Dak Watch Thread...

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
The leverage the team has is the franchise tag. Which is why they have to threaten it. You can get 33 mil a year and a massive bonus or play for 27 mil next year and who knows. Obviously the 33 mil is better than the franchise tag. And that's the Cowboys leverage in the deal. Without a franchise tag NFL teams would have zero leverage in these situations.
It buys them time. Time to either work out a new contract this year or next. But then if they tag him next year, the leverage, and the skyrocketing salaries, switch to the player and the agent.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The leverage the team has is the franchise tag. Which is why they have to threaten it. You can get 33 mil a year and a massive bonus or play for 27 mil next year and who knows. Obviously the 33 mil is better than the franchise tag. And that's the Cowboys leverage in the deal. Without a franchise tag NFL teams would have zero leverage in these situations.
That’s true if Dak would sign a $33M deal but according to the media he was offered that last December and turned it down.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Cowboys were close to $33M per season deal with Dak Prescott, then he asked for more

Prescott asks for more than $33M per season

Prescott wants as much or more than top QBs

Sorry, Dak. You're good, but you ain't that good.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
That’s true if Dak would sign a $33M deal but according to the media he was offered that last December and turned it down.
Something to keep in mind. Notice how even if this report - with no source or validation - is accurate, it still doesn't provide the length of the deal, does it?

No. It doesn't.

And a deal for $33 million a year today looks fine. In 3 years' time? It will look like chump change.

That's why it's about the years, not the salary.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scary I know how you think, sometimes
Well, when you’ve posted with someone for a decade and a half that tends to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak himself has said money isn’t the only factor. The length of the contract, guaranteed money, etc all come into play. That article saying he turned it down because of the annual salary is 100% speculation. Don’t place too much weight in that speculation. He is looking out for himself as well he should.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Dak himself has said money isn’t the only factor. The length of the contract, guaranteed money, etc all come into play. That article saying he turned it down because of the annual salary is 100% speculation. Don’t place too much weight in that speculation. He is looking out for himself as well he should.
wouldn't it be nice if he or his agent could elaborate what he didn't like about the deal. They were content to turn down what was at least substantial money but was okay to play all of last season on the rookie contract pay and by my rough calculations left somewhere in the neighborhood of $30M laying on the table. Now what kind of deal would it have to be to recoup that loss? something is amiss.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
wouldn't it be nice if he or his agent could elaborate what he didn't like about the deal. They were content to turn down what was at least substantial money but was okay to play all of last season on the rookie contract pay and by my rough calculations left somewhere in the neighborhood of $30M laying on the table. Now what kind of deal would it have to be to recoup that loss? something is amiss.
Have the Cowboys officially told the public their offer?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yep. I said if Jones caved on Elliot it would signal trouble especially since Elliot jumped the schedule by two years. When Jones paid that deal he signaled to every agent he would be easy pickings and all a player had to do was hold out and Jones would relent. The ploy by Dak is now threatening Jones with an ultimatum and that should never happen because he isn’t at the level that he can legitimately make those kind of demands. If Jones caves again he has lost all his leverage in the future. Every contract will be met with a holdout threat.
This was going to happen regardless of the Elliot situation. Its not something new.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
OK, I created a separate thread because I wanted to discuss this specific scenario and NOT the subject of the franchise tag. That was my reasoning behind it, because I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle when it is actually discussing two different scenarios.
Look noob, don't make me post a sticky at the top the board with BOLD RED FONT.

You will comply @Stasheroo.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This was going to happen regardless of the Elliot situation. Its not something new.
The Elliot deal showed all that Jones is now a target. He has always taken care of his players but the Elliot deal flipped things around. It showed all the agents that they can back him down. Before Jones has always had the last say about contracts with his generosity. Now no one will wait on that instead they will make demands that will take that part away from him. They may force to him try to get the edge back and it may interfere with the negotiation process for others that deserve a deal but don’t get it and then they walk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something to keep in mind. Notice how even if this report - with no source or validation - is accurate, it still doesn't provide the length of the deal, does it?

No. It doesn't.

And a deal for $33 million a year today looks fine. In 3 years' time? It will look like chump change.

That's why it's about the years, not the salary.
QBs will get 40 soon. The cap is going to jump higher.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The Elliot deal showed all that Jones is now a target. He has always taken care of his players but the Elliot deal flipped things around. It showed all the agents that they can back him down. Before Jones has always had the last say about contracts with his generosity. Now no one will wait on that instead they will make demands that will take that part away from him. They may force to him try to get the edge back and it may interfere with the negotiation process for others that deserve a deal but don’t get it and then they walk.
Emmitt wasnt taken care of and had to hold out.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I’m a contractor who still uses a flip phone, so my HTML skills are lacking, but I just read an article on Yahoo! talking about Brady to us...

From Irvin’s mouth, so take it with the obvious grain of salt.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I’m a contractor who still uses a flip phone, so my HTML skills are lacking, but I just read an article on Yahoo! talking about Brady to us...

From Irvin’s mouth, so take it with the obvious grain of salt.
Just googled it and found this-

Irvin was asked about the idea that Dallas could place the franchise tag on Dak Prescott, only to then turn around and trade the quarterback while signing Brady in free agency. Brady, who has spent his entire 20-year career with the New England Patriots, is set to hit the open market next month. “I’m just telling you right now, at the Super Bowl in Miami, some very significant people that I had some conversations (with were) leaning in that same direction,” Irvin said. “It was shocking. I had a vodka cranberry in my hand and when they said it to me, I put the drink down and said, ‘Let’s talk a little bit more about this.’ I promise you, I had a conversation with people, I can’t tell you who, about that same scenario going down. And I was like, ‘I just don’t know if there’s a real possibility of that happening.’

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
Come on Mike, you know it was a Cosmo
If by Cosmo you mean a few key bumps, then yeah. Not that I judge. I love Mike. I seriously don’t even care that he stabbed a dude with a pair of scissors.

He was a leader on a team that won multiple championships. I root vicariously through his exploits.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Tom Brady as a Cowboy wearing #12...

Ayuh or feh
Imagine the avalanche of headlines, rumors, and speculation. Reporters would swarm Jerry for quotes. Cameras, lights, microphones -- for weeks on end. Jerry would be ecstatic -- in hog heaven. He would be . . . relevant . . . again.

Top Bottom