Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jimmy’s face while walking down the sideline says, “choke on every yard of that, motherfuckers.”
The moment of relief when Harper broke into the open field and Summerall said he was off to the races was overwhelming. All the shit about the fucking Catch, all the frustration and cathartic relief just released at once. Never felt that feeling before or since.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You say some of the weirdest shit.
It’s true the 49ers catch by itself was huge, but honestly he was open because they doubled Irvin, not because of anything special he did.

Harper made an occasional circus catch (especially in the limelight) and often would win jump balls.

But you could not rely on him. Maybe it’s because of the kinds of plays they lined him up for, but his catch percentage was consistently below 50%. He was always dropping or somehow missing passes, caught maybe two or three catches per game, and rarely if ever dominated a game. For a first round pick, you’d expect more. So yeah, I call him overrated.

Yeah we all know the famous play, but that guy could have only been considered successful in Dallas where he was surrounded by stars who did almost all the heavy lifting. Irvin, Novacek, Emmitt— all had about double Harper’s catches each year. What 1st round pick takes a back seat like that?

I always felt like K-Mart was more effective based on the opportunities he got. That monster 49ers catch Harper made was great, but it was K-Mart who capped the drive. K-mart broke the Eagles, not Harper. Martin caught 68% of passes targeting him, Harper was over 50% just once.

We overrate Harper because of those three or four long plays he made in the playoffs during his time here. His pedigree demanded he start, but K-Mart had nearly the same number of catches while they were both in Dallas.

I remember John Madden openly speculating that Kevin Williams was on his way to passing Harper on the depth chart.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It’s true the 49ers catch by itself was huge, but honestly he was open because they doubled Irvin, not because of anything special he did.
:lol

Come on, Ravi. You can't be serious.

Do you know how many guys DON'T make that play? Or how many guys are actually afraid to get the ball in those moments?

I'll take Aikman's take on this over yours about that play. To paraphrase, "The ball was supposed to go to Michael but he's running the curl so I said I'm just gonna trust this guy to get across the corner's face and let it go and to his credit he ended up making a huge play".

You are criminally underrating the guy.

Alvin Harper may not have been an elite HOF player, but that guy was a fucking difference-maker and our 90s dynasty isn't the same without him.

In 91, in his rookie season, he catches a Hail Mary just before halftime vs the Redskins in a game that both ended the Redskins undefeated season and catapulted those young Cowboys on a run that would get them into the playoffs.

Alvin Harper is responsible for 2 huge catches in that 92 NFCC with the other being that amazing jump ball catch where he snatches it from in front of Eric Davis' face.

Then he goes on and catches the deep ball TD to seal the Super Bowl away 2 weeks later.

The guy then comes back the following season and makes a memorable TD catch in the divisional vs Green Bay where he lands on his head in the endzone and still holds on.

Then he comes back the next week and catches the dagger in the 93 NFCC.

Then the next year he catches the longest TD pass in Cowboys playoff history against the Packers.

My point? Alvin Harper LIVED for big moments and that's what made him fit that team so perfectly.

Overrated 3rd option? :lol

Shiiiieeeet..... He was THE big play guy of that offense and I don't believe that team is the same without those special skills and traits that he possessed.

Top Bottom