Giants Stuff…

p1_

DCC 4Life
This was such a Washington staple it feels dirty to use it somehow.

But then you watch Tyler Smith pulling and wearing #73 and get chills.

Washington's back's lead step was more pronounced than Pollard initial half-step half-lean left.
It does feel kinda slimy , but that was a long time ago.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A play-caller like Shannahan or McVay would use this play concept and build similar looking concepts off of it to put defenses in a bind.

For example, you could run the same OL action, and with Biadasz/Martin/Steele/Ferguson all blocking down to their left on the play you could have the exact same looking action with them all taking a hard 2-3 steps down to the left, but after his first 2-3 steps Ferguson then leaks out and across the middle dragging towards the left sideline.

The defense will see the OL action and assume it's a running play to the offense's right and unless their LB's are extremely disciplined you could have Ferguson popping out wide open for a 5-10 yard gain.

Ferguson's route would primarily be a man-beater since he's dragging across to the left sideline in hopes that the defense crashes the opposite way thinking that it's a run. So then you could build in a zone beating route, perhaps with a WR sitting down in the middle of the field at 10-12 yards or so of depth.

This would also put the safeties in a bind depending on their alignment from crashing down hard on Ferguson who is running towards the left sideline (from the Cowboys offense's perspective), they'd either have to crash hard on Ferguson and leave the WR sitting down in space, or sit on the WR while Ferguson runs into space.

The key is making sure the OL doesn't get too far out over their skis and get called for illegal man downfield, they have to stay within 1-2 yards of the LOS.

A great play-caller/designer would build in counters on top of counters on plays like this and have the OL and the TE very finely tuned to make sure everything looked the same and all the details were tight to really deceive the defense.

Can Moore do this, and Philbin to a lesser extent, while also intuitively being able to time it properly to really impact the defense at the right time and down/distance in the game?

That's the real question.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I know Riley used a lot of counter trey at Oklahoma, too. So did Briles sometimes at Baylor. Briles was the first I saw to actually run play action off it. The defense sees the G-T pulling and assumes it's a run, then there's lots of room to throw behind them.

I think this is mostly taking advantage of what our players do best. Tyron was quick enough in a small area but he wasn't a runner like Tyler. For that matter, Steele can really run, too.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't think Zeke makes it through that hole.

Pollard times it and shows no hesitation...sure wish he'd work on his blocking.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Im an equal opportunity kind of fan now. I hope everybody beats this team.

That's where I'm at. What possible fucking good would winning 8 or 9 games do? More of the same shit for another quarter century

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's where I'm at. What possible fucking good would winning 8 or 9 games do? More of the same shit for another quarter century
Way too early for me to actively root against the team. Everyone is so worked up over one game to start the season. But truth is, opening week games are notoriously not indictive of what a team will look like late in the season.

Not saying I think we will win this year. But we are a young team, a very talented defense and really good special teams. If we can run the ball consistently we could definitely be dangerous. At that point Rush or Dak is just feeding off the success of the other parts.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Martindale loves exotic looks and bringing all out pressures, if I were Rush I'd be looking to throw a number of 50/50 balls to Lamb and Gallup along the sideline to simplify my reads and take advantage of them being too aggressive with the pressures.

Their CB's are pretty shit so we should be putting pressure on Lamb/Gallup to win their 1 on 1 matchups when Martindale inevitably goes to 0 coverage looks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Way too early for me to actively root against the team. Everyone is so worked up over one game to start the season. But truth is, opening week games are notoriously not indictive of what a team will look like late in the season.

Not saying I think we will win this year. But we are a young team, a very talented defense and really good special teams. If we can run the ball consistently we could definitely be dangerous. At that point Rush or Dak is just feeding off the success of the other parts.
If you were to look at the Tampa game as succession from the final game of last season, the loss to the 9ers, then the view changes somewhat.

Top Bottom