Dak: Tony left some big shoes to fill

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Are you saying you fully expected him to come in as a rookie and accomplish what he did or we you surprised that he in fact accomplished what he did? Most will say he was a surprise to the league last season. The author of the article simply pointed out he is no longer an unknown and opponents will prepare more for him. His words follow.

""Great. End of story, right? Well, that's where we turn to Prescott and his future.

Fresh off that memorable rookie season, Prescott now faces the reality that teams will have a full season on film on the quarterback. He won't get a kid-gloves introduction to the NFL in year two -- not with the expectations now on his shoulders after a 13-3 season.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan did a fantastic job of acclimating Prescott to the pro game (he had a lot of help thanks to a great line and fantastic rookie season from Ezekiel Elliott), but the stakes are higher in 2017, because of the 2016 result (a loss in the divisional playoffs), the expectations and yes, even the departure of Romo."

This is the jist of all my comments and I happen to agree with this assessment. This however is not a judgement about Dak or a prediction of what kind so season he will have. It is merely a statement of what teams will probably do with more film and time to device scenes. Who knows whether they will succeed or Dak will prevail. It hasn't happened yet.
I think everyone across the board is in 100% agreement that Dak's performance was a surprise. No one expected that kind of performance from a 4th round rookie QB

Maybe I misread your use of the word surprise. I thought you were saying he surprised defensive coordinators across the league and that they're better prepared to shut him down this season. If that's what you're saying then I'd have to disagree with that opinion. As I and others have pointed out, coordinators already had a significant amount of film on him, particularly in the second half of the season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I already put it in bold print. The basis of your argument is that Dak will regress because team's now have plenty of film on him.

I pointed out that teams like Tampa & Detroit had 13 games of tape on Dak and they couldn't stop him. Green Bay had 16 games and they didn't shut him down either.
What I see in bold paint is he surprised everyone. Where did I say he will regress?

He did surprise everyone lsst season. Commentatators remarked about it all the time.

booze said he will regress.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I'll give my two cents on the actual topic. I think Dak will probably throw more picks next year. It's just so difficult in the NFL to have such low INT numbers. On the flip side of it though I think his TDs and yards will probably go up. I think the odds are we may pass the ball a little more next season as Dak's comfort level in this offense and with Dez Bryant increases. Which is also why I think the TD numbers will go up. Also because he only threw like 1 TD in his first 3 games as a starter. I seriously doubt he has that type of a drought again next year which means I think his TDs will definitely go up as well.

In the end I'd expect another 100+ QB rating and a high completion percentage. It really helps that his surrounding cast is basically identical to last year.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Are you going senile?

You clearly addressed this upcoming season and then continued to deny it even after being provided multiple examples of you doing so.

Also, the comments that you made suggest that you do not expect him to perform as well as he did last season. You're getting upset and claiming people are putting words in your mouth, but there is no other way to interpret what you said given the way that you expressed yourself.

But this is not the first time this happens with you. You say something in a certain way and then get all offended that people interpret your words to mean something that you claim you didn't mean, but you don't really give them much of a choice.

Hence, my post about the pork chop.

I think you either need to find a different way to express yourself or choose your words more carefully.
I will offfer you the same chalienge I have offered everyone else. Point out to me where I stated Dak would regress.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I already put it in bold print. The basis of your argument is that Dak will regress because team's now have plenty of film on him.

I pointed out that teams like Tampa & Detroit had 13 games of tape on Dak and they couldn't stop him. Green Bay had 16 games and they didn't shut him down either.
And that is the exact same argument he kept making last season -- how teams would throw more at him as the season went on and how he would likely struggle.

But that never really happened. In fact, he had arguably his most impressive performance of the entire season in the most pressure-packed game he played in - the Packers playoff match.

So I would like to know how a guy who now has a full NFL season under his belt is now at more of a risk to succumb to defensive schemes and pressure. It also goes against all logic that they are now going to stop treating him with "kid gloves" as a 2nd year player which would suggest that they took it easy on him as a rookie.

lol wut

It's when a quarterback is a rookie that defenses​ throw the most at him because it's all foreign to him. So to imply that defenses relax because they don't expect much from a rookie is absolute nonsense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And that is the exact same argument he kept making last season -- how teams would throw more at him as the season went on and how he would likely struggle.

But that never really happened. In fact, he had arguably his most impressive performance of the entire season in the most pressure-packed game he played in - the Packers playoff match.

So I would like to know how a guy who now has a full NFL season under his belt is now at more of a risk to succumb to defensive schemes and pressure. It also goes against all logic that they are now going to stop treating him with "kid gloves" as a 2nd year player which would suggest that they took it easy on him as a rookie.

lol wut

It's when a quarterback is a rookie that defenses​ throw the most at him because it's all foreign to him. So to imply that defenses relax because they don't expect much from a rookie is absolute nonsense.
I did not say Dak will regress. Find it and show me. Just show me or change your tune. I have stated on occasions the Dak will face more opponent pressure but that's it and I am sure he will. Do you really think that is a put down.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I will offfer you the same chalienge I have offered everyone else. Point out to me where I stated Dak would regress.
For what?

So you can stubbornly deny it anyway like you've been doing over the last two pages?

You're never going to admit that you said it even though that's what you implied.

By your logic, you could say "I don't think it's gonna stay dry today", and then turn around and say you never said it was going to rain.

I'm not gonna waste my time going in circles with you on this. Everyone in this thread can clearly see what you said except you.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And another reason is that it isn't there. For two pages I have asked someone to point out where I have said Dak would regress and you know what no one has yet to point it out.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
While talking about how opponents will be better equipped to deal with Dak, on the other side of the coin you also have to acknowledge that Dak is better equipped to handle what defenses will try to throw it him.

While DC's may have more tape on Dak, he'll have more experience and a better understanding of what teams are trying to do to him as well.

Things will balance out.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Here is the post that said Dak will regress and you know who said it?

He had a pretty remarkable season. I actually think it is more likely he regresses. That is why losing to the Packers hurt so bad. They were riding a wave, Prescott included.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Lemme guess. These are all taken out of context, too. Right?

I sincerely hope Prescott has a banner year again but my gut tells me that he will get things thrown at him this season that he hasn't seen before. His level of experience is still limited so I think it will surface more often. Hopefully the coaching staff will alleviate some of the pressure with a ground game strategy that takes advantage of an opponents aggression.
No I am not. I am simply saying that he will have a lot more pressure put on him this year than what he experienced last season. I think it will affect him and his game his sophomore year more so than his rookie year.
I put the loss at the coaches feet because they were too reluctant to turn him loose because he was a rookie. That is a different set of circumstances than the regular season games and nothing to do wih what I am predicting for him this season. I think opponents will be more prepared for him this season and I believe it will have an effect on his game. It's an observation and prediction not a put down of Prescott.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
While talking about how opponents will be better equipped to deal with Dak, on the other side of the coin you also have to acknowledge that Dak is better equipped to handle what defenses will try to throw it him.

While DC's may have more tape on Dak, he'll have more experience and a better understanding of what teams are trying to do to him as well.

Things will balance out.
They quite possibly will but I didn't comment one way or another about whether he would or wouldn't handle it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not say Dak will regress. Find it and show me. Just show me or change your tune. I have stated on occasions the Dak will face more opponent pressure but that's it and I am sure he will. Do you really think that is a put down.
So is your opinion than that Dak won't regress?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Where is [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION] when you need him?

:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lemme guess. These are all taken out of context, too. Right?
I do believe it will have an effect on his game because he will have to react to it but he may well do that. I never said it will cause him to get worse. It will cause him to figure out ways to overcome it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have no opinion on whether he will or won't. I have an opinion that he will face more pressure this season.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So is your opinion than that Dak won't regress?
"I hope he has another banner year BUT....."

Those were his exact words. But he's not implying in any way, shape or form, that Dak isn't going to at least match his performance from last year.

It's just the way people expressed​ themselves in the old days, ya know?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
"I hope he has another banner year BUT....."

Those were his exact words. But he's not implying in any way, shape or form, that Dak isn't going to at least match his performance from last year.

It's just the way people expressed​ themselves in the old days, ya know?
Read on what comes after but.

Top Bottom