Cowboys Round 3 (82) Selection - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys
Picks made: CB Trevon Diggs (No. 51 overall), DT Neville Gallimore (No. 82 overall)

Grade: A

Analysis: After acing the first round with WR CeeDee Lamb, Dallas did it again in Round 2 by taking Diggs. The Alabama standout was our No. 3 cornerback in the draft, so this is amazing value. Jerry Jones gets his Byron Jones replacement.

The Cowboys continued their strong draft in Round 3 by taking Neville Gallimore, the athletic defensive tackle out of Oklahoma. Another steal for Dallas as Gallimore was ranked fifth on our top defensive tackles list.

Cotton

Staff member
82) Dallas Cowboys: DT Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma — This might not be quite the steal some will make it out to be, but the Cowboys continue to hoover up great value picks — and at positions of need to boot. Gallimore plays with a relentless motor and made some shockingly athletic plays in college that guys his size normally do not. His technique can be a hot mess at times, but Gallimore is a perfect rotational guy who will light a fire under this unit. Grade: B+.

Cotton

Staff member

Watch his chase down the QB at the 1:05 mark. That's a NT... chasing a QB.... and catching him. Oh em gee.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Watch his chase down the QB at the 1:05 mark. That's a NT... chasing a QB.... and catching him. Oh em gee.
Marinelli couldn't give him a "loaf" on that one... :tippytoe

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
See, to me that's okay. Not every pick has to be a home run. This guy if nothing else is extremely solid with no character red flags. I'd rather have that than another Hill who has the athletic ability but is an unreliable flake.

I remember when Parcells drafted Hatcher and they asked him why. He said simply, "Because he's 290 and ran a 4.7." Sometimes big and fast is enough at this point when you don't have work ethic or character questions.
I agree, Collins was basically a 4-year starter for us on two teams who were one game away from the NFCC. Every pick isn't going to be an 8-10 year starter, and while that's obviously what you're shooting for, I'm ok with a "Maliek Collins outcome" out of most 3rd rounders.

When you consider that we've drafted complete shitbirds like Chaz Green in the 3rd and Trysten Hill in the 2nd I'm fine with a Maliek Collins in the 3rd, and even though I was and still mostly am a fan of the Jourdan Lewis pick there's no argument that the Collins pick was way more successful than the Lewis one to this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What Oklahoma DT Neville Gallimore will bring to the Dallas Cowboys

By Jason Kersey Apr 24, 2020

NORMAN, Okla. — Oklahoma defensive tackle Neville Gallimore hopes he can be an inspiration to other kids like him.
A native of Ottawa, Canada, Gallimore — who was selected by Dallas with the 82nd pick in the NFL Draft — played high school football at Canada Prep Academy in St. Catharines, Ontario, across the border from Buffalo. CPA played against U.S. high school teams and Gallimore became a top-100 prospect in the 2015 recruiting class before starting 38 games at OU.

“It doesn’t matter where you come from, what your background is,” Gallimore said at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this year. “If you love this game and you are passionate and you have that hunger, anything is possible. Especially coming from where I come from, there are very, very few guys who have gotten the opportunity to play at the next level or play in the NFL. To be in this position is a blessing, but it’s also humbling. I always tell those guys: Don’t ever count yourself out.”

Gallimore, who stands 6-foot-2 and 304 pounds and played nose tackle at OU, is an athletic freak. He was clocked at 4.79 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He played well at Oklahoma, but there often was a sense that he was underachieving, especially before his senior season. How much of that is Gallimore’s fault, though, is up for debate considering the state of the Sooners’ defense the past few seasons.

Oklahoma fielded some of the worst defenses in school history in 2017 and ’18, but as with many defensive teammates, Gallimore made a drastic improvement in 2019 under first-year coordinator Alex Grinch.

Gallimore was a first-team All-Big 12 selection in 2019, making him the first OU defensive tackle to earn such honors in a decade. He finished his OU career with 148 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, nine sacks and five forced fumbles.

Not bad for a Canadian kid who didn’t discover football until he was 11, when he spotted some friends in his neighborhood playing football and decided to join them.

“I just hope the game evolves in the sense that coaches and scouts are willing to go wherever they have to go to find the talent,” Gallimore said at the combine. “I’m not speaking for Canada; I’m not speaking for Ottawa. I’m speaking for the kids who have a dream and grow up watching football, grow up having that passion and have that talent and the work ethic. That if you have the desire to play, you won’t have to go out of your way to get found, they’ll come find you. …

“Both of my parents are from Jamaica, and when I go there, there is so much talent and so many guys who if they got an opportunity, I wonder what they’d do with it.”

He is not a finished product. His college production wasn’t overly impressive for a guy with his power and athleticism. But that power and athleticism give him an intriguing upside.

Gallimore, who has a bachelor’s degree in cultural awareness and organizational studies, was the first non-American player invited to Nike’s The Opening and was the first Canadian to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He is the first OU interior defensive lineman to be drafted since Jordan Phillips went in the second round in 2015.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I agree, Collins was basically a 4-year starter for us on two teams who were one game away from the NFCC. Every pick isn't going to be an 8-10 year starter, and while that's obviously what you're shooting for, I'm ok with a "Maliek Collins outcome" out of most 3rd rounders.

When you consider that we've drafted complete shitbirds like Chaz Green in the 3rd and Trysten Hill in the 2nd I'm fine with a Maliek Collins in the 3rd, and even though I was and still mostly am a fan of the Jourdan Lewis pick there's no argument that the Collins pick was way more successful than the Lewis one to this point.
I don’t agree. Jourdan Lewis I think is a better pick and player. The staff just hasn’t used him.

But yeah, getting a Maliek Collins is not a terrible thing. Still a good pick. And Gallimore could be more than that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I’m Charles Tapper scarred on mid round DLs from OU, though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don’t agree. Jourdan Lewis I think is a better pick and player. The staff just hasn’t used him.

But yeah, getting a Maliek Collins is not a terrible thing. Still a good pick. And Gallimore could be more than that.
Maybe, I'm very comfortable with the Gallimore pick though. Would've been fine with him in the second honestly.

At the very least he's a good rotational player behind McCoy/Poe and I think he develops into a starter by year 2 or 3, he also forces Hill into a position where he has to improve to hold onto his roster spot or he's relegated to being inactive week after week.

I'm never going to argue with investing in the trenches with a guy who is one of the top players available.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
You have to look at the garbage 3-3-5 college scheme this guy played in as well when a lot of the times only 3 guys are rushing. I think he is terrorizing the NFL within a couple of years under a solid defensive coach like Nolan.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life

I think at the least, compared to Collins, he will be similarly productive as an interior rusher (good, not great pressure player) and fairly superior as a run defender (the one thing about Collins is he had terrible balance for a big man).
Could be significantly better than that in time. The important thing is that he can learn from a veteran like McCoy and doesn't have to carry the load from day one.

shane

DCC 4Life
I still love this pick. To me we drafted 3 long term starters in the first 3 rounds. An excellent draft for a team that didn't have like 6 picks in the first two days like some teams.
To get a freak athlete like this with a lot of potential in the third round is exciting. He's not a slam dunk by any stretch but seems like if it clicks for him he could be dominant.

Top Bottom