Cowboys Trade for QB Trey Lance

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I dunno, I went back and watched his preseason highlights. He started out brutal against the Broncos but put it together as he went on. He still has growing to do but considering he’s the same age as other rookie QBs drafted this year, a fourth is well worth it.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I dunno, I went back and watched his preseason highlights. He started out brutal against the Broncos but put it together as he went on. He still has growing to do but considering he’s the same age as other rookie QBs drafted this year, a fourth is well worth it.
I agree. There is obviously some risk involved here, but the payoff could be spectacular. I fully expect us to completely fuck up the payoff part though. It's just who we are.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Bryce Young and CJ Stroud didn't look much better this preseason. Obviously Lance has time in the NFL over them but he's sat out a large chunk due to injuries, and ultimately it's just a 4.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bryce Young and CJ Stroud didn't look much better this preseason. Obviously Lance has time in the NFL over them but he's sat out a large chunk due to injuries, and ultimately it's just a 4.
You are absolutely correct. Neither one was put into great situations, especially Stroud in his first game.

Handling a QB is a delicate process and when you see non-freak sure thing QBs make it, that depends a lot on the relationship.

Perhaps Lance was just in a bad situation with Shanahan's kid. He has a history.

The cost of a 4th for a QB is nothing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What are those traits though? Athletic speed and agility yes, but "1st round" for QB's means completely different things.

Unlike Lance, Rodgers had a cannon of an arm and could make every throw.

Lance was not decisive enough at times, and that is at the FBS league level-- the gap only widens when projected at the NFL level. He also lacks the arm strength you associate with 1st round talents.

He was a playmaker and his football IQ was high for his level is all we have to go on... no feel for next level accuracy, toughness, or durability.

Total project, really, enough where the 49ers bailed on him in favor of a guy in Purdy with average at best measurables and whose top quality is not fucking things up.

Frankly don't be surprised when the 49ers acquire another QB in the next year or two.

IMO Lance 1) is a distraction for the coaching staff as they'll be tasked with developing a guy Kyle Shanahan flat gave up on and 2) is a walking, talking, practicing (but never playing) excuse for the Joneses not to draft a real QB prospect in the 1st-2nd rounds next year.

This is huge, IMO, and he'll have no chance to actually gain those reps until preseason 2024. Frankly I'd rather have a 2024 2nd round pick getting those reps instead, with no Lance or Rush around at all.
I love how people are experts on a player they didn't even have a clue who they were unit about a month before they were drafted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know who looked worse? Richardson. That guy looks awful.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I love how people are experts on a player they didn't even have a clue who they were unit about a month before they were drafted.
Who’s claiming to be an expert?

And whether or not I have an expert opinion, it doesn’t change the fact this kid is goingto suck up a roster spot with few opportunities to develop.

If he was an honest to-God 2nd round pick talent, they’d have cut Rush and gone all in on him and no way in Hell would the 49ers have let him go.

I mean, that’s a team with no QB … and they couldn’t wait to deal him to a playoff rival two years running. Telling if you ask me, though of course I’m no expert

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are costs though in roster spots, reps, and coaches time to develop that QB.

Curious to know what are we going to do that SF hasn’t already tried.
He was constantly injured and almost certainly feeling the pressure to live up to where he was picked. If he can just stay healthy (he should since he won't be playing really) he could take a jump in the next 12 months or so now that he's in a low pressure environment.

And for me what I'd really be looking at is showcasing him next preseason in hopes someone wants to give us a 2 for him.

Top Bottom