Cowboys Sign QB Andy Dalton

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What does Andy Dalton’s deal with Dallas mean for Dak Prescott and the Cowboys?

By Jon Machota May 2, 2020

When Andy Dalton was released by the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday, speculation started to swirl. Would the three-time Pro Bowl quarterback sign with the Patriots, possibly becoming Tom Brady’s heir apparent? Would he go join his former offensive coordinator Jay Gruden with the Jaguars?

Neither ended up being the spot. Instead, Dalton is headed to Dallas. The former TCU star agreed to a one-year deal with the Cowboys on Saturday worth up to $7 million with $3 million guaranteed, according to a source.

To be clear, Dalton is not being added to compete with Dak Prescott for the starting QB job. Although Prescott and the Cowboys have yet to agree on a long-term contract extension, the team placed the exclusive rights franchise tag on him in March. The two sides have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal. If they do not, the Cowboys expect Prescott to sign the tag, paying him roughly $31 million for the 2020 season. They then plan to have him as their starter for the fifth consecutive season.

“When we’re ready to play,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said last week, “he’ll be there.”

Dalton, who already has a home in Dallas, was the Bengals’ starter for the last nine seasons. Cincinnati made the playoffs five times during that stretch, falling in the wild card round each time. Dalton, 32, has a career record of 70-61-2 as a starter. He has completed 62 percent of his passes for 31,594 yards, 204 touchdowns and 118 interceptions, posting a career passer rating of 87.5. According to Pro Football Reference, Dalton has orchestrated 20 comebacks and 24-game winning drives. He has also rushed 394 times for 1,221 yards and 22 touchdowns.

It became clear that last season was probably Dalton’s final one in Cincy, as the Bengals won only two games, putting them in position for the No. 1 overall pick, which they used on former LSU star quarterback Joe Burrow.

Dalton’s role will be very different in Dallas. He becomes the first veteran quarterback with starting experience to join the team since Mark Sanchez in 2016. Sanchez signed to be Prescott’s backup after Tony Romo injured his back in the preseason.

The Cowboys now have a crowded quarterback room. Cooper Rush, the team’s backup the last three seasons, signed his restricted free agent tender in March. That deal will pay him $2.1 million for the 2020 season. Dallas also drafted former James Madison quarterback Ben DiNucci in the seventh round.

With Mike McCarthy in his first year as Dallas’ head coach, there was talk before the draft about the Cowboys adding a developmental quarterback like the Packers routinely did during his time in Green Bay. Look for the Cowboys to now potentially keep three quarterbacks on their final roster. NFL rosters expanding to 55 players under the new collective bargaining agreement could make that plan more feasible.

“Obviously, we have great love for Dak,” McCarthy said last month. “But if you go back to Ron Wolf in the early 90s and what was established (in Green Bay), the ability to keep the most important position in football and develop that quarterback room. You can see the value not only it has for your football team if the starter is injured, but also the value it can bring to your team as younger quarterbacks move on.”

In Dalton, a loaded offense now has a proven starter as a backup in case anything happens to Prescott. Although Prescott has not missed a start in 64 NFL games, he did injure his throwing shoulder in Week 15 last season on a QB keeper. Prescott struggled the following week, but he was never going to miss that game in Philadelphia with the division on the line.

The Cowboys’ quarterback will have plenty to work with. Not only does Dallas continue to have a talented offensive line with standouts like Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and La’el Collins, but it has one of the NFL’s top running backs in Ezekiel Elliott and arguably the league’s top receiving trio in four-time Pro Bowler Amari Cooper, 1,000-yard receiver Michael Gallup and recent first-round pick CeeDee Lamb. It should again be one of the league’s top offenses in 2020.

Dalton gives the Cowboys an accomplished player to drive the car if for some reason Prescott can’t. But as long as Prescott is in uniform, he’ll have the keys.

The Cowboys have given their starting quarterback a contract offer that would make him among the highest-paid players in the league. The number of years on the contract has been one of the holdups. The Cowboys would like a five-year deal, similar to what Cooper agreed to in March. Prescott and his camp are reportedly looking for four years, giving him a quicker opportunity to reach free agency and potentially make much more as the quarterback market continues to significantly increase by the year.

“Dak’s our guy,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said last week on ESPN’s SportsCenter. “No one thinks more of Dak Prescott than Jerry Jones and myself. I know Mike (McCarthy), when he signed on (to be Cowboys head coach), part of why he signed on was Dak Prescott. It’s just getting it done. The bigger these deals get, Jerry and I have always found that to be the case in business, the bigger the dollars get, the harder they get. We believe in our track record of getting players signed. I totally believe we’ll get Dak signed at the right number that’s good for Dak, good for the Cowboys, good for this team.

“And I think at the end of the day, the fact that we’re getting some nice hype for our draft, I think he’s going to want to get in here and get with these players, whether it’s CeeDee Lamb or anyone else. He wants to win. We’ve said all along, the only one who benefits more than Dak Prescott if the Cowboys happen to be fortunate enough to win a championship is probably the Jones family. So we’re all motivated, we’re all motivated to win. We certainly want Dak to be happy, but we also want to surround him with great football players.”

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Dalton isnt going to come in and light it up, he has to learn the playbook, get chemistry with the players, its not plug and play. he knows Dak is the man in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dalton isnt going to come in and light it up, he has to learn the playbook, get chemistry with the players, its not plug and play. he knows Dak is the man in Dallas.
Dalton isn't lighting people up at his age. He is a good player still. Maybe even borderline middle of the road starter. The problem is this offseason teams weren't particularly interested in someone who is at best middle of the road. Thus making him a perfect backup.

You'd have to be dumb to want Dalton over Dak but ask a backup to Dak it's a pretty stellar backup. I don't think he is washed up the way Brad Johnson was for example.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
would've preferred Newton, who's not a sitting duck in the pocket, but I'm not sure they want all the baggage that comes with him

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
would've preferred Newton, who's not a sitting duck in the pocket, but I'm not sure they want all the baggage that comes with him
Newton would be a nightmare as a backup in my opinion. You have to consider what a guy would be like when probably playing zero meaningful snaps. I think Newton could create a toxic situation with the wrong team. I think Dalton is a guy who will be content being a backup for a year and helping Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dalton isn't lighting people up at his age. He is a good player still. Maybe even borderline middle of the road starter. The problem is this offseason teams weren't particularly interested in someone who is at best middle of the road. Thus making him a perfect backup.

You'd have to be dumb to want Dalton over Dak but ask a backup to Dak it's a pretty stellar backup. I don't think he is washed up the way Brad Johnson was for example.
He is to Dak as Bernie Kosar was to Troy

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Who can name all the redheads that have played for the Dallas Cowboys? ...and why does it seem they always play QB for us? We have the same # of black QBs as we have redhead QBs. 4-4
There have been more than 4 black QBs.

Reggie Collier
Randall Cunningham
Rodney Peete
Anthony Wright
Quincy Carter
Dak Prescott

Top Bottom