Cowboys Start DC Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Parsons would 1000% have to play that important weak side LB role in a Zimmer D. Then let him rush on 3rd down.
He'll probably play a role similar to what Barr did in Minnesota, which is basically splitting time at off-ball LB and the edge. He'd probably rush more than Barr did just because he's one of the best in the league at it, but I think he'd be off ball a good bit more than he was under Quinn.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm no DFDC, but I'm surprised so many are buying the Zimmer hire. And I even like Zimmer and how tough he is. But hiring an old Jerry crony for a lame duck coach is a terrible idea. Plus I really don't see how Parsons fits into a traditional 43.

I'd much rather have someone with no previous Jerry ties and who leans to a 34.
Bringing McCarthy back was a terrible idea to begin with so what difference does it make now?

I don't think Zimmer is a downgrade from Quinn so whatever.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Bringing McCarthy back was a terrible idea to begin with so what difference does it make now?

Everyone talks about how Jerry is old and can't afford to waste years so we have to keep Dak, can't rebuild, etc.

Yet he's willing to flush 2024 before the '23 Superbowl has even kicked off. And we can all see it coming. Makes no sense at all.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Everyone talks about how Jerry is old and can't afford to waste years so we have to keep Dak, can't rebuild, etc.

Yet he's willing to flush 2024 before the '23 Superbowl has even kicked off. And we can all see it coming. Makes no sense at all.
What is the non flush scenario? Firing McCarthy and going “all in” for Belichick?

asklesko

Whoa An Active DCCer
Is it only in Dallas that hiring a DC is treated like hiring an HC?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry:

“I don't anticipate that being an issue at all," he said. "If they take the job, they will be coordinator of the Cowboys. They would be looking at that right there and all that goes with that. If they're aspiring, they know there's a chance to be a head coach someplace, because the one that just left is."

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry:

“I don't anticipate that being an issue at all," he said. "If they take the job, they will be coordinator of the Cowboys. They would be looking at that right there and all that goes with that. If they're aspiring, they know there's a chance to be a head coach someplace, because the one that just left is."
Tell that to Mike Nolan, dumbass.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
At this point, I'd be shocked if Zimmer wasn't the next DC. All superfans (yes, you are...you're on a Cowboys message board) know how this team works. It is a familiar (comfortable) hire with HC experience. Rivera and the Brit will be the minority interviews.

And it wouldn't shock me one bit if Zimm was the next HC if D plays well but we still don't progress to the NFC championship game.

In fact, I think he would have been looked at very seriously if Fat Mike had been fired.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
At this point, I'd be shocked if Zimmer wasn't the next DC. All superfans (yes, you are...you're on a Cowboys message board) know how this team works. It is a familiar (comfortable) hire with HC experience. Rivera and the Brit will be the minority interviews.

And it wouldn't shock me one bit if Zimm was the next HC if D plays well but we still don't progress to the NFC championship game.

In fact, I think he would have been looked at very seriously if Fat Mike had been fired.
Notice how the common denominator with Fat Mike and Zimmer is that both were (are) old, out of work retreads as they're being considered.

What does that tell you about Jerry?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Notice how the common denominator with Fat Mike and Zimmer is that both were (are) old, out of work retreads as they're being considered.

That he is awesome!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I mean Jerry does have a pattern. He likes guys who have been head coaches before. He just shies heavily away from the inexperienced guys, unless it's someone that he feels like he developed himself. A Garrett or Kellen Moore type who had strong connections to the team for basically their entire careers. So yeah, Zimmer sort of has the prior connection to Dallas and the head coaching experience. But in this particular case I don't think it makes him a bad candidate at all. Without knowing the young up and coming assistants on other teams he kind of looks like the best candidate to me. And like I said, I like the hardass approach, I think that's what the defense needs. I think the players loved Quinn but over time it turned into lazy and undisciplined.

As far as improvement goes, I agree, I'm not looking for our defense to make some sort of a jump in the regular season. But I'm looking for a defense that can beat the teams that we can't seem to beat right now. And yes that means someone who can stop the metro sexual offense. And supposedly Zimmer is as good as anyone at doing that. If that gives us a fighting chance against the 49ers in the playoffs, than that's what we need.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Especially vs metrosexually run offenses

Our DL is undersized rn, and when you add in the "linebackers" it got crazy. In 2023 if we weren't playing with the lead, we were fucked.

Mazi, one of the guys meant to be a physical presence to counter the rest, instead transformed into a major reclamation project. Hankins is a journeyman who got hurt on top of it.

Lawrence had a good season, though he occasionally showed his age

I'd trust a DL-rebuild to Zimmer.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

That's the part that drives me crazy. He's desperate but not enough to make changes that really matter. He never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom