Dak Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, and if we had offered him 20 and told him to take it or leave it, he obviously leaves it and signs elsewhere.
I'm not advocating $20m.

And the entire league, including our own players and future possible free agents see that and think "WTF are they doing?!? This team obviously cares more about saving money over winning."

And we begin our slide down into the dregs with the Skins.
I do not agree with that at all.

We remain a premier organization and offering Dak less than what he's asking for will not change that. I do not think it is a minority opinion that Dak maybe is not worth the money he's about to get. I think players would understand that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Agreed.

That is exactly what they should do. Hell, I would not be opposed to drafting a promising prospect in round 2 in any of the upcoming drafts.
I'd make him play under the tag and draft a QB this year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm not advocating $20m.

I do not agree with that at all.

We remain a premier organization and offering Dak less than what he's asking for will not change that.
The Skins were once a premier organization, as well. And nobody is saying that lowballing the most important position in football would change it over night. But don't kid yourself... Players and agents would certainly notice that. And it would start a slow slide that would build over time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Then why bring that number up at all?
To call attention to shifting opinion and to make the argument that while he had a great year this year, let's not start acting like he's one of the top QBs in football. It was just last year or so that people were advocating for an extension AS LONG AS it was under market value, pretty substantially.

Obviously he has raised his stock and is justified in asking for a contract more in line with market value -- but that should not be Wilson/Rodgers tier from the start of the deal.

The Skins were once a premier organization, as well. And nobody is saying that lowballing the most important position in football would change it over night. But don't kid yourself... Players and agents would certainly notice that. And it would start a slow slide that would build over time.
There's a difference between taking note of the treatment of one player versus starting a slide. Yes everyone would be watching the Dak scenario play out but I also think they'd be more or less understanding of it. Those that didn't understand might have a negative opinion, but that opinion can be counteracted by such things like how we treat other players.... like the way we fucking go to the mattresses for Elliott or how we've stood by Randy Gregory through thick and thin. They notice those things too.

I don't think taking a hardline stance with a QB that most realize doesn't deserve top money, would signal the start of any slide into low franchise status.

To the extent we are sliding it's because of a lot of other things first. Certainly you'd argue that employing Garrett for a decade (as a negative) -- and the subsequent switch to a respected coach like McCarthy (as a positive) -- carries a TON more weight in overall league perception of us as a free agent destination.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the NFL, if a team hands out three max contracts they will still not have more talent than a lot of other teams, it's of no benefit to them. Therefore I'm willing to see how it would play out in the NFL... I don't think you'd see the same phenomenon as the NBA.
I think the only position you'd see that type of thing really impact is QB. Unless you set a max contract at different amounts at every position. Otherwise what you're really talking about is QBs being able to jump ship because they will get the same money either way.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yup.

Word gets around fast and the Texans are starting to develop a reputation for being an organization you don't want to join.

There were reports a week or so ago that a marquee defensive FA that the Texans were targeting told the team "no thanks" because of what guys who had played for O'Brien had told them.

If the perception from players becomes that the Cowboys don't value and take care of their own, it will have an effect on the club.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yup.

Word gets around fast and the Texans are starting to develop a reputation for being an organization you don't want to join.

There were reports a week or so ago that a marquee defensive FA that the Texans were targeting told the team "no thanks" because of what guys who had played for O'Brien had told them.

If the perception from players becomes that the Cowboys don't value and take care of their own, it will have an effect on the club.
To be fair the Cowboys basically do nothing except value and take care of their own. They literally ignore free agency for the most part just so they can do that very thing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sounds like people are catching on that saving 3 million a year on Dak isn't going to change shit because ultimately it'll just result in another Olawale or two.
So you’re saying the middle class is evaporating

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
To be fair the Cowboys basically do nothing except value and take care of their own. They literally ignore free agency for the most part just so they can do that very thing.
That is shockingly accurate. And I think a lot of that has to do with their pro personnel scouting being utter shit (shockingly, another Garrett - Judd - was involved). The combination of making few moves. coupled with the ones they did make being awful misses - like Nolan Carroll and Cedric Thornton to name a few - have made them gun shy about doing much of anything.

I hope that McCarthy was accurate when he said that he planned to add a large analytics team wherever he went. This organization can definitely use the help there. We went from state-of-the-art in innovation back in our early years, to well behind the curve nowadays.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I guess my perspective is that somehow Dak has gotten elevated to a top of the line QB in the NFL but for the life of me I don’t know how or what has been accomplished under his tenure to elevate him to that position. He has some stats but the absence of team accomplishment under his tenure isn’t really impressive. Dak supporters pitch his the lack of overall success is due to the coaching staff and maybe so but still where is the team leadership that he has exerted to overcome that. To me the simple truth as to his actual stature in the NFL Is yet to be determined and that is apparently why he hasn’t been a slam dunk to demand top consideration in the league.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I guess my perspective is that somehow Dak has gotten elevated to a top of the line QB in the NFL but for the life of me I don’t know how or what has been accomplished under his tenure to elevate him to that position. He has some stats but the absence of team accomplishment under his tenure isn’t really impressive. Dak supporters pitch his the lack of overall success is due to the coaching staff and maybe so but still where is the team leadership that he has exerted to overcome that. To me the simple truth as to his actual stature in the NFL Is yet to be determined and that is apparently why he hasn’t been a slam dunk to demand top consideration in the league.
Romo didnt overcome the coaching staff either.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I guess my perspective is that somehow Dak has gotten elevated to a top of the line QB in the NFL but for the life of me I don’t know how or what has been accomplished under his tenure to elevate him to that position. He has some stats but the absence of team accomplishment under his tenure isn’t really impressive.
But Romo...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo didnt overcome the coaching staff either.
If you think you have to add Romo then I guess you will have to put Dak at the same regard you are willing to give Romo.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If you think you have to add Romo then I guess you will have to put Dak at the same regard you are willing to give Romo.
What regard? I've always liked Romo. I like Dak. Does Dak have issues? Sure. He has also improved so much that this went from a run oriented team to a pass oriented team. I don't care about the money because that's the way the position gets paid. Hes only the highest until Mahomes gets his and the following and the following etc... Besides he wants a 4 year contract. Give it to him because at this point its stupid to suggest trading or cutting him. They still have plenty of money to not do anything in FA.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What regard? I've always liked Romo. I like Dak. Does Dak have issues? Sure. He has also improved so much that this went from a run oriented team to a pass oriented team. I don't care about the money because that's the way the position gets paid. Hes only the highest until Mahomes gets his and the following and the following etc... Besides he wants a 4 year contract. Give it to him because at this point its stupid to suggest trading or cutting him. They still have plenty of money to not do anything in FA.
I’m not suggesting he be cut or traded rather I posed a question of why he should be paid the highest QB or tier 1 money. I can’t seem to find an answer that says he should. That the extent my inquiry goes.

Top Bottom