Cowboys Sign QB Andy Dalton

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Good. Been a long time since we had a decent backup QB. Now I dare say we have one of the best backups in the league.

Kind of a shots fired at Dak situation too. Not that I’m insinuating that Dalton is anywhere on par with Dak... but here is a guy that Dak probably doesn’t want to risk having the team see what he does behind this OL with Elliott and these WRs.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Good insurance policy, imo.

It would be a shame to have Dak go down and watch Cooper Rush throw for 180 yards every week and score 13 points as an offense.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I replied in the other FA thread before this was created.

I dunno about “vindicated” but if McCarthy is serious about a SB run, it’s not often that you can get a QB who can really be expected to keep you afloat if your starter goes down for multiple weeks. We haven’t had one since Orton or maybe Kitna even. Most teams don’t have one because supply is so limited.

We now have one who could very reasonably be expected to go 3-2 or 4-2 if Dak goes out a month or month and a half.

This says they think they can win big this year.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I replied in the other FA thread before this was created.

I dunno about “vindicated” but if McCarthy is serious about a SB run, it’s not often that you can get a QB who can really be expected to keep you afloat if your starter goes down for multiple weeks. We haven’t had one since Orton or maybe Kitna even. Most teams don’t have one because supply is so limited.

We now have one who could very reasonably be expected to go 3-2 or 4-2 if Dak goes out a month or month and a half.

This says they think they can win big this year.
Dalton is not bad, at least not when I’ve watched the Bengals over the years. He can win games.

I like this signing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dalton is not bad, at least not when I’ve watched the Bengals over the years. He can win games.

I like this signing.
He is a little expensive but it ain't my money.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm glad they finally decided to take the backup job seriously. Booze assured me that they wouldn't. :laff And I guess it's insurance if Dak pouts and does something stupid.
Right on.

I absolutely love this signing for all of those reasons.

First, we actually have a legit backup quarterback for once. And while it's not an open quarterback competition, Dalton is good enough to warrant a look should Dak struggle for whatever reason.

He's not some over the hill scrub who has no chance to ever play like most of the backups we've had in Dallas over the last 15 years or so

It's great to see some sort of competition again at that position and not just some guy who will never ever threaten the starter in any way.

What a difference having a real coach makes.

Second, it gives us some insurance should Dak hold out. Dalton has his faults, but he isn't without talent. He's good enough on his best day to where at times he can look like a pro bowler. The issue with him and guys like him is that they can't perform like that consistently and they usually will let you down in the end. But again, he has the talent and ability to play good football for stretches and that is a huge advantage in various ways for the Cowboys.

I'm a big big fan of this signing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm glad they finally decided to take the backup job seriously. Booze assured me that they wouldn't. :laff And I guess it's insurance if Dak pouts and does something stupid.
It really shocks me.

I figured it was business as usual, but clearly not.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Whoa, surprised he didn't go to the Patriots like well, pretty much everyone talked about.

But this is long overdue. If you think you really might go places, you don't roll with Cooper Freaking Rush at backup QB.

Who I guess can go be a Giant now.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

don't miss any road games Dak, esp late in the year

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Now let Dak hold out and the team start 4-1. Let's really get some fireworks going.

Top Bottom