Cowboys Round 1 (17) Selection - CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be shocked if Lamb wasn't at least our second best WR by year 2. The more interesting question is will it be Cooper or Gallup that he supplants?

Cooper is clearly the better overall player but if he continues to be inconsistent and kind of flaky I wouldn't be shocked if Gallup simply becomes the more reliable player, even if not quite as talented.

There's also probably at least a 50/50 chance that Lamb is our best WR by year 2.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be shocked if Lamb wasn't at least our second best WR by year 2. The more interesting question is will it be Cooper or Gallup that he supplants?

Cooper is clearly the better overall player but if he continues to be inconsistent and kind of flaky I wouldn't be shocked if Gallup simply becomes the more reliable player, even if not quite as talented.

There's also probably at least a 50/50 chance that Lamb is our best WR by year 2.
Not sure it matters who supplants who until we need a contract or money freed up. Until then you play all 3 at the same time and make defenses pick their poison. Just shred everyone. You basically can pick your single coverage option and go after it at this point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'll probably regret this, but who is he supplanting? The guy we just paid $20M to?
Uh, maybe Gallup? Possibly as soon as this year.... Lamb can be that good.

And yes I would not rule out him supplanting Cooper eventually. Cooper’s contract has an out after 2-3 years.... if Lamb is a #1 caliber by that time and Cooper has dropped off at all we could easily cut Cooper loose. So that could mean as a third year player at age what, 24? 25? Lamb is a #1 WR and as such wearing #88 would be more traditionally fitting.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Uh, maybe Gallup? Possibly as soon as this year.... Lamb can be that good.

And yes I would not rule out him supplanting Cooper eventually. Cooper’s contract has an out after 2-3 years.... if Lamb is a #1 caliber by that time and Cooper has dropped off at all we could easily cut Cooper loose. So that could mean as a third year player at age what, 24? 25? Lamb is a #1 WR and as such wearing #88 would be more traditionally fitting.
This was my line of thinking when I made my statement. Cooper's contract will eventually expire.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's cool when you're like years removed from the last legendary WR but Dez was on the team 3 years ago, it seems too soon, plus Lamb seemingly didn't really want it.

I'd have just let him roll with whatever he wanted but it's whatever.
Yeah, I agree. Should let it breathe. Its not like the #1 should always wear #88.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think it matters who Lamb supplants but it's definitely something that will be interesting to watch. I don't think it's a coincidence that Cooper's deal has an out the exact same offseason Gallup becomes a FA.

They couldn't afford to lose Cooper as a FA but they don't completely trust him as a clear-cut elite lead number 1 just yet, and I don't blame them.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pretty pathetic by Jerry to force an old, arguably outdated tradition on a player but at least he isn't ruining drafts for us every year anymore.
I doubt it was 'forced' very much. Probably just let him know of the tradition, and how the fans would embrace him even more.

And that it would help the Dallas area endorsements to start rolling in. ~wink wink~

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how long Gallup can hold him off.
The nice thing is Lamb has the best hands of our receiver group. The drops can be a bit frustrating with the other receivers but I think Lamb's reliable hands will help him climb the depth chart. I also think it will help a ton in building trust and security with Dak.

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Question: From what I've seen from all the draft experts, the top WR in this draft was either our guy or Jeudy. If both had been there, which one would you have wanted more?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Lamb 100%, I might've even considered Chaisson over Jeudy, but Lamb was a no brainer.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Question: From what I've seen from all the draft experts, the top WR in this draft was either our guy or Jeudy. If both had been there, which one would you have wanted more?
Lamb was the best most complete receiver in this draft. It has to be him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm probably a little in the minority here but I have the two guys as a tossup. I really like both. But Jeudy may be a bit of a Cooper clone so I'd lean towards Lamb.

Top Bottom