Cowboys Round 3 (82) Selection - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brugler's analysis on Gallimore:

7. NEVILLE GALLIMORE | Oklahoma 6020 | 304 lbs. | rSR. Ottawa, Ontario (Canada Prep) 1/17/1997 (age 23.27) #90

BACKGROUND: Neville Gallimore, who was born and raised in Ottawa (the capital of Canada) to Jamaican parents, played every sport growing up, especially soccer and basketball. At 11, he started playing football, which soon became his sport of choice as he grew into his body. Gallimore began his prep career at St. Patrick’s High School, but football was a secondary sport in that part of the country, which prompted his transfer to Canada Prep Football Academy for his junior and senior years. The upstart program, located on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls in St. Catharines (over five hours south of Ottawa), plays four-down United States-style rules against American teams. A four-star defensive tackle recruit out of high school, Gallimore received double-digit offers following his junior year at Canada Prep and finished as the No. 11 player at his position in the 2015 recruiting cycle. He also became the first non-American player invited to Nike’s The Opening football camp, which helped him get noticed as a recruit. Gallimore received offers from all the major programs, but leaned toward Florida State, Ohio State and Oklahoma, ultimately choosing the Sooners at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl (making him the first Canadian to compete in that event). His parents, Carlton and Merdiva, were Jamaican farmers before immigrating to Canada in 1995, settling in Eastern Ontario with Gallimore’s two older brothers, Toshoy and Garry, who played professional basketball overseas. Gallimore accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Fluid body type with the lateral range to work up/down the line of scrimmage…quickness to sidestep and cross the face of blockers…violent, powerful hands to create knockback or toss blockers…physical rip, club-swim and push-pull moves to penetrate gaps…bowls over and bullies blockers with his initial surge…elite motor and pursuit skills, frequently chasing down ball carriers 20 yards downfield…moves like a linebacker in space with his ability to drop his hips and smoothly redirect…resets his vision well to locate run lanes…competes like a warrior in games, practice and the weight room…blue collar background and work ethic was instilled in him at a young age…steadily matured as a leader at OU (defensive coordinator Alex Grinch: “When he speaks up, the guys listen to him”). [156]

WEAKNESSES: Eager, forceful hands, but doesn’t always go anywhere…unrefined pass rush sequence and counter moves…spotty snap anticipation and pass rush tends to stall if he doesn’t win with first movement…inconsistent finisher once he reaches the backfield…was part of a steady rotation at Oklahoma, playing 53.7 percent of snaps as a senior…lost 30 pounds prior to his senior year and needs to find his consistent weight…unremarkable production with 18 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks over 52 games and almost 2,000 snaps.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Oklahoma, Gallimore was the nose guard in defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s hybrid 3-3-5 base scheme, lining up everywhere from B-gap to B-gap. Nicknamed the “Canadian Bulldozer,” he will soon become the first Ottawa-born player to take the field in the NFL. Gallimore is an athletic marvel for a 300-plus pounder with the rare motor and violent hands to make plays outside his square. His splash plays are some of the best snaps you will see at the position, but his college production doesn’t match up with his impressive power/athletic traits. Overall, Gallimore isn’t the most technically sound player, but he is an athletic, charged-up big man with the explosive hands to reset the line of scrimmage or pass off blocks on his way to the pocket, projecting as a threetechnique with NFL starting potential.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still love this pick. To me we drafted 3 long term starters in the first 3 rounds. An excellent draft for a team that didn't have like 6 picks in the first two days like some teams.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Instant Analysis: Cowboys' No. 82 pick, Oklahoma DT Neville Gallimore
Todd Brock

The first two rounds of the 2020 NFL Draft could not have gone much better for the Cowboys. In the first round, their sixth-rated player fell in their laps at No. 17 to give the club what is perhaps the most fearsome trio of pass-catchers in franchise history. Friday’s second round allowed the club to address their depleted secondary with a cornerback who could have easily been selected the night before without anyone batting an eye or calling it a reach.

With their third-round pick, the team continued to address their underachieving defense by drafting defensive tackle Neville Gallimore from Oklahoma.

The native Canadian stands 6-foot-2-inches and weighs in at just over 300 pounds. But the big man turned heads at the combine with a 40-yard-dash time of 4.79 seconds, the fastest for a three-bill D-lineman in two decades.
Gallimore’s game improved with each season at Oklahoma; as a senior, he helped lead the Sooners to a Big 12 Championship and earned third-team All-American honors. Now having graduated to the pros, he’ll be tutored in front-line play at the next level from the likes of DeMarcus Lawrence, Dontari Poe, and Gerald McCoy.

Here is what some draft gurus were saying about the newest Dallas Cowboy when he was still just a college prospect.

Dane Brugler | The Athletic
Position rank: 7
Overall rank: 70
“Gallimore is an athletic marvel for a 300-plus pounder with the rare motor and violent hands to make plays outside his square. His splash plays are some of the best snaps you will see at the position, but his college production doesn’t match up with his impressive power/athletic traits. Overall, Gallimore isn’t the most technically sound player, but he is an athletic, charged-up big man with the explosive hands to reset the line of scrimmage or pass off blocks on his way to the pocket, projecting as a three-technique with NFL starting potential.”

Lance Zierlein | NFL.com
Projected: Round 2
Grade: 6.0 – Developmental traits-based prospect
“Flash talent whose tape has moments but fails to fully deliver. Gallimore goes hard from snap to whistle with secondary effort that brings decent production, but his NFL potential may be limited by a lack of leverage and contact balance. Oklahoma had him playing in the gaps but he might be more effective improving his hands and learning to two-gap. Unless he turns the flashes into a finished product, his future may be as a rotation tackle in an even front.”

Mike Renner | Pro Football Focus
Position rank: 6
Overall rank: 51
“For many defensive line schemes in the NFL, the goal is simple: get into the backfield by any means necessary. Gallimore possesses such ability from the nose tackle position. He’s one of the most athletic 300+ pounders in the draft class and can make plays sideline-to-sideline. While his pass-rushing toolbox is only scratching the surface of what it could be, we loved how much he took a step forward in that regard this past season. For a player that still looks like he’s learning the position at times, grading out as well as he did is a great sign.”

Kyle Crabbs | The Draft Network
Position rank: 5
Overall rank: 46
“Neville Gallimore is a disruptive 1T in a penetration style defensive system. Gallimore isn’t necessarily a huge finisher and hasn’t rolled up huge production in the backfield but make no mistake, his initial quickness, power, hand counters and motor will provide plenty of disruption up front for even front teams looking to collapse the pocket and get opposing quarterbacks on their heels. Gallimore has viable three down ability thanks to his short area agility. An NFL starter.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still love this pick. To me we drafted 3 long term starters in the first 3 rounds. An excellent draft for a team that didn't have like 6 picks in the first two days like some teams.
I still dislike this pick. I don't even think the guy will break the starting lineup consistently.

He has next to no body control; just flops around out there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still dislike this pick. I don't even think the guy will break the starting lineup consistently.

He has next to no body control; just flops around out there.
I mean the guy needs some work. If he didn't he would have been a first round pick. But shit he has a super high ceiling and plays every snap hard. Plus he brings high level athletic ability and playing strength. I think his floor is Collins with the ability to be a lot better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean the guy needs some work. If he didn't he would have been a first round pick. But shit he has a super high ceiling and plays every snap hard. Plus he brings high level athletic ability and playing strength. I think his floor is Collins with the ability to be a lot better.
He is a lot like Collins. A tease. It is like Marinelli was still here.

• Angry
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it has to do with consistent effort. I liked both guys though. They both flash great but Elliott has more of a tendancy to disappear in my opinion. I lile Elliotts length better though. He shows more moves as a pass rusher.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've read the Collins comparison and I don't really see that. I thought Collins was a little smaller and quicker, more of a true 3-tech penetrator type. Gallimore is a naturally bigger-bodied guy who only recently has lost some weight and really gotten in shape but could get bigger if you wanted him to. Maybe they're not far off overall, but I think they're different.

But then I also thought Collins was a pretty decent player and a good pick. I don't think Gallimore will be some star either, but I think he can be a good, solid player for several years, which is fine at this point.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I've read the Collins comparison and I don't really see that. I thought Collins was a little smaller and quicker, more of a true 3-tech penetrator type. Gallimore is a naturally bigger-bodied guy who only recently has lost some weight and really gotten in shape but could get bigger if you wanted him to. Maybe they're not far off overall, but I think they're different.

But then I also thought Collins was a pretty decent player and a good pick. I don't think Gallimore will be some star either, but I think he can be a good, solid player for several years, which is fine at this point.
When I brought up Collins, I was referring to his potential. He will hang around for a few years, a few flashes here and there and at the end of it all, he ends up being gone in four years with not much to show for it.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
When I brought up Collins, I was referring to his potential. He will hang around for a few years, a few flashes here and there and at the end of it all, he ends up being gone in four years with not much to show for it.
See, to me that's okay. Not every pick has to be a home run. This guy if nothing else is extremely solid with no character red flags. I'd rather have that than another Hill who has the athletic ability but is an unreliable flake.

I remember when Parcells drafted Hatcher and they asked him why. He said simply, "Because he's 290 and ran a 4.7." Sometimes big and fast is enough at this point when you don't have work ethic or character questions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What might be similar to Collins is size. But also both guys do a great job of getting upfield but fail to finish when they do. The amount of times Collins penetrated and ended up on the ground never making a play was very high from my perspective.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember when Parcells drafted Hatcher and they asked him why. He said simply, "Because he's 290 and ran a 4.7." Sometimes big and fast is enough at this point when you don't have work ethic or character questions.
Yeah you can't teach 305 pounds and s 4.79 forty. The guy is strong too. It's why I think his floor is Collins level play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If the player came out of college not needing any work he wouldn't have lasted to the 3rd round.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Top Bottom