Giants Stuff…

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah Schultz isn't a weapon. He finds spots in zones well and has solid run after the catch and good hands. I think Ferguson gives you those same qualities with better blocking and effort. So yeah, I rest Schultz if it's close. And right now Schultz wouldn't be getting any franchise tag type money next year. After this season he may be willing to come back at a severe discount.

Our big contracts have really disappointed this year. Tyron Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, Dalton Schultz, Zeke and Dak Prescott. Now some of that will change but right now none of those guys have even turned out a top performance for their position for this team. We may be shedding a few of those contracts after this year. Probably not Dak but the other 4 highly paid guys are probably on their way out.
We'd actually have to eat cap space by cutting Lawrence after this year, so he'll be back, and rightfully so since we aren't going to spend it anywhere else and he's at least elite against the run.

I'd rather wait another year to cut him anyway since I'd like to develop Williams and ideally another high draft pick a bit more on the edge.

As far as Tyron goes, I'd try to restructure his contract to a reduced salary if he's interested in coming back. Start him while you can knowing that you're ready to switch Tyler over when he gets hurt.

Elliott and Schultz can fuck off.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Was Jerry's helicopter handy? :tippytoe

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
We'd actually have to eat cap space by cutting Lawrence after this year, so he'll be back, and rightfully so since we aren't going to spend it anywhere else and he's at least elite against the run.

I'd rather wait another year to cut him anyway since I'd like to develop Williams and ideally another high draft pick a bit more on the edge.

As far as Tyron goes, I'd try to restructure his contract to a reduced salary if he's interested in coming back. Start him while you can knowing that you're ready to switch Tyler over when he gets hurt.

Yep. Elliott needs to go, he’s easily replaced at his current level of performance. Schultz should be replaced with a true hybrid TE like everyone else is using.
Tyron would be decent as a backup, at a very team friendly deal. If not, thanks for the memories man.
Im concerned Feel Sorry Jerry will keep them all around at stupid cap numbers because you know, that’s the kind of shit he does.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yep. Elliott needs to go, he’s easily replaced at his current level of performance. Schultz should be replaced with a true hybrid TE like everyone else is using.
Tyron would be decent as a backup, at a very team friendly deal. If not, thanks for the memories man.
Im concerned Feel Sorry Jerry will keep them all around at stupid cap numbers because you know, that’s the kind of shit he does.
My problem is that I have no faith in them actually re-investing any of this money so it's hard to advocate for cutting a bunch of guys just to watch them sit on it and "roll it over" so they can pay Parsons 35/year in 3 years.

If it were me I'd have a very clear plan for how to take the savings and use them elsewhere, primarily on the defense since that unit looks not too far off from being able to carry a so-so offense to a Super Bowl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah Lawrence has one more year here. Which I'm ok with, he is still a good player. But his pass rush has certainly diminished.

With Armstrong looking solid, Parsons looking like a world beater and Sam Williams up and coming we should be good at DE for a bit.

Elliott is replaceable with a good power back fairly easily. And much cheaper. There was an outside run yesterday by Elliott and you could just see, he doesn't have the speed to turn the corner anymore despite what reports say.

I wish I could say if we let these guys go we would spend the money in free agency. We won't, so we just have to keep looking at the draft.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah Lawrence has one more year here. Which I'm ok with, he is still a good player. But his pass rush has certainly diminished.
Lawrence is more about run defense it seems at this point, but he's damn good at it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
My problem is that I have no faith in them actually re-investing any of this money so it's hard to advocate for cutting a bunch of guys just to watch them sit on it and "roll it over" so they can pay Parsons 35/year in 3 years.

If it were me I'd have a very clear plan for how to take the savings and use them elsewhere, primarily on the defense since that unit looks not too far off from being able to carry a so-so offense to a Super Bowl.
Watching V Miller tonight…I can only imagine the D we’d have with him and Parson on the field together.
But salary cap is so real man. So. Real.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Just posting this here for clarity. A whole separate thread is in Around The League awaits because this one is fun.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ferguson and Hendershot time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ferguson and Hendershot time.
Honestly, Ferguson is probably going to give us better blocking. Which may be more important right now. I think I'm going all in to try to make a dominant running game to compliment this defense. Let our QB's (Whoever it is) throw the ball 25 times a game and try to pound the ball the rest of the time.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Never would have guessed Baldinger would have such good/fun little breakdowns, but they're pretty great. And unlike some internet gurus, he really does know what he's looking at.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Never would have guessed Baldinger would have such good/fun little breakdowns, but they're pretty great. And unlike some internet gurus, he really does know what he's looking at.

I used to hate him on game broadcasts when he was a color guy but he used to be legitimately good as a guy on sports talk radio. These breakdowns are great.

Top Bottom