Dak Watch Thread...

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Am I the only one who was more interested in what Sham thought of their all time draft teams than Bob's War and Peace on Dak's contract?

Because I don't think Dak's contract is that big a deal. I'm convinced he'll be here one way or another, probably eventually getting exactly what he wants.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am I the only one who was more interested in what Sham thought of their all time draft teams than Bob's War and Peace on Dak's contract?

Because I don't think Dak's contract is that big a deal. I'm convinced he'll be here one way or another, probably eventually getting exactly what he wants.
We will talk about it again all next off season too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

p1_

DCC 4Life

Long winded Bob, gives me tired head

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Long winded Bob, gives me tired head
Couldn't agree more. I think he's so overrated other than the great radio voice.

Let me ask you... you're a P1. what do you think about the new lineup? I think Dan was absolutely perfect for Bob, so I think both shows are worse now. I listen mid days fairly often, but I'm not a Corby fan either, so I almost never listen to the new Hardline.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Hell, they wanted to sign him for longer than he even wanted to sign. I'd say they wanted to sign him.
You missed the point.

Of course they want him as their QB, but they still offered him a deal they knew he wouldn't sign.

That was deliberate.

Heading into one or more season where NFL income will at least take a serious hit or nosedive should there actually be fewer games, star players opting out, or even no games at all, I can see why the team might hedge on a bunch more up front guaranteed money.

We will definitely know a lot more next season when we repeat this cycle.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Heading into one or more season where NFL income will at least take a serious hit or nosedive should there actually be fewer games, star players opting out, or even no games at all, I can see why the team might hedge on a bunch more up front guaranteed money.

Unless this is a shitshow of starts, stops, players sitting out and complaining, fans being scared to go to games, some fans being pissed for political reasons, etc... then we won't really know if the next year would return to normal, or if there's been some longer-lasting damage that takes years to recover from.

Which unfortunately seems pretty likely to me.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Couldn't agree more. I think he's so overrated other than the great radio voice.

Let me ask you... you're a P1. what do you think about the new lineup? I think Dan was absolutely perfect for Bob, so I think both shows are worse now. I listen mid days fairly often, but I'm not a Corby fan either, so I almost never listen to the new Hardline.
So I usually listen when I’m in the car, which I havent done alot of driving lately. But I did hear Bob without Dan and wondered WTH was going on.
Bob and Dan were very good together, I thought . Like you, I kinda find Corby annoying , and so am not a big fan of the hard line post Rhiner.
The Ticket is lucky 105.3 is so bad.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Apparently offering Dak a 5-year contract in the neighborhood of $32-$35 million per year means the Cowboys aren't sold on him and don't want him. :rolleyes:
It's the most ridiculous thing I may have ever heard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless this is a shitshow of starts, stops, players sitting out and complaining, fans being scared to go to games, some fans being pissed for political reasons, etc... then we won't really know if the next year would return to normal, or if there's been some longer-lasting damage that takes years to recover from.

Which unfortunately seems pretty likely to me.
There will be a vaccine by next season. So I expect the whole thing to be old news by then. This year is what I worry about. I'm worried that some games will be played with players missing. And then what happens when half a team is out. They cancel or reschedule that game. And then teams will be bitching that their team had to play without 5 stars while another team got there game rescheduled so their 8 stars can play. It seems like it will be impossible to keep it fair. Where do they draw the line on a game? At least Zeke should be good...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently offering Dak a 5-year contract in the neighborhood of $32-$35 million per year means the Cowboys aren't sold on him and don't want him. :rolleyes:
Yeah it's silly, the Cowboys were hoping Dak would cave. Dak was hoping the Cowboys would cave. And at the last second they tried to scramble and bridge the gap. There is no reason to believe the Cowboys didn't want Dak to sign their offer.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yeah it's silly, the Cowboys were hoping Dak would cave. Dak was hoping the Cowboys would cave. And at the last second they tried to scramble and bridge the gap. There is no reason to believe the Cowboys didn't want Dak to sign their offer.
Honestly when you look at Dak's resume and factor in that history has shown that he needs a strong supporting cast around him in order to thrive, it's more than a fair offer.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You missed the point.

Of course they want him as their QB, but they still offered him a deal they knew he wouldn't sign.

That was deliberate.

It's amazing how dialed in you are to the team and what they are thinking/doing.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You missed the point.

That was deliberate.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That doesn't appear to be the case.
They wanted him to take the deal they had offered, but knew he wouldn't take it when he's holding all the cards and can just wait to make even more money.

Of course they want him (don't know where 1big is getting that anyone said otherwise). But they didn't get a deal done when they easily could have which I think says quite a bit about their uncertainty over the impact of Covid.

TV contracts are fixed, but you know sporting event crowds are being prohibited in many states which will have a ripple effect on both team income and the cap too. I also doubt with the economy the way it is as many people and businesses can still afford NFL luxury suites.

So it's a shitshow already and there's probably going to be an impact next year, too. Until they can get vaccines not only developed but distributed to millions of people there absolutely will be a dip in revenues.

This virus is mutating too, so you have to keep creating vaccines similar to the way they make flu shots (if those processes will even apply). That takes a lot of time make happen, and you really can't start until there's an initial proven vaccine to begin with.

The only way to probably hedge is what KC did with the ten year monster deal.

Genghis Khan

Honestly when you look at Dak's resume and factor in that history has shown that he needs a strong supporting cast around him in order to thrive, it's more than a fair offer.

If the reports are more or less true, and I believe they are, the offer was definitely more than fair.

Genghis Khan

They wanted him to take the deal they had offered, but knew he wouldn't take it when he's holding all the cards and can just wait to make even more money.

Of course they want him (don't know where 1big is getting that anyone said otherwise). But they didn't get a deal done when they easily could have which I think says quite a bit about their uncertainty over the impact of Covid.

TV contracts are fixed, but you know sporting event crowds are being prohibited in many states which will have a ripple effect on both team income and the cap too. I also doubt with the economy the way it is as many people and businesses can still afford NFL luxury suites.

So it's a shitshow already and there's probably going to be an impact next year, too. Until they can get vaccines not only developed but distributed to millions of people there absolutely will be a dip in revenues.

This virus is mutating too, so you have to keep creating vaccines similar to the way they make flu shots (if those processes will even apply). That takes a lot of time make happen, and you really can't start until there's an initial proven vaccine to begin with.

The only way to probably hedge is what KC did with the ten year monster deal.

Nah. If they were lowballing him that would be one thing, but it was a reasonable offer. They made him the best offer they were comfortable with and they were hoping he'd accept. That's it.

What you're saying is pretty silly.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Of course they want him (don't know where 1big is getting that anyone said otherwise).
I actually wasn't talking about you specifically. My comment was more about how the national narrative is playing out. A lot of people are acting like the Cowboys don't really want him and are low-balling him. I think the Cowboys are actually attempting to pay him his actual value rather than foolishly overpay him just because he's next up for a contract.

I honestly don't see how offering someone a contract that would make them one of the 3 or 4 highest paid players in the game is low-balling them or a sign or disrespect. Especially for a player who has never won a Super Bowl, never advanced to a conference title game, never won an MVP, or made an All-Pro team. Hell, even his peers don't view Dak that highly. He hasn't been on one of those NFL Network Top 100 lists since his 2016 season.

Top Bottom