Dak Watch Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No but considering that we had about $30 million in space, including about $15 million remaining, and have mostly prioritized handing out contracts to shitbirds (Olawale, Rush, Justin March, Canady, Darian Thompson) totaling about $7 million, not to mention giving Sean Lee $4.5 for some reason, and holding Crawford's ridiculous cap number, I'm not exactly enthused about how they'd re-invest the savings.

Add up those 5 shitbirds who are unlikely to provide anything more than a run of the mill 6th/7th/UDFA rookie would, along with Lee, plus Crawford's cap hit and you have a cool $20 million against the 2020 cap.

$20 fucking million going to 5 shitbirds, a 34 year old LB who is decent depth, and a 31 year old utility DL who is coming off missing a full season because of a serious hip injury (those always heal quick).

When I say "landing Olawales" it doesn't literally mean only signing Olawale-caliber players, it's a euphemism for the front office being scared little bitches to do anything bold in free agency while mostly putzing around otherwise.
Yep. The shitbird thing to do is sign five shitbirds instead of going after one or two non-shitbirds.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Prescott going to emerge as NFL's highest paid player, fucking seriously?

We were all on here a year ago saying we'd be ok giving him $20 million a year if we can get him for a bit under market.

I'd fucking trade his ass.
Yeah, I'm a little disgusted that he would emerge from this making more than guys who have won fucking Super Bowls.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Prescott going to emerge as NFL's highest paid player, fucking seriously?

We were all on here a year ago saying we'd be ok giving him $20 million a year if we can get him for a bit under market.

I'd fucking trade his ass.
Good lord, calm down. He won't even be in the top 5 by the time he is halfway through his contract.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Good lord, calm down. He won't even be in the top 5 by the time he is halfway through his contract.
And? Neither will Patrick Mahomes when Mahomes' contract bests Prescott's in a few months. By the end of deals they always look better but that's not the issue. You pay out the nose for an elite player on a long term deal and that deal looks "more manageable" by the end cause the cap has increased.

The point is, Prescott should not be paid like a top 5 QB to start with. His contract should come in at more like Ryan or Cousins now anyway... at most, Wentz or Goff. He should not be exceeding Russell Wilson, Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers. Starting out with "highest paid player in the NFL", even though he'll surely be surpassed in the next few months or years, does not make it a good value for the Dallas Cowboys, because he's not in that tier as a player or QB.

You grin and bear that price tag when it's Russell Wilson cause he's an MVP candidate, knowing that in a few years his contract will be more palatable and this is the cost of entry to have him.

Dak Prescott isn't now and never will live up to that contract. He's simply not worth this much. Paying him this much is gonna hurt us for a long time.

But we never win contract negotiations so this isn't anything new. We paid Lawrence through the nose more than he deserved cause he called our bluff and we blinked.... then Elliott.... then Prescott.

Then everyone complains that we lose players and aren't active in free agency.

Here's a thought. Take a hard line in the sand with some of these assholes! They all want to be paid like the top players at their position and not a single one of them are (well, other than Elliott, but, he's a RB and they are devalued currently as well).

I would never give Prescott the kind of money he's asking for. Either someone would give a huge overpayment package for him that could go a long way towards replacing him, or, if no one offers a big package for him, then that should make you question why you are paying him so much since no one else wants him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And? Neither will Patrick Mahomes when Mahomes' contract bests Prescott's in a few months. By the end of deals they always look better but that's not the issue. You pay out the nose for an elite player on a long term deal and that deal looks "more manageable" by the end cause the cap has increased.

The point is, Prescott should not be paid like a top 5 QB to start with. His contract should come in at more like Ryan or Cousins now anyway... at most, Wentz or Goff. He should not be exceeding Russell Wilson, Roethlisberger or Aaron Rodgers. Starting out with "highest paid player in the NFL", even though he'll surely be surpassed in the next few months or years, does not make it a good value for the Dallas Cowboys, because he's not in that tier as a player or QB.

You grin and bear that price tag when it's Russell Wilson cause he's an MVP candidate, knowing that in a few years his contract will be more palatable and this is the cost of entry to have him.

Dak Prescott isn't now and never will live up to that contract. He's simply not worth this much. Paying him this much is gonna hurt us for a long time.

But we never win contract negotiations so this isn't anything new. We paid Lawrence through the nose more than he deserved cause he called our bluff and we blinked.... then Elliott.... then Prescott.

Here's a thought. Take a hard line in the sand with some of these assholes! They all want to be paid like the top players at their position and not a single one of them are (well, other than Elliott, but, he's a RB and they are devalued currently as well).

I would never give Prescott the kind of money he's asking for. Either someone would give a huge overpayment package for him that could go a long way towards replacing him, or, if no one offers a big package for him, then that should make you question why you are paying him so much since no one else wants him.
All those words, and my response is simply, I disagree with you.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't even care. I just don't get why people make it so personal.

Yes. It is mildly irritating. But beyond that, move on with your QB.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't even care. I just don't get why people make it so personal.

Yes. It is mildly irritating. But beyond that, move on with your QB.
He's your QB. The last good starting QB who a team haggled over the price and let him go was Cousins. It just doesn't happen and salary cap hell doesn't really exist. So suck it up, pay the man and move on. Or risk becoming the Redskins.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Ed Werder reacts to Dak Prescott and the Cowboys continuing to negotiate the contract

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's your QB. The last good starting QB who a team haggled over the price and let him go was Cousins. It just doesn't happen and salary cap hell doesn't really exist. So suck it up, pay the man and move on. Or risk becoming the Redskins.
We're not really at any risk of becoming the Redskins, as bad as we are.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
A first round pick and a huge contract already there. Surely you didnt expect much?
It’s paper thin especially given the resources spent.

The DL and coaching changes will help, but you have to expect LVE and Lee are going to either miss games or be shells of their former selves.

Jaylon could really benefit from the coaching (no being schemed to cover WRs), but he still was out of position a bit too much for my tastes and a lot of that is on him.

Where’s the stable veteran influence who knows the new defense?

Good Lawd, you act like he is a little bitch you slap around on the playground and can’t play a lick of football... geez.. I agree I don’t think he. Should be the highest Paid but I think he is a clutch QB and won games by himself many times. He is far from horrible. Now we get to see how he does with a new coaching staff and how he progresses.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It’s paper thin especially given the resources spent.

The DL and coaching changes will help, but you have to expect LVE and Lee are going to either miss games or be shells of their former selves.

Jaylon could really benefit from the coaching (no being schemed to cover WRs), but he still was out of position a bit too much for my tastes and a lot of that is on him.

Where’s the stable veteran influence who knows the new defense?
What front office do you think runs this team? I've been advocating LBer for awhile, too. However the Jones boys will do what they always do with big contracts and 1st round picks. Let nothing stand in thier way.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
We got Dak on the cheap for 4 years. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of not having $30+ million being paid to our starting QB. Dak deserves whatever he gets at this point. Should've signed him before last season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We got Dak on the cheap for 4 years. Too bad we couldn't take advantage of not having $30+ million being paid to our starting QB. Dak deserves whatever he gets at this point. Should've signed him before last season.
Zeke/Cheap Dak/Brilliant OL— window closed. Bad coaching, average defense, and too young a QB to take advantage.

Expensive Dak/Waning Zeke/Unknown OL — doesn’t sound promising. We need players like Pollard, Gallup, and McGovern to transform the offense.

McCarthy will have an opportunity to create something completely new, I think, because we only superficially resemble the 2016 beast of an OL with Zeke at his best.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I know there were quite a few throwing around that $20 million per year number but that number was never a realistic number, IMO. If you looked at QB salaries across the entire league, the only QBs making $20 million or less were journeymen, a couple of Andy Dalton types, and guys who were still on their rookie deals.

Dak signing for $20 million per year was a silly pipe dream.

My initial projections were something in the $27-$30 million range and even that's significantly off.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Trade him where? We have players like Cam Newton who is looking for a new job.
Exactly. There are starting quarterbacks sitting around out of work, and some people think anyone will trade draft assets to then have to pay Prescott as the highest paid quarterback in the league? Sure thing...
:rolleyes

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Zeke/Cheap Dak/Brilliant OL— window closed. Bad coaching, average defense, and too young a QB to take advantage.

Expensive Dak/Waning Zeke/Unknown OL — doesn’t sound promising. We need players like Pollard, Gallup, and McGovern to transform the offense.

McCarthy will have an opportunity to create something completely new, I think, because we only superficially resemble the 2016 beast of an OL with Zeke at his best.
That bold part of your last sentence is the key to all of these. If Garrett were here I'd have absolutely no faith in this team being able to make a deep run in the playoffs. But with McCarthy and this rebuilt staff I'm confident that they'll be able to figure some things out to compensate for some of the teams weaker areas.

The better coaches in the game do this all the time. Garrett, not so much.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
That's how I feel about it. And if a couple of years, he won't be the highest paid guy any more than Matt Ryan was.

The only rub is that Ryan has a SB appearance.
Prescott's turn to get paid came at an opportune time. That's all there is to it. He and his agent waited (while the Cowboys tried to lowball them) and it paid off for them.

After Dak is signed, Watson's deal and then Mahomes deal will make it look like a bargain by comparison, especially as the salary cap continues to skyrocket.

Top Bottom