Dak: Tony left some big shoes to fill

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sorry but this exact phrase is specifically saying you don't think he will have a banner year again. If you've changed that stance now I wouldn't blame you. If you think Dak will be worse next year, that's fine too. I was just talking about that fact with you and trying to understand why you thought that.
You need glasses or you are not reading correctly. I does not say what you are saying. There is nothing remotely close to me saying I don't think he will have a banner year again. Are you just trying to be cute?i said I hope he has a banner year again. Then I say he will have some things thrown at him this year. Really man that's just going over the edge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need glasses or you are not reading correctly. I does not say what you are saying. There is nothing remotely close to me saying I don't think he will have a banner year again. Are you just trying to be cute?i said I hope he has a banner year again. Then I say he will have some things thrown at him this year. Really man that's just going over the edge.
So why would you follow "I hope he has a banner year" with the word BUT? Your opinion with that statement couldn't be clearer.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Could we add this to the .gif library?

I think naming it :LT would be appropriate.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So why would you follow "I hope he has a banner year" with the word BUT? Your opinion with that statement couldn't be clearer.
It's pretty simple. I hope he has another banner year but he will probably have to deal with some things he hasn't faced before. Still I hope he has back to back seasons. What you are just rolling past is the initial comment I and the author of the article made. Opponents will be better prepared to deal with him this season and he may have a more difficult time this season to make things happen for another banner season to occur.

Now having said that, there is nothing in any of this thought process that says he will have a worse year. I can't even imagine why you seem to think it does.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Could we add this to the .gif library?

I think naming it :LT would be appropriate.
:Imdone

Text is Imdone. No apostrophe.

data

Forbes #1
Who would've liked an open QB competition - Dak vs Romo?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I love me a good pork chop but there's nothing quite like a Ribeye steak.

Oh, but that in no way means I like the pork chop less. If that's what you took from my initial statement then something is wrong with your reading comprehension.

Kthxbai

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think numbers like Dak's TD:INT ratio will be worse but I don't see him taking a significant step backwards.

Barring a string of significant injuries, he'll have the same supporting cast surrounding him. So it's not like we have to worry about how he'll perform with a new OL, group of receivers, etc.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Roethlisberger and Wilson both kind of leveled off statistically after their rookie year before blowing up in their 4th seasons.

Prescott will be hard-pressed to reproduce his statistical 2016, although that shouldn't be a surprise considering the fickle nature of the NFL and the fact that his rookie year was arguably as good as any season Romo had in his entire career.

All that really matters is that I've seen enough to commit to the guy for the next 10 years, and the rest of this is just window dressing for the sake of argument.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Mad props to the organization for creating an offense that wasn't just Romo-friendly, but QB friendly.

Dak could not have asked for a better situation, and he does not seem to be taking the god-send lightly.

His determination to be prepared and excel, combined with the wall in front of him, is going to lead to great things.

This is truly a plug and play transition that never could have happened without some foresight and mad luck on the ownership's part...but I'll take it.

townsend

Banned
Roethlisberger and Wilson both kind of leveled off statistically after their rookie year before blowing up in their 4th seasons.

Prescott will be hard-pressed to reproduce his statistical 2016, although that shouldn't be a surprise considering the fickle nature of the NFL and the fact that his rookie year was arguably as good as any season Romo had in his entire career.

All that really matters is that I've seen enough to commit to the guy for the next 10 years, and the rest of this is just window dressing for the sake of argument.
Roethlisberger and Wilson plateaud statistically, but Wilson won his first playoff game in 2012 and Ben won his first Super Bowl in 2005. I agree that we shouldn't expect a huge improvement in the stat line, but I think Dak will have a better ability to lead this team after an offseason. I think the more familiarity Dak has with the system, the better he can hold his offense accountable. Considering our playoff loss happened because the offense came out rusty and let Green Bay take a big lead early, having some strong leadership could make a big difference.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think numbers like Dak's TD:INT ratio will be a worse but I don't see him taking a significant step backwards.

Barring a string of significant injuries, he'll have the same supporting cast surrounding him. So it's not like we have to worry about how he'll perform with a new OL, group of receivers, etc.
You can't say that. The Dak police will be all over you. I find it interesting that others have said the same thing but not one peep from the Dak police.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You can't say that. The Dak police will be all over you. I find it interesting that others have said the same thing but not one peep from the Dak police.
Man, you are kind of paranoid and a little butt hurt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yes somewhat. It's irritating when someone insists you said something that you didn't. In fact your comment was clear about Dak and his likely regression yet no comment about that at all. So yes I am irritated but I will get over it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes somewhat. It's irritating when someone insists you said something that you didn't. In fact your comment was clear about Dak and his likely regression yet no comment about that at all. So yes I am irritated but I will get over it.
Are you going senile?

You clearly addressed this upcoming season and then continued to deny it even after being provided multiple examples of you doing so.

Also, the comments that you made suggest that you do not expect him to perform as well as he did last season. You're getting upset and claiming people are putting words in your mouth, but there is no other way to interpret what you said given the way that you expressed yourself.

But this is not the first time this happens with you. You say something in a certain way and then get all offended that people interpret your words to mean something that you claim you didn't mean, but you don't really give them much of a choice.

Hence, my post about the pork chop.

I think you either need to find a different way to express yourself or choose your words more carefully.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What is there to question? I believe that opponents will be better prepared to deal with Dak this season than they were last season. He surprised everyone last season but that won't happen this season. You are a little ridiculous with your feelings that you think I am somehow insulting Prescott. You don't need to defend him because I haven't said anything negative about him. I have just stated what I think is very obvious. He will not be an unknown this season nor will he be a surprise to anyone. You are acting like a lioness with a cub.
I noticed this has been a central theme of yours when assessing Dak's 2016 season. After the first 5 games I don't think he "surprised" anyone. I'd argue that the defensive personnel that he faces will have a bigger impact on how he'll perform than the 17 games of tape that defensive coordinators now have on him.

Last year in games where he struggled the most (Giants & Vikings), those teams fielded defenses with upper-level secondary talent mixed with strong pass rushes. On the flip side.....teams like Detroit and Tampa, both of whom desperately needed wins at the time, had 13 games of tape on Dak when they faced him, but neither could do anything to slow him down. Why? Because they lacked talented personnel.

Next year we'll play 5 games against teams who I think could give Dak and our offense problems: 2x NY Giants, Seahawks, Broncos, and Chiefs.

But you also have to acknowledge that those teams give most QBs/offenses problems. So even if Dak struggled in 2 or 3 of those games I wouldn't consider it an "I told you so" moment.

Personally, Dak is one of the least of my concerns heading into the 2017 season. I'm more concerned about the lack of talent throughout every level of the defense.

townsend

Banned
I noticed this has been a central theme of yours when assessing Dak's 2016 season. After the first 5 games I don't think he "surprised" anyone. I'd argue that the defensive personnel that he faces will have a bigger impact on how he'll perform than the 17 games of tape that defensive coordinators now have on him.

Last year in games where he struggled the most (Giants & Vikings), those teams fielded defenses with upper-level secondary talent mixed with strong pass rushes. On the flip side.....teams like Detroit and Tampa, both of whom desperately needed wins at the time, had 13 games of tape on Dak when they faced him, but neither could do anything to slow him down. Why? Because they lacked talented personnel.

Next year we'll play 5 games against teams who I think could give Dak and our offense problems: 2x NY Giants, Seahawks, Broncos, and Chiefs.

But you also have to acknowledge that those teams give most QBs/offenses problems. So even if Dak struggled in 2 or 3 of those games I wouldn't consider it an "I told you so" moment.

Personally, Dak is one of the least of my concerns heading into the 2017 season. I'm more concerned about the lack of talent throughout every level of the defense.
He didnt play poorly against the Vikings, it was just a lot like the first half of the Packers game where penalties kept taking our momentum.

Dak also did really well against a talented Baltimore defense. The thing that scares me most (like most offseasons) is our decimated defense forcing him into shootouts. I think a Dak Prescott that's forced into similar situations as Romo was in 2011-2013 will give us similar results.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Are you saying you fully expected him to come in as a rookie and accomplish what he did or we you surprised that he in fact accomplished what he did? Most will say he was a surprise to the league last season. The author of the article simply pointed out he is no longer an unknown and opponents will prepare more for him. His words follow.

""Great. End of story, right? Well, that's where we turn to Prescott and his future.

Fresh off that memorable rookie season, Prescott now faces the reality that teams will have a full season on film on the quarterback. He won't get a kid-gloves introduction to the NFL in year two -- not with the expectations now on his shoulders after a 13-3 season.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan did a fantastic job of acclimating Prescott to the pro game (he had a lot of help thanks to a great line and fantastic rookie season from Ezekiel Elliott), but the stakes are higher in 2017, because of the 2016 result (a loss in the divisional playoffs), the expectations and yes, even the departure of Romo."

This is the jist of all my comments and I happen to agree with this assessment. This however is not a judgement about Dak or a prediction of what kind so season he will have. It is merely a statement of what teams will probably do with more film and time to device scenes. Who knows whether they will succeed or Dak will prevail. It hasn't happened yet.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Enlighten me on what my central theme was about Dak last season. Most of what I addressed last season was about the lack of experience.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Enlighten me on what my central theme was about Dak last season. Most of what I addressed last season was about the lack of experience.
I already put it in bold print. The basis of your argument is that Dak will regress because team's now have plenty of film on him.

I pointed out that teams like Tampa & Detroit had 13 games of tape on Dak and they couldn't stop him. Green Bay had 16 games and they didn't shut him down either.

Top Bottom