Dak Watch Thread...

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
If Mahomes is worth 40 then dak is worth no more than 33 to 35. Dak isnt even in the same zip code as Mahomes. 33 is a good number.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Mahomes is worth 40 then dak is worth no more than 33 to 35. Dak isnt even in the same zip code as Mahomes. 33 is a good number.
If the ceiling is $40, then Prescott is worth at most $30.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me Dak gets 35 and that's fair. Probably in the 25 mil range next year.

Last edited:
Hes a little better than average but he needs everything around him to be perfect. Before we had Cooper he couldn't throw for 200 yards a game on a consistent basis. Rogers, Brees, Wilson, makes the playoffs with last years team.
I disagree. Dak played well enough to get to the playoffs, the defense shit the bed and none of those other QBs would have done any better. Plus GARRETT was coach. So there’s that..

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak is like Jimmy G.

Create a Super-team around him loaded with talent almost everywhere and you’re praying he does enough to get you over the top.

He’s qualified, great against bad competitors and pedestrian vs. the elite.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dak is like Jimmy G.

Create a Super-team around him loaded with talent almost everywhere and you’re praying he does enough to get you over the top.

:LT

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sources: Cowboys likely to use franchise tag on Dak Prescott as contract talks remain at impasse
Feb 2, 2020
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

With no long-term contract in sight, the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are heading straight toward a situation in which the team will have to use its franchise tag on the star quarterback, league sources told ESPN.

At this point, the franchise tag looks inevitable, according to sources, although neither side wants the tag to come into play. Dallas strongly prefers a long-term agreement, and it will continue to push to sign Prescott to an extension in the coming weeks. Prescott, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month, also wants a long-term deal.

But the sides disagree over the two-time Pro Bowler's value, leaving them at an impasse.

What would happen if and when Dallas uses the tag on Prescott is more uncertain. Players usually don't welcome franchise tags, and teams such as Pittsburgh (with Le'Veon Bell) and Washington (with Kirk Cousins) have learned this too well.

The other disconcerting issue for both sides, along with Cowboys fans, is that the talks have gone on for months without coming close to a resolution.

Prescott, in a recent interview with ESPN's Sage Steele, said he is confident that the sides will agree to a deal this offseason.

"There's a lot of things that have to come into play when you're talking about a contract," Prescott told Steele. "Never just look at the money, never just look at what people see or the attention-grabber. There's a lot of details to it. There's people that know that handle that, so I'm leaving that up to my agent and I have all the confidence in both sides."

Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said last month at the Senior Bowl that signing Prescott to a new deal was the franchise's No. 1 priority this offseason.

Although the Cowboys finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs this past season, Prescott had a career year, posting career highs in passing yards (4,902) and touchdown passes (30).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to use the tag to leverage a deal otherwise Dak could demand anything and get paid big in free agency but a deal will get done. This is posturing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dak is like Jimmy G.

He's a good amount better than Garropolo.

He's not, and probably never will be a top 5 QB, but I think he'll be pretty solidly in that 6-10 conversation for a while and I don't think Garropolo is anywhere near there.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Why is Dak better than Jimmy G? I think both are below the top tier and pretty close overall. Obviously Dak is more mobile, but Garoppolo doesn't misfire as often as Dak.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Why is Dak better than Jimmy G? I think both are below the top tier and pretty close overall. Obviously Dak is more mobile, but Garoppolo doesn't misfire as often as Dak.
Emmanuel Sanders begs to differ.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Objectively, Dak is more proven as far as being able to consistently produce year in and year out, and has shown more tangible improvement over time.

Subjectively, I think Garropolo is very limited in terms of not being able to make plays outside of structure consistently and he is very managed. He basically had as ideal a situation as you can get this season (innovative running scheme that was near the top of the league in rushing yards, creative play-caller, passing game that led the league in play-action, elite defense that often gave them short fields and controlled game flow so that he didn't have to press) and the guy only put up good but not really great numbers.

More importantly, he struggled mightily when forced to carry the team with his arm and the vast majority of his production came off schemed up/simple reads/easy throws. I saw a stat a few weeks ago that the Niners led the league in YAC but were almost at the very bottom in terms of depth of completion. Basically, he was being fed short, easy completions that facilitated YAC and inflated his stats.

Remember, Shannahan was the play-caller when Matt Ryan won the MVP and had by far the best season of his career, meanwhile Prescott has been saddled with Garrett for the entirety of his career.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
meanwhile Prescott has been saddled with Garrett for the entirety of his career.
This is why people need to wait on Dak. He has already proven he is a good QB. Pair him with a good coach and he very well could go from good to great.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This is why people need to wait on Dak. He has already proven he is a good QB. Pair him with a good coach and he very well could go from good to great.
Yea, I don't think he's ever going to be a prime Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees-level QB but I do think he can give us a solid 6-8 or so years of Russell Wilson-lite type of play as long as we have a cohesive offensive scheme/play-caller.

Replace Garropolo with him and I'm fairly sure the Niners are SB champions right now. Put him in Tennessee and I think they'd have very possibly beaten KC in the AFCC. Put him in Baltimore and I don't think you'd see much drop off between him and Jackson. Put him in Minnesota and I think the Vikings are a better team who probably wins the division.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Chiefs had plenty of time to get into FG position even if Sanders catches it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Replace Garropolo with him and I'm fairly sure the Niners are SB champions right now. Put him in Tennessee and I think they'd have very possibly beaten KC in the AFCC. Put him in Baltimore and I don't think you'd see much drop off between him and Jackson. Put him in Minnesota and I think the Vikings are a better team who probably wins the division.
And I'd say if you put Garoppolo here, we'd have had about the same record, too.

I guess you just think more of Dak than I do. I don't hate him or think he sucks, but I also don't think he gets any of those teams any farther than they went with the QBs they had. And I don't think he's anything like Jackson.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And I'd say if you put Garoppolo here, we'd have had about the same record, too.

I guess you just think more of Dak than I do. I don't hate him or think he sucks, but I also don't think he gets any of those teams any farther than they went with the QBs they had. And I don't think he's anything like Jackson.
Sure, with our defense being up and down throughout the year I think with Garropolo we'd have gone about 6-10, so basically it just comes down to how we view one against the other.

As far as Jackson goes, they aren't similar but what I'm saying is I don't think you'd have seen much, if any dropoff as far as overall team performance. I think they'd have still gone about 13-3 or whatever they were and they'd probably have had a better chance of beating the Titans with Dak.

Top Bottom