China send 150k troops to North Korean border....

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Except by any measurable metric he's doing worse than any modern day president. Historically low approval ratings, an NSA forced to resign weeks into the job, a criminal investigation by the FBI, failed healthcare bill, lies upon lies upon lies upon lies, absurd number of golf weekends at taxpayer expense, unstaffed administration. All of this inside what should be the honeymoon period.

Any unbiased opinion would see this guy doesn't have any upside whatsoever.
A "criminal" investigation? I am aware of an investigation regarding possible involvement with Russian intervention in the election process but certainly not specifically targeting Trump or criminal implications. You will need to document that for me. There is no Failed healthcare bill because none has ever gotten to the floor to be voted on.

Lies upon lies is a generality. You will need to be more specific.

Too many trips to Florida yes but some have been for business as well.

NSA resignation yes but there is more to be known about this.

You are reaching to the point of exegarrating on some of this but as I indicated you cannot be objective.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I dig the data but I think that the conclusion they drew was faulty. It sounds like they're saying Trump picking up a few extra votes than Romney is a trend. When I think it's pretty obvious that it's part of the cyclical nature of the political landscape.

There's a natural ebb and flow to politics. 2008 was the high water mark for democrats, a "hope and change" candidate is going to experience some natural decline in popularity from his initial election to his reelection bid. Especially after an extremely controversial policy like ACA. There also wasnt a big novelty of voting for the first black president attached to it, which probably drew a lot of non-voters to the polls in 08.

It looks like mostly people are drawing a line from when Democrats had their most viable charismatic candidate and the Republicans their least to when the Republican base was energized by an outsider, and democrats ran a deeply uncharismatic and unpopular woman against him.

I'm saying this was the GOPs high water mark, and its pretty damn low. Now inside those ups and downs we can see strong trends, young people are much more liberal, and don't seem to be on course to change (unlike boomers that settled down and started voting for whoever the televangelist told them to.) I can't guarantee that GOP never has a big election again, but I guarantee they're going to need upset years like 2016 to get them.
Republicans weren't energized by Trump. If anything he split the base.

And if you're counting on passionately left-wing young people to remain passionately left-wing, you're going to have a bad time. I was a passionately left-wing twentysomething myself.

townsend

Banned

And if you're counting on passionately left-wing young people to remain passionately left-wing, you're going to have a bad time. I was a passionately left-wing twentysomething myself.
Trump voters still turned out in force. Partly because they wanted that SCOTUS nom, and would have elected Saddam Hussein if it had kept Garland off the bench. But I think there was definitely a large base of voters that were energized by Trump's dumb rhetoric.

I don't think they need to be passionately left wing, just anything other than a right wing extremist. Young people aren't going to change their views on abortion, gay marriage, the war on drugs, or climate change. Republicans have painted themselves into a corner.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Wasn't it Churchill who said if you're under 40 and aren't a liberal you don't have a heart, and if you're over 40 and aren't a conservative you don't have a brain?

Hate to tell Townsend but people's beliefs do change as they get older. Shocking to think you don't know everything at your age, but odds are you really don't.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wasn't it Churchill who said if you're under 40 and aren't a liberal you don't have a heart, and if you're over 40 and aren't a conservative you don't have a brain?

Hate to tell Townsend but people's beliefs do change as they get older. Shocking to think you don't know everything at your age, but odds are you really don't.
Odds and presentation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I have actually gotten a bit more liberal on certain issues the older I have gotten. But, keep in mind, I was raised in small town east Texas in a Baptist preacher's home, so I started pretty damn far on the right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have actually gotten a bit more liberal on certain issues the older I have gotten. But, keep in mind, I was raised in small town east Texas in a Baptist preacher's home, so I started pretty damn far on the right.
Guess the only way for you to go from the right is wrong.

Cotton

Staff member
Guess the only way for you to go from the right is wrong.
I am in no way liberal on really any issue. I have just moved towards the middle on some issues. Our involvement in other country's business is one.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am in no way liberal on really any issue. I have just moved towards the middle on some issues. Our involvement in other country's business is one.
I am pretty much the same. Being the worlds conscientious, policeman and provider is a very faulted philosophy.

Cotton

Staff member
I am pretty much the same. Being the worlds conscientious, policeman and provider is a very faulted philosophy.
And, a very expensive philosophy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd wager to guess that most of us when we were in grade school wanted to end world hunger, end poverty, give everyone free healthcare and a place to live.

townsend

Banned
I'd wager to guess that most of us when we were in grade school wanted to end world hunger, end poverty, give everyone free healthcare and a place to live.
Except liberals are the people who are most highly educated at this point. It's college drop outs that are the conservative base in 2017.

Republicans are the "emotion" party of the 21st century, that's why the scientific establishment leans heavily democrat, and the republicans are trying to teach the book of Genesis in science class.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Except liberals are the people who are most highly educated at this point. It's college drop outs that are the conservative base in 2017.

Republicans are the "emotion" party of the 21st century, that's why the scientific establishment leans heavily democrat, and the republicans are trying to teach the book of Genesis in science class.
Actually Liberals tend to be the poor. And they also hold an advantage with women and minorities. For example people who make less than $15,000.00 annually are 63% democrat. Right around an income of $50,000.00 annually is when that advantage flips from Democrat to Republican. I would think the higher earners in America would be those with educations.

Democrats also hold an advantage with the really uneducated. Meaning people who don't obtain a highschool diploma lean toward the Democratic Party. Republicans gain a majority of support from high school graduates, individuals with some college experience, and college graduates.

https://www.debt.org/faqs/americans-in-debt/economic-demographics-democrats/

Cotton

Staff member

Just because someone went to college doesn't mean they are more educated. And, it definitely doesn't ensure they have common sense because that isn't learned.

townsend

Banned
Actually Liberals tend to be the poor. And they also hold an advantage with women and minorities. For example people who make less than $15,000.00 annually are 63% democrat. Right around an income of $50,000.00 annually is when that advantage flips from Democrat to Republican. I would think the higher earners in America would be those with educations.

Democrats also hold an advantage with the really uneducated. Meaning people who don't obtain a highschool diploma lean toward the Democratic Party. Republicans gain a majority of support from high school graduates, individuals with some college experience, and college graduates.

https://www.debt.org/faqs/americans-in-debt/economic-demographics-democrats/
More money = More educated is an oversimplification. Older people make more money, whites make more money, Men make more money. That's a high concentration of the three big predictors for whether you vote Republican.

At least in this election Hillary had an advantage among college graduates. Of course she's way closer to a traditional Republican than Trump. But that's the point. Republicans have no interest in the traditional candidates that cerebral republicans would vote for. The Tea Party movement has turned the GOP into an anti-intellectual fringe right wing party.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
More money = More educated is an oversimplification. Older people make more money, whites make more money, Men make more money. That's a high concentration of the three big predictors for whether you vote Republican.
True, but you ignore that money is probably the biggest driving factor and not education level. People with a strong income lean towards Republicans and people without it tend to lean Democrat. Not really surprising, people act in their own best interest. A recent college grad who makes nothing and is struggling to find a job and health insurance is going to support the Democratic party. 10 years from now when he is making $80,000 + annually he becomes a Republican.

townsend

Banned
True, but you ignore that money is probably the biggest driving factor and not education level. People with a strong income lean towards Republicans and people without it tend to lean Democrat. Not really surprising, people act in their own best interest. A recent college grad who makes nothing and is struggling to find a job and health insurance is going to support the Democratic party. 10 years from now when he is making $80,000 + annually he becomes a Republican.
I think there's something there. I think that's precisely what changed hippies to yuppies. But I think the absolute best predictor for your political alignment is location. City people vote democrat country people vote republican.

First Trump got elected on the strength of rural economic despair. Young people may find high paying jobs, but almost exclusively in cities. That means millennial earners are probably going to be more like the people working in Silicon Valley, than your typical 80s yuppie.

townsend

Banned
Speaking of Silicon Valley. Tech will be providing a huge number of good paying jobs for millennials. How does the party that repealed internet privacy protections, is trying to end net neutrality, and was the party trying to push SOPA gonna sell itself as being in millennials best interest?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So this thread ended up not being useless?

Something about lucky and good.

Top Bottom