboys get: DE Michael Bennett

Patriots grade: C
Cowboys grade: A

The writing was on the wall for the short-lived relationship between Bennett and the Patriots, who acquired the pass-rusher from the Eagles in the offseason. Bennett was expected to start as the replacement for Trey Flowers in the Patriots' defense, but with the likes of Jamie Collins and John Simon assuming larger-than-expected roles in a historically impressive defense, Bennett instead spent time as a reserve. After playing just 130 snaps through six games -- including 11 in Week 6 -- Bennett reportedly got into a disagreement with defensive line coach Bret Bielema, which led him to be suspended for the Week 7 blowout victory over the Jets.

In the end, it was probably best for everyone involved to move on. The Patriots will save about $2.6 million in base salary and per-game roster bonuses by trading Bennett in what amounts to a salary dump, given that they're only receiving a seventh-round pick in the 2021 draft for him. (The pick can become a sixth-rounder if he or the Cowboys meet as-yet-unspecified triggers.)

Even given that the Patriots have done just fine without Bennett in a starring role, I have to figure the best-case scenario would have been to keep Bennett around as part of New England's inevitable postseason run. He had 2.5 sacks and four knockdowns in limited time this season, but he was coming off a nine-sack, 30-knockdown campaign for the Eagles in 2018. Those numbers are just ahead of what Za'Darius Smith produced for the Ravens a year ago and right behind Yannick Ngakoue's 2018 numbers for the Jags. By sheer pass-rush production, Bennett has been a superstar.
Michael Bennett disappointed in his short stint with the Patriots, but he could help Dallas down the stretch. Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire
And yet, the Patriots are now the third team to trade him away for what would appear to be pennies on the dollar since the 2018 offseason. There's certainly a huge disconnect between his on-field production and his trade value, and three of the league's most well-regarded organizations -- the Seahawks, Eagles and Patriots -- have now moved on from him across the last 19 months.

For the Cowboys, though, this is absolutely a risk worth taking. They're only on the hook for about $1.8 million in base salary over the remainder of 2019, with $8.25 million in unguaranteed compensation left on his deal in 2020. Dallas ranks 22nd in pressure rate through seven weeks, so adding Bennett offers the defense a much-needed boost behind DeMarcus Lawrence and Robert Quinn.

With Tyrone Crawford now on injured reserve, I suspect you'll see coordinator Rod Marinelli use Bennett on the interior on passing downs to get Dallas' three best pass-rushers on the field at the same time. The Cowboys might also grow tired of Bennett, but the possible reward here greatly outweighs the modest risk

Top Bottom