Cowboys Round 3 (82) Selection - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There’s probably endless great stories like this around the league.

How about 2016 when Dallas desperately tried to trade back into the first with Seattle to get Paxton Lynch and then after that effort barely failed narrowly lost out on Connor Cook in the 2nd only to strike good in Dak in the 4th round?
For sure, how a draft unfolds is extremely delicate and I wouldn't be surprised if more times than not these guys are saved from themselves.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
For sure, how a draft unfolds is extremely delicate and I wouldn't be surprised if more times than not these guys are saved from themselves.
I would think that's probably true for every team in the league. We of course judge our own team more harshly, as we follow them more closely than others. But if you look, every teams fans bitch about their F.O. just as every team has their head scratching moves.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is why I’m not jumping the gun to say this is gonna be an every year thing for us. We got lucky.
Hell, half the draft is luck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hell, half the draft is luck.
It is but it's the teams that are smart enough to take advantage of that luck that win as opposed to teams that get desperate and either trade up or they ignore the obvious talent because of need.

By the way I really think the Patriots suck at drafting. I have for a long time thought this. Without Brady I think it's going to be really evident. Their draft sucked and every good veteran free agent isn't going to be begging to go to New England on the cheap to make up for it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think this year certainly illustrates what a big role luck plays.
We made our own luck though. There’s almost always value at every pick in every draft. It’s just hard to evaluate players right and remain disciplined enough to draft them when you can’t necessarily see how they make you better this year.

The potential impact in 2020 of Lamb vs. Chaisson will be debated by some as it’s clear we needed a pass rusher more than a WR, but given what they knew Dallas took the better player. The discipline to see years into the future takes guts to carry out when immediate success is at stake.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The potential impact in 2020 of Lamb vs. Chaisson will be debated by some as it’s clear we needed a pass rusher more than a WR, but given what they knew Dallas took the better player. The discipline to see years into the future takes guts to carry out when immediate success is at stake.
I'd argue that Lamb is such a superior prospect, that he will not only help us more in the future, but more this year as well. Chaisson is a roll of the dice. Very nice measureables, sure. But the production was not there. He is a guy that is a projection. He could turn into a 10 sack a year guy. A force to be reckoned with. Or he could be Mike Mamula. Lamb is much less of a gamble.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd argue that Lamb is such a superior prospect, that he will not only help us more in the future, but more this year as well. Chaisson is a roll of the dice. Very nice measureables, sure. But the production was not there. He is a guy that is a projection. He could turn into a 10 sack a year guy. A force to be reckoned with. Or he could be Mike Mamula. Lamb is much less of a gamble.
Yeah I'm not really sure Chaisson would have started year one. Not that it would prevent me from drafting him but I don't think he would be ready to be a full time RE.

In the end I bet Lamb plays more snaps than Chaisson would have as a rookie.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There’s no doubt Lamb is far superior, but if you’re looking for gaping holes in your team look no further than the serious lack of pass rushers.

Our best guy... 5 sacks. Right pd?

Took guts to look past that hole. Lamb will definitely play more than Caisson would have, but with every day of practice, coaching, and development Chaisson would be building towards meeting one of Dallas’s critical needs.

That need will still be there next year, and it will become desperate if Lawrence didn’t just have a down year but began his decline in 2019.

At least it’s clear where our next big FA contract(s) will be going next year. Thankfully it won’t be at WR— that’s locked up tight for a good while.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was one of my top 3 DTs in the second round. I liked Blacklock and Madubuike more but there were other DTs who went before Gallimore that I didn't get.

Marlon Davidson, Raekwon Davis, Davon Hamilton ahould not have gone before Gallimore in my opinion. And that's not to say they are bad players. I like Hamilton. Just not as talented and productive as Gallimore.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
NFC exec: “I thought Dallas’s Neville Gallimore in the third was a really good pick—we tried to get him … This guy, he’s raw, but to get an in-line rusher in the third round, that’s a really good get, especially when there were no edge guys available. It’s all upside with him. That was a guy that stuck out, that he was still available.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A little birdie told me the Vikings were looking at moving up for Gallimore in the 3rd, they ended up not doing so and instead took Lynch in the 3rd, who they look at as a 3T to some extent.

They had an excellent draft also, and generally seem to draft well overall, so that's something.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
A little birdie told me the Vikings were looking at moving up for Gallimore in the 3rd, they ended up not doing so and instead took Lynch in the 3rd, who they look at as a 3T to some extent.

They had an excellent draft also, and generally seem to draft well overall, so that's something.
That doesn't surprise me about the Vikings.
If Zimmer liked Gallimore that's even more encouraging for Dallas.
Gallimore, IMO, will fit nicely at 3T.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Let’s hope. I think people got caught up looking for more of a finished product than Gallimore and lost sight of the bigger picture.

I’m really hoping the person who claimed Gallimore had power was close to right. He seems less of a power player and more of a hustle guy, IMO, and it would be awesome if he could crush pockets and drive people backwards too

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Interesting because I really like Lynch as well. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's better than Gallimore, although they are different players with different roles.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There’s no doubt Lamb is far superior, but if you’re looking for gaping holes in your team look no further than the serious lack of pass rushers.

Our best guy... 5 sacks. Right pd?

Took guts to look past that hole. Lamb will definitely play more than Caisson would have, but with every day of practice, coaching, and development Chaisson would be building towards meeting one of Dallas’s critical needs.

That need will still be there next year, and it will become desperate if Lawrence didn’t just have a down year but began his decline in 2019.

At least it’s clear where our next big FA contract(s) will be going next year. Thankfully it won’t be at WR— that’s locked up tight for a good while.
I don't think it took guts. I think it was a case of using common sense after being burned recently by placing "need" over "talent" (Hill & Charlton).

Hopefully next year the DL talent lines up with our draft pick. If not, I'll be perfectly fine with them drafting a more talented player at another position. I'd rather add a talented player who will get on the field and contribute strong play at a non-DL position than settle for a lesser DL player just because we're hurting for an edge rusher.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think it took guts. I think it was a case of using common sense after being burned recently by placing "need" over "talent" (Hill & Charlton).

Hopefully next year the DL talent lines up with our draft pick. If not, I'll be perfectly fine with them drafting a more talented player at another position. I'd rather add a talented player who will get on the field and contribute strong play at a non-DL position than settle for a lesser DL player just because we're hurting for an edge rusher.
Next year is a long time from now, though.

You can still be a good defense without pass rushers, but the odds are against it the way teams are passing these days.

We will have to rely on improved pressure up the middle and schemes freeing Lawrence.

The wing and prayer cast for Gregory and Aldon Smith returning to produce like Quinn did last year—doubtful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Next year is a long time from now, though.

You can still be a good defense without pass rushers, but the odds are against it the way teams are passing these days.

We will have to rely on improved pressure up the middle and schemes freeing Lawrence.

The wing and prayer cast for Gregory and Aldon Smith returning to produce like Quinn did last year—doubtful.
And maybe Gregory comes back and looks good again. Aldon Smith is a real long shot to me that I'd never be able to trust with his issues so I leave him out of it. But I could see Gregory being as good as he was in 2018. Which was good but not great.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And maybe Gregory comes back and looks good again. Aldon Smith is a real long shot to me that I'd never be able to trust with his issues so I leave him out of it. But I could see Gregory being as good as he was in 2018. Which was good but not great.
I think a lot of fans are secretly counting on Gregory.

At his best he had 6 sacks, and those plays came with a lot of mental mistakes, some of which undid the sacks.

Nolan can help him, and so will playing next to a block-eating pocket collapser like Poe. But I can tell you this COVID situation isn't doing him any favors. To have any kind of chance he needed to be in OTAs and showing progress ASAP.

Top Bottom