Cowboys Trade for QB Trey Lance

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
One of the problems is, in two years he's a free agent unless you pick up his option for like 25 million. They'll be in a rough spot to try to get value out of their investments in him.
Yeah, just one of those things you'll have to figure out when the time comes. Too many variables to consider his contract 2 years from now. But I agree, we won't want to pay the fifth year price, and Lance by then is probably going to want a real chance at a starting job.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, just one of those things you'll have to figure out when the time comes. Too many variables to consider his contract 2 years from now. But I agree, we won't want to pay the fifth year price, and Lance by then is probably going to want a real chance at a starting job.
There are a number of ways this could turn out and one of them is that he is on ice for much of the season, gets some gadget work in practices and eventually runs the scout team. The other is that he we don’t hear from him until 2024 training camp, during which he gets as many reps as possible. Then you can see if there is something still there. The idea he was going to come here and make Prescott shit his pants is amusing.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
“I was involved in the evaluation, but the actual business component of it, I am not involved in it,” McCarthy said
“Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Saturday after the team acquired the quarterback for a fourth-round pick that the front office had told nobody, including coach Mike McCarthy, until the deal was done. That prompted a question to McCarthy on Monday about specifics of how the trade went down.”

Great job ignoring the paragraph above it, especially since the evaluation statement was based on when they evaluated him in 2021 when he entered the draft.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, Jerry made it clear in his video interviews that he didn't tell anyone, that he didn't even get off the phone with them when they called.

Mike was simply trying to make the best of a very awkward situation when mentioning his evaluation, which was before the draft two years ago.

This was one of those times where Jerry wanted to make it very clear to everyone that he's still the king around here.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
“Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Saturday after the team acquired the quarterback for a fourth-round pick that the front office had told nobody, including coach Mike McCarthy, until the deal was done. That prompted a question to McCarthy on Monday about specifics of how the trade went down.”

Great job ignoring the paragraph above it, especially since the evaluation statement was based on when they evaluated him in 2021 when he entered the draft.
I didn’t ignore a damn thing. I’m going off exactly what is being said. Pretty easy to explain, imo. They discussed the player. Went thru evaluations and his fit with the team. Then jerry went thru with the trade later. Not discussing the parameters of it with the coaching staff.

As far as the only evaluation of him being done prior to his draft, that’s purely speculation on your part. The way the quote is written, it’s pretty obvious the evaluations were done in conjunction with this trade. Unless of course it’s being interpreted by someone with an agenda.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I seriously doubt it was a thorough evaluation considering they were happy with Dak and didn't want any part of a qb controversy. I guarantee you they spent way more time breaking down film of Surtain and Horn.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah, Jerry made it clear in his video interviews that he didn't tell anyone, that he didn't even get off the phone with them when they called.

Mike was simply trying to make the best of a very awkward situation when mentioning his evaluation, which was before the draft two years ago.

This was one of those times where Jerry wanted to make it very clear to everyone that he's still the king around here.
@NoDak, I’m not the only one who understands it this way.

This is all spin on McCarthy’s part, as it would be expected to be. It really doesn’t look like he had any involvement in this.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah as much as I wish that this was McCarthy weighing in and telling Jerry to get a guy he liked, that doesn't appear to be the case, unless Jerry is lying.

I think the best we can hope for is Jerry remembering how much someone like McClay liked Lance back at draft time, and just unilaterally deciding to go for it.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Jerry has been shoving player moves up a HC's ass for a quarter century. Every time you think the dementia medication has finally rendered him harmless, he pulls shit like this.

4th round pick for a guy who couldn't beat out Sam Darnold, a guy who will most likely be inactive for every game. Rush is perfectly adequate as a backup, and Dak is, well . . . Dak.

Maybe the dementia medication and Jack Daniels were more than Jerry could handle.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It’s Manziel all over again with Jerry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
His broken ankle took that away.
He actually was a pretty good runner earlier in his career. He isn't a super speedy guy who is going to burn people but he was definitely mobile, capable of making guys miss, and actually can lower his shoulder and break some tackles.

But after the ankle injury I think they just try to avoid it at all costs.

ZeroClub

UFA
Ya'll remember that in the playoffs last year, there was talk of Dak running more given the higher stakes of those games. But they don't want Dak running much during the regular season due to potential injury concerns.

He's not the same runner now as he was at Mississippi State or earlier in his career with the Cowboys, but he can still do a credible job running when there's an opportunity and the situation calls for it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He does have some raw measurables that could translate to stardom if he ever figures out actual NFL QBing, but the effort it will take to get him there might take his own personal QB coach.
The biggest thing holding him back is the lack of live reps. Now that we're on the cusp of the season starting, I just don't see where the extra reps are going to come from. They're not going to cut into Dak and Cooper's weekly game prep reps just to get Lance up to speed.

What's that leave him with, scout team scraps where he's not even running plays from the Cowboys' scheme?

So I think you may be on to something. If this little project is a priority for Jerry maybe they do assign him his own coach to accelerate his development.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
What's that leave him with, scout team scraps where he's not even running plays from the Cowboys' scheme?
That's what Parcells did with Romo, right?

So I think you may be on to something. If this little project is a priority for Jerry maybe they do assign him his own coach to accelerate his development.
Anyone have David Lee's number?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lance has first round traits but he has a long way to go to develop them.
What are those traits though? Athletic speed and agility yes, but "1st round" for QB's means completely different things.

Unlike Lance, Rodgers had a cannon of an arm and could make every throw.

Lance was not decisive enough at times, and that is at the FBS league level-- the gap only widens when projected at the NFL level. He also lacks the arm strength you associate with 1st round talents.

He was a playmaker and his football IQ was high for his level is all we have to go on... no feel for next level accuracy, toughness, or durability.

Total project, really, enough where the 49ers bailed on him in favor of a guy in Purdy with average at best measurables and whose top quality is not fucking things up.

Frankly don't be surprised when the 49ers acquire another QB in the next year or two.

IMO Lance 1) is a distraction for the coaching staff as they'll be tasked with developing a guy Kyle Shanahan flat gave up on and 2) is a walking, talking, practicing (but never playing) excuse for the Joneses not to draft a real QB prospect in the 1st-2nd rounds next year.

The biggest thing holding him back is the lack of live reps.
This is huge, IMO, and he'll have no chance to actually gain those reps until preseason 2024. Frankly I'd rather have a 2024 2nd round pick getting those reps instead, with no Lance or Rush around at all.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Top Bottom