Dak Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I know there were quite a few throwing around that $20 million per year number but that number was never a realistic number, IMO. If you looked at QB salaries across the entire league, the only QBs making $20 million or less were journeymen, a couple of Andy Dalton types, and guys who were still on their rookie deals.

Dak signing for $20 million per year was a silly pipe dream.

My initial projections were something in the $27-$30 million range and even that's significantly off.
Yeah but my point in saying that is, have some fucking conviction. Why is your projection "significantly off"? Your were projecting that he'd be the highest paid player in the league, and you just happened to think that was $30 million?

Because I agree, $30 million would be fair. Not $40 million.

Your projection is "off" because Prescott is demanding the moon and Jerry is just gonna hand it to him.

Too many people are too eager to justify this contract because at the end of the day they want Dak here and are ok at whatever cost because, hey, that's the team's problem to figure out.

And then by the same token they sit here and bitch and complain when we have quiet free agency periods.

It's because we keep caving on these guys.

Dak does not deserve this deal. He does not deserve to be the highest paid QB or player in the league. He is simply not that good, and giving mega contracts to players who cannot possibly live up to them is how you ruin your team.

I hope McCarthy is a magic worker because otherwise I see where this is headed already.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Exactly. There are starting quarterbacks sitting around out of work, and some people think anyone will trade draft assets to then have to pay Prescott as the highest paid quarterback in the league? Sure thing...
:rolleyes
Well then why are we doing it?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah but my point in saying that is, have some fucking conviction. Why is your projection "significantly off"? Your were projecting that he'd be the highest paid player in the league, and you just happened to think that was $30 million?

Your projection is "off" because Prescott is demanding the moon and Jerry is just gonna hand it to him.

Too many people are too eager to justify this contract because at the end of the day they want Dak here and are ok at whatever cost because, hey, that's the team's problem to figure out.

And then by the same token they sit here and bitch and complain when we have quiet free agency periods.

Dak does not deserve this deal. He does not deserve to be the highest paid QB or player in the league. He is simply not that good, and giving mega contracts to players who cannot possibly live up to them is how you ruin your team.

I hope McCarthy is a magic worker because otherwise I see where this is headed already.
Did you miss that the hangup wasn't money, but length of the deal?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Well then why are we doing it?
  1. Because he is this team's only viable option at quarterback
  2. Because the Joneses have committed to him
  3. Because the Cowboys won't have to give up draft assets to do it
  4. Because the organization allowed the ship to obtain any potential upgrade to pass by

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

:lol

Calm down and breath.

I was merely stating that it was silly for anyone to think that Dak would settle for $20 million per year when the market trend showed that it was more likely that he'd get a deal closer to the $30 million mark.

I actually agree with you. I don't think he deserves to be the highest paid player in the sport, even if it is only for a year or two until the next QB deal is due. I've also pointed out how NFL owners have foolishly fallen into this idiotic pattern of over-paying QBs simply because their contracts "are next". Resume should trump timing when it comes to these deals. But owners have allowed themselves to be painted into a corner on this issue and short of a Kaepernick level of collusion, I don't know how they're going to break the cycle.

Although, if you look at MLB, the baseball owners have been flirting with that collusion line the past couple of years. Lots of All-Star caliber players weren't being signed until a week or so before spring training because teams were balking at signing the players to the high salaries that the players had grown accustomed to. And you can't tell me that it was a coincidence that 30 teams all decided at once to practice fiscal responsibility.

Maybe that's an option for NFL owners. Obviously it's illegal but I wouldn't put it past them.

GShock

DCC 4Life

We have spent the least of any NFL team on payroll over the past 4 years. We have and have had plenty of cap room to bring in players that could have helped this team. No player's contract is preventing us from doing so. It is a deliberate choice by the yacht club masquerading as football people.

Eh, deserve is irrelevant. He didn't deserve to be the 76th highest paid QB in 2016, but that's how the market works. If he was a free agent, he would be the highest paid QB in the league, and almost certainly make more than he will with us (see Jones, Byron).

Show some competence and get the damn thing done.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Calm down and breath.

I was merely stating that it was silly for anyone to think that Dak would settle for $20 million per year when the market trend showed that it was more likely that he'd get a deal closer to the $30 million mark.

I actually agree with you. I don't think he deserves to be the highest paid player in the sport, even if it is only for a year or two until the next QB deal is due. I've also pointed out how NFL owners have foolishly fallen into this idiotic pattern of over-paying QBs simply because their contracts "are next". Resume should trump timing when it comes to these deals. But owners have allowed themselves to be painted into a corner on this issue and short of a Kaepernick level of collusion, I don't know how they're going to break the cycle.

Although, if you look at MLB, the baseball owners have been flirting with that collusion line the past couple of years. Lots of All-Star caliber players weren't being signed until a week or so before spring training because teams were balking at signing the players to the high salaries that the players had grown accustomed to. And you can't tell me that it was a coincidence that 30 teams all decided at once to practice fiscal responsibility.

Maybe that's an option for NFL owners. Obviously it's illegal but I wouldn't put it past them.
Sadly the difference between 35 mil and 30 mil is essentially a Sean Lee type backup. Sort of makes me not give a shit if we throw in the extra little bit of money. Besides when Tanehill is getting 30 mil off of one good season after being a career failure it's sort of hard to argue a guy like Dak doesn't deserve more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have spent the least of any NFL team on payroll over the past 4 years. We have and have had plenty of cap room to bring in players that could have helped this team. No player's contract is preventing us from doing so. It is a deliberate choice by the yacht club masquerading as football people.

Eh, deserve is irrelevant. He didn't deserve to be the 76th highest paid QB in 2016, but that's how the market works. If he was a free agent, he would be the highest paid QB in the league, and almost certainly make more than he will with us (see Jones, Byron).

Show some competence and get the damn thing done.
This is pretty much how I feel. You have to pay market price for QBs. And while that may seem like too much or not fair, it's what the market dictates. If Dak was allowed to hit free agency that's the type of money he would get. So to stand here and say he deserves 30 mil a season sounds nice but there is no good basis for it. It's a pipe dream. So you either pay the guy what he would get in the open market or you trash the plan and start over. And then you'll be in the same position again down the road when you get or want to get another legit QB.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Sadly the difference between 35 mil and 30 mil is essentially a Sean Lee type backup. Sort of makes me not give a shit if we throw in the extra little bit of money. Besides when Tanehill is getting 30 mil off of one good season after being a career failure it's sort of hard to argue a guy like Dak doesn't deserve more.
Or half of a grossly overpaid Tyrone Crawford contract (still presently on the books). When the team is willingly wasting money there, how can someone complain if Dak makes $35 or slightly above?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or half of a grossly overpaid Tyrone Crawford contract (still presently on the books). When the team is willingly wasting money there, how can someone complain if Dak makes $35 or slightly above?
That's sort of where I'm at. This team isn't in cap trouble at all and is instead wasting tons of money on aging players who aren't any good. Yet we want to try and pinch pennies on Dak like it will make a difference. We are still going to hold on to the Crawfords of this world for 8 mil. And then people are going to bitch that we don't have an extra 5 mil because Dak didn't a lower amount. In the end the results will be the same for the Cowboys either way. The only person hurt is Jerry Jones who has to spend the extra 5 mil and maybe has to make a decision on a shitty old player like Crawford.

You have to love that Gerald McCoy is somehow making less than Crawford. Let that sink in for a minute.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
  1. Because he is this team's only viable option at quarterback
  2. Because the Joneses have committed to him
  3. Because the Cowboys won't have to give up draft assets to do it
  4. Because the organization allowed the ship to obtain any potential upgrade to pass by
Those are all dumb reasons - though they could very well be the reasons the team is doing this.

The Cowboys are never gonna become the Bengals or Cardinals. The brand is too popular and the pockets too deep.

Why everyone has this serial fear of tanking is beyond me.

This contract is bad for us. Better to lose Dak for nothing and rebuild again. It would be quick because all you really need is a good QB, there are pieces in place here.

But Jerry doesn't want to hit the pause button for 2 years cause he could die any time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Better to lose Dak for nothing and rebuild again. It would be quick because all you really need is a good QB
You do remember the purgatory we went through between Aikman and Romo, right? Finding a good QB is not nearly as easy as you are implying here. Teams swing and miss every year. Often with high draft picks and/or high dollars.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I forgot to respond to this point specifically.

QBs like Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, and Goff already had contracts that were well north of $30 million....so no, I didn't "just happen to think" that giving Dak a $30 million dollar contract would make him the highest paid QB in the league.

:picard

$30 million was a number that I thought would be fair based on his resume and comparable QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those are all dumb reasons - though they could very well be the reasons the team is doing this.

The Cowboys are never gonna become the Bengals or Cardinals. The brand is too popular and the pockets too deep.

Why everyone has this serial fear of tanking is beyond me.

This contract is bad for us. Better to lose Dak for nothing and rebuild again. It would be quick because all you really need is a good QB, there are pieces in place here.

But Jerry doesn't want to hit the pause button for 2 years cause he could die any time.
That's not necessarily true two years from now. 2 years from now who knows if Zeke will even be a viable RB. Tyron Smith may be donzo. 2 years is an eternity in the NFL and with all the turnover in 2 years the rest of this roster would look entirely different.

And all of this over the cost of a veteran backup in free agency. Seems like an extreme reaction to a small problem. My inclination is that this has more to do with the fact that you've never been a big fan of Dak and made up your mind on him a long time ago.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sounds like people are catching on that saving 3 million a year on Dak isn't going to change shit because ultimately it'll just result in another Olawale or two.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do remember the purgatory we went through between Aikman and Romo, right? Finding a good QB is not nearly as easy as you are implying here. Teams swing and miss every year. Often with high draft picks and/or high dollars.
I remember when the Redskins had a good brand. Now they can't even get fans to show up to games because they are utter shit. Being the Cowboys doesn't mean we can't fall into a similar hole. Sure Jerry will probably still make his money and fans will still show up but that won't change the wins and losses.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also think smitty is assuming this news means Dak is going to get around 38/year, in all likelihood I think it's more around 35-36 and this "highest paid player in the league" is based on guaranteed money or that Wilson's extension, which averaged 35/year, was tacked on to his existing deal which suppressed the AAV.

Top Bottom