Cowboys Round 3 (82) Selection - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The most horrifying part of it is that we apparently would've considered Diggs at 17.

Taking a similarly rated player while letting the bigger need be the tiebreaker doesn't bother me much.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd love to see our board. I wonder how high we had Gallimore compared to Blacklock and the Texas AM DT.

If Gallimore was our best player in the second round than he must have been rated higher than spme pf these other DTs even though Blacklock was already gone. I really like Gallimore though. I think he has almost no bust potential. He has the potential to be a star but at worst I think he is rock solid.
I'm not going to get excited about the possibility that Gallimore was their highest rated player in the 2nd round.

The Cowboys' have struggled to properly identify DT talent in the draft over the last 10 years.

IIRC, Jay Ratliff (2005) is the last DT who they drafted who wasn't simply a JAG.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is why I’m not jumping the gun to say this is gonna be an every year thing for us. We got lucky.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
IIRC, Jay Ratliff (2005) is the last DT who they drafted who wasn't simply a JAG.
And they burned him out at NT when he was a born 3T.

BTW, Jason Hatcher was pretty good too (when they converted him to a 4-3 DT

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The most horrifying part of it is that we apparently would've considered Diggs at 17.

Taking a similarly rated player while letting the bigger need be the tiebreaker doesn't bother me much.
I guess I just have a negative opinion on Gallimore.

To me, he would have never got any first round consideration, even if I were desperate for a player at his position.

But Diggs as a first makes a lot more sense to me if you apply the same principle.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And they burned him out at NT when he was a born 3T.

BTW, Jason Hatcher was pretty good too (when they converted him to a 4-3 DT
For one year, in his contract year.

That was a confluence of events.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
C
I'd love to see our board. I wonder how high we had Gallimore compared to Blacklock and the Texas AM DT.

If Gallimore was our best player in the second round than he must have been rated higher than spme pf these other DTs even though Blacklock was already gone. I really like Gallimore though. I think he has almost no bust potential. He has the potential to be a star but at worst I think he is rock solid.
I agree. He's got a really good first step and active hands. At the very least he'll be a disruptive interior rusher starting out.
Give him a little bit of experience under Tomsula and I bet he'll become a real solid against the run, too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And maybe that wasn't really true. Sometimes Jerry likes to make picks sound a little better than they are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
C

I agree. He's got a really good first step and active hands. At the very least he'll be a disruptive interior rusher starting out.
Give him a little bit of experience under Tomsula and I bet he'll become a real solid against the run, too.
I think that's exactly right. He will get up field. He just needs to refine his pass rush so he can get sacks while disrupting.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

To me, he would have never got any first round consideration, even if I were desperate for a player at his position.

But Diggs as a first makes a lot more sense to me if you apply the same principle.
Neither of them were worthy of being taken at 17. I'd buy an argument that Diggs was a late 1st caliber prospect, but never in a million years was Gallimore a 1 and if they had him ranked that high it's a pretty good indication that things just worked out as ideally as possible in this particular draft for us.

Taking Diggs or Terrell at 17 would've been a legitimate disaster, but at this point we're really just splitting hairs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Neither of them were worthy of being taken at 17. I'd buy an argument that Diggs was a late 1st caliber prospect, but never in a million years was Gallimore a 1 and if they had him ranked that high it's a pretty good indication that things just worked out as ideally as possible in this particular draft for us.

Taking Diggs or Terrell at 17 would've been a legitimate disaster, but at this point we're really just splitting hairs.
Yeah it's interesting because hypotherically if we had this draft and didn't get Lamb, does it ruin the rest of the draft for everyone? I mean I think we got lots of other good players besides Lamb but if you bump everyone else up a round sort of and don't get Lamb does it make the whole draft a failure?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah it's interesting because hypotherically if we had this draft and didn't get Lamb, does it ruin the rest of the draft for everyone? I mean I think we got lots of other good players besides Lamb but if you bump everyone else up a round sort of and don't get Lamb does it make the whole draft a failure?
Diggs/Gallimore/Robinson would've really pissed me off in the first 3 rounds, that's for sure.

I do think Chaisson was almost certainly the pick if Lamb was gone, and after that I guess Terrell, which would've sucked.

I'm just glad we were fortunate with how it fell and the front office were wise enough not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
I think that's exactly right. He will get up field. He just needs to refine his pass rush so he can get sacks while disrupting.
He's got to keep his pad level low more often.
He can get worked over at times because he's playing too high.
Fix that, and he'll be really good, against the run & with the pass rush.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I do think Chaisson was almost certainly the pick if Lamb was gone
I think that is the most likely scenario.

So if it's Chaisson, Diggs, Gallimore, Badass, Robinson, Anae, I don't think it's a home run anymore but it's still pretty good.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

There’s probably endless great stories like this around the league.

How about 2016 when Dallas desperately tried to trade back into the first with Seattle to get Paxton Lynch and then after that effort barely failed narrowly lost out on Connor Cook in the 2nd only to strike good in Dak in the 4th round?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think that is the most likely scenario.

So if it's Chaisson, Diggs, Gallimore, Badass, Robinson, Anae, I don't think it's a home run anymore but it's still pretty good.
I think the Lamb pick set everything up. I think we went into that draft wanting a WR somewhere, and just got lucky enough to get Lamb first. If we would have went, say, Chaisson in the first it would have changed everything. I think we would have either went WR in the 2nd or 3rd when everyone was scrambling for one.

Crazy how one thing happening can completely change everything. It was the perfect storm for us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

My concerns with Gallimore are his lack of a clear position at the pro level and lack of time playing the game overall. Some people call him a 3T and others a 1T.

I think he will be at least as good as Maliek Collins, though.

Top Bottom