Cowboys Sign QB Andy Dalton

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Shocked the shit out of me. At the end of it all, it is logical.

They can trade him for whatever as soon as someone's starter goes down.

Might even get a comp pick for him if he signs elsewhere next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That was my first thought but eh, screw it. It makes the team better so I'm on board.
If you want to get pissed about something get pissed about this:

Cooper Rush: 2.13 million
Chris Jones: 2.4 million (1 million dead cap, so cutting him would save 1.4 million)
Jamize Olawale: 1.7 million
Maurice Canady: 1.25 million
Joe Thomas: 1.24 million
Darian Thompson: 1.2 million
CJ Goodwin: 900K
Justin March: 900K

As far as I can tell all of those guys except for Jones did not have contracts after the 2019 season ended and were actively re-signed, they weren't carry overs from existing contracts like Jones. Add all that up and you have nearly an 11 million cap hit.

I believe the league minimum salary is about $600K, perhaps lower for rookies, so if you replace all of those shitbirds who aren't likely to do shit for us next year with minimum salary players you'd have around 5-6 million left over, which is enough of a first year cap hit to sign a legitimate impact player like Chris Harris, Quinton Jefferson, Michael Pierce, Vonn Bell, and on and on and on.

Hell, our highest dollar signings were Poe and McCoy and both of them count less than 5 million against the cap this year.

And this isn't even getting into the Crawford situation and how much we could save by getting rid of him.

I'm never going to bitch about them signing a legitimate starting QB as a backup when we've handed out unnecessary money to all these scrubs in lieu of signing an actual impact player.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I’ve been painting rooms in my house and just saw this. I love this signing. It’s about fucking time we finally took the backup QB spot seriously. It’s further proof as to how fucking worthless our spineless piece of shit former head coach was.

I haven’t seen this much positive news coming from the Cowboys in years. It’s a little scary to be honest. Scary that with a real coaching staff real things that need to be done are getting done and even more scary that they wasted so many Prime years with prime players with the Buffoon of a head coach in Garrett. Four years should have been enough to see he was in over his head.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
You gotta love how suddenly Jerry and Steven aren’t entirely outmatched. Dak is probably none to excited about now
I can't believe there are actually homers out there, Blogging the Boys for one, claiming Dalton's signing will have absolutely no impact on negotiations with Dak.

This deal with Dalton absolutely gives the Cowboys a little more leverage in their negotiations with Dak. When they're at the negotiating table the Cowboys won't flat out throw Dalton's name and resume in the face of Dak and his representatives, but it will be that unmentioned elephant in the room sitting on everyone's mind.

The dynamics of the negotiations certainly change to a degree when you go to the negotiating table with 3 x Pro Bowler who's led his former team to the playoffs 4 times in your back pocket.....as opposed to going to the table with Cooper Rush as next best QB on your roster.

Dallas is now essentially working with a safety net. Whereas up until yesterday, they were Nik Wallenda-ing that shit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This move (Dalton) is in my opinion another message from Jones that fits with what he is doing with players and staff who he is putting on notice. His initial message to Dak didn't move him and that is refusing to renew his contract on reasonable terms. He let Garrett’s contract expire after setting goals to attain. Garrett apparently couldn’t get there. I think Dak is also on the same situation. Since he refused Jones offer he is now at the mercy of attaining the goal Jones has determined he should reach before he pays him top tier money.

Jones caved on Elliot but obviously Jones wasn’t going to let him go. I’m not sure Dak has gained that position yet.

Dalton is a good move regardless of Daks status but I think it is also another message. Dak now has every tool needed to reach the goal. He is also tagged for the entire season so now he is on the hot seat to convince the boss that he deserves the money and contract he is demanding.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Been reviewing clips of the Dal-Cincy game from 2016. He can't move at all .. and that was four years ago. If he sees the field they better protect him, because he ain't making any plays with his legs.

data

Forbes #1
Who can name all the redheads that have played for the Dallas Cowboys? ...and why does it seem they always play QB for us? We have the same # of black QBs as we have redhead QBs. 4-4

Last edited:
Top Bottom