China send 150k troops to North Korean border....

townsend

Banned

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:shock

Looks like all public speakers say dumb things, even Lord Obama.

townsend

Banned
:shock

Looks like all public speakers say dumb things, even Lord Obama.

This is true. Anyone can have dumb sound bytes. The problem with Trump is he hasn't ever demonstrated that he even has a layman's understanding of foreign policy.

It's been said before but Trump has always had these word salads that sound like a kid giving a book report based on the title. "Grapes of wrath is a really great book, lots of wrath, very emotional, liked the grapes."

So when he makes these goofs they're a lot more unsettling because it doesn't seem like a regular brain fart like Gary Johnson had about Aleppo, it seems like he can't access that information because he never learned it in the first place.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is true. Anyone can have dumb sound bytes. The problem with Trump is he hasn't ever demonstrated that he even has a layman's understanding of foreign policy.

It's been said before but Trump has always had these word salads that sound like a kid giving a book report based on the title. "Grapes of wrath is a really great book, lots of wrath, very emotional, liked the grapes."

So when he makes these goofs they're a lot more unsettling because it doesn't seem like a regular brain fart like Gary Johnson had about Aleppo, it seems like he can't access that information because he never learned it in the first place.
Yes he embellishes statements with excessive adjectives but that at best can only irritate. But this is harmless.

townsend

Banned
Yes he embellishes statements with excessive adjectives but that at best can only irritate. But this is harmless.
It's not the embellishment that's the problem. It's the lack of substance. I don't mind a tall hat if you have the cattle to back it up. The problem is that every time Trump has been forced to speak on foreign policy he's yet to show even a glimmer of knowledge. So he just repeats a word "Mosul", "Nuclear","ISIS", "The Generals" until they let him off the hook. Add to that his complete disinterest in intelligence briefings and special forces ops (he was tweeting during that botched Yemen raid, and was not even in the sitroom.) and you have a willfully ignorant commander in chief.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's not the embellishment that's the problem. It's the lack of substance. I don't mind a tall hat if you have the cattle to back it up. The problem is that every time Trump has been forced to speak on foreign policy he's yet to show even a glimmer of knowledge. So he just repeats a word "Mosul", "Nuclear","ISIS", "The Generals" until they let him off the hook. Add to that his complete disinterest in intelligence briefings and special forces ops (he was tweeting during that botched Yemen raid, and was not even in the sitroom.) and you have a willfully ignorant commander in chief.
First of all I hope you realize that all Commanders and Chiefs are ignorant of world affairs initially. Do you really think any go into the position fully aware of global strategies? And secondly the Trump style of dialogue is a personal thing with you. He campaigned with it, he has had that style for years and it didn't bother enough people so as not to get elected. Chances are great it will continue and you will continue to be irritated but it's likely here to stay. By the way you are presenting circumstances at the onset of his tenure and it's only been 3. Months so he has been pretty retrenched with his duties as Commander and Chief. It also displays that the heads of the various agencies are doing what they were appointed to do.

townsend

Banned
First of all I hope you realize that all Commanders and Chiefs are ignorant of world affairs initially. Do you really think any go into the position fully aware of global strategies? And secondly the Trump style of dialogue is a personal thing with you. He campaigned with it, he has had that style for years and it didn't bother enough people so as not to get elected. Chances are great it will continue and you will continue to be irritated but it's likely here to stay. By the way you are presenting circumstances at the onset of his tenure and it's only been 3. Months so he has been pretty retrenched with his duties as Commander and Chief. It also displays that the heads of the various agencies are doing what they were appointed to do.
It depends on the candidate. George HW has forgotten more than most presidents will ever know about foreign policy. Hillary had more world leaders in her rolodex than Trump could name, and actually ran a state dept, whereas Trump can't even come up with enough nominations to allow his state dept to run on more than a skeleton crew (which is why his wholly unqualified son in law has been forced to take on so much responsibility.)

During the republican primary Rubio demonstrated he had a pretty good grasp of foreign policy and humiliated Trump who had no idea what the nuclear triad was. Romney, who was on the short list for Secretary of State, had been prescient during his presidential campaign by predicting that Russia would become a major threat.

Guys like Ronny, Jimmy, and Bill came into office with much less grasp of foreign policy (although Carter at least had military service on his side) But they at least had assembled fairly strong cabinets. Trump's not just ignorant, worse he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Which is why he thinks he "Knows more than the generals", and why he can't fill in a decent cabinet (once again he is horrendously unacceptably delinquent on nominations) and he can only cobble together a brain trust of a handful of sycophants, relatives, and right wing propagandists (or some combination of the three)

You mentioned when you were stumping for this loser that you thought he could assemble a group of experts to advise him, were you thinking it would be his son in law, his daughter, and some Breitbart columnists?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I guess I see it another way. Trump said this, Trumo said that, he's an asshole, he thinks more than himself than he should...all true things. Now, what is his administration going to actually do? To me, that is the key. A lot of what he said is unfortunate, but I had low expectations for that. I knew he was a public duffos going into this deal. I'm only concerned with policy and action at this point. I'm well familiar with what he isn't.

It is really up to his cabinet and the team that he built, along with the cooperation/ability of the rest of Washington to get it done.

What and see...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It depends on the candidate. George HW has forgotten more than most presidents will ever know about foreign policy. Hillary had more world leaders in her rolodex than Trump could name, and actually ran a state dept, whereas Trump can't even come up with enough nominations to allow his state dept to run on more than a skeleton crew (which is why his wholly unqualified son in law has been forced to take on so much responsibility.)
During the republican primary Rubio demonstrated he had a pretty good grasp of foreign policy and humiliated Trump who had no idea what the nuclear triad was. Romney, who was on the short list for Secretary of State, had been prescient during his presidential campaign by predicting that Russia would become a major threat.

Guys like Ronny, Jimmy, and Bill came into office with much less grasp of foreign policy (although Carter at least had military service on his side) But they at least had assembled fairly strong cabinets. Trump's not just ignorant, worse he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Which is why he thinks he "Knows more than the generals", and why he can't fill in a decent cabinet (once again he is horrendously unacceptably delinquent on nominations) and he can only cobble together a brain trust of a handful of sycophants, relatives, and right wing propagandists (or some combination of the three)

You mentioned when you were stumping for this loser that you thought he could assemble a group of experts to advise him, were you thinking it would be his son in law, his daughter, and some Breitbart columnists?

You are being absurd again . None of his family hold cabinet positions. Why do you make these type statements other than to be intentionally nasty. It lends nothing to the credibility of your comments.

townsend

Banned
You are being absurd again . None of his family hold cabinet positions. Why do you make these type statements other than to be intentionally nasty. It lends nothing to the credibility of your comments.
His top advisors are not in his cabinet. How many times do you think he talks to Ben Carson or Rick Perry, compared to Jared Kushner. Keep in mind that Kushner and Bannon have the power to veto the National Security Advisor.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-national-security-mcmaster-overrule-236065

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
His top advisors are not in his cabinet. How many times do you think he talks to Ben Carson or Rick Perry, compared to Jared Kushner. Keep in mind that Kushner and Bannon have the power to veto the National Security Advisor.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-national-security-mcmaster-overrule-236065
The advisors don't make the decisions. They are there for input to the President but he or the agency head makes the decisions. The Secretary of Defense is an example. He calls the shots for the military because Trump has given him that authority. None of the advisors can come between the Secretary and his authority to manage and run the military. I feel the other members have similiar arrangements. I also think is is almost comical that you would think Trump would allow family members to oversee the cabinet.

townsend

Banned
The advisors don't make the decisions. They are there for input to the President but he or the agency head makes the decisions. The Secretary of Defense is an example. He calls the shots for the military because Trump has given him that authority. None of the advisors can come between the Secretary and his authority to manage and run the military. I feel the other members have similiar arrangements. I also think is is almost comical that you would think Trump would allow family members to oversee the cabinet.
HR McMaster wanted to fire a member of his own department. Ezra Cohen-Watnick appealed to Bannon and Kushner. They advised Trump. Trump overrides Lt. General McMasters decision to fire a 30 year old nobody, on the advice of a right wing news troll, and a real estate developer.

This is clear cut. In a matter of National Security Trumo took the advice of his desperately unqualified advisors over an active duty general and nationals security advisor. There's no way else to spin that.

townsend

Banned
More on how Trump lies impact our national security:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/false-narrative-on-u-s-aircraft-carrier-elicits-jeers-in-asia-1492577625

‘Duped by Trump’: U.S. Taunted Over Aircraft Carrier Tale

The revelation that the Pentagon didn’t send the USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier, as U.S. officials had said, directly toward North Korea as a stern message to Pyongyang over its nuclear and missile programs sparked ridicule in some corners of Asia and wariness in others.

In North Korea, the U.S. Navy’s admission that the Carl Vinson was actually thousands of miles away on exercises off Australia’s coast and won’t arrive at the Korean Peninsula until next week prompted the state-run news service to say Washington “now bluffs that it was a ‘warning’ act” against the country.

In South Korea, Hong Joon-pyo, the presidential candidate from former​ leader Park Geun-hye’s ruling party, said it was inappropriate to judge before receiving final confirmation of the Carl Vinson’s whereabouts. But, in an interview, he said: “What [President Donald Trump] said was very important for the national security of South Korea. If that was a lie, then during Trump’s term, South Korea will not trust whatever Trump says.”​

​He also said that, in light of Mr. Trump’s recent military strikes on Syria and ​Afghanistan, “it seems to me that Trump is a person who takes responsibility and action based on what he says.”

In China, the false Carl Vinson narrative prompted some jibes on social and news media. Some were directed at foreign media and others at the Trump administration’s attempt to block Pyongyang from developing the capability of launching a nuclear-armed missile to the U.S. mainland.

“If the U.S. announcement on the Carl Vinson’s deployment to the Korean Peninsula is merely bluster and verbal games, then Trump’s approach to North Korea would fade into an Obama rerun,” a user named Wang Yingrun wrote on his verified Weibo microblog. Without the resolve to use military strength, he wrote, “Fatty the Third”—a Chinese nickname for North Korean leader Kim Jong Un —“will never return to dialogue.”

Chinese news portal Guancha.cn declared: “Media around the entire world have been duped by Trump again!” The Global Times, a nationalistic tabloid, took that observation a step further, saying American, South Korean and Japanese media had committed a “major screw-up.”

Ni Lexiong, a Shanghai-based commentator on military affairs, said Mr. Trump appeared to use claims of the Carl Vinson’s deployment as a feint in trying to dissuade North Korea from conducting a nuclear test.

“Trump and the media jointly performed a modern-day ‘Empty Fort Strategy,’ ” Mr. Ni wrote on his Weibo microblog, referring to a reverse-psychology ploy described in the ancient Chinese military treatise, “Thirty-Six Stratagems.”

A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman declined to comment on the Carl Vinson, only saying that Beijing is in close contact with the U.S. and that all sides should de-escalate tensions. “We don’t want to see any conflict,” he said.

In Japan, Prof. Narushige Michishita of the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies said regardless of whether the U.S. intended to deceive or the narrative was a miscommunication, it looked bad for the White House.

“At a time of emergency, disinformation could be used as a tactic, but if the U.S. president spreads disinformation in peacetime like now, it would hurt the credibility of the U.S.,” he said.

During a trip to Japan, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday visited the USS Ronald Reagan, the only American aircraft carrier permanently stationed abroad. Mr. Pence didn’t refer to the Carl Vinson in a speech he made on the ship’s deck to mainly U.S. military members. But he thanked the Ronald Reagan’s crew ahead of what he called their “imminent deployment.”

The carrier, based at the Yokosuka port, just south of Tokyo, is currently undergoing maintenance and will likely head out of port in the next few weeks, U.S. Navy officials said. They declined to discuss its planned movements.

Mr. Pence also repeated warnings to North Korea against challenging Mr. Trump, saying any use of military force would be met with an overwhelming response. He said the U.S. would continue to use economic and diplomatic pressure against Pyongyang.

The Carl Vinson incident was barely reported on by the Japanese media. Japan’s Defense Ministry declined to comment. Chief cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, the top Japanese government spokesman, declined to comment on the Vinson, but said “the Japanese government appreciates that the U.S. is taking the position that every single option is on the table” in respect to North Korea’s threat.

The U.S. Pacific Command on Tuesday said the Vinson is now heading toward the Western Pacific as ordered after a shortened training exercise with the Australian Navy. The statement described the move as a “prudent measure.”​​

—Chieko Tsuneoka in Tokyo and Eva Dou in Beijing
contributed to this article.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
HR McMaster wanted to fire a member of his own department. Ezra Cohen-Watnick appealed to Bannon and Kushner. They advised Trump. Trump overrides Lt. General McMasters decision to fire a 30 year old nobody, on the advice of a right wing news troll, and a real estate developer.

This is clear cut. In a matter of National Security Trumo took the advice of his desperately unqualified advisors over an active duty general and nationals security advisor. There's no way else to spin that.
If you have the particulars of the incident then I might give an opinion but all you have presented is that his advisors apparently had him override a decision by a cabinet member. Isn't that the reason you have advisors? Maybe it was a good thing or a bad thing but without knowing the circumstances I can't really comment on it as to appropriateness.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What if you eat a bullet? Will you still be hungry?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What if you eat a bullet? Will you still be hungry?
If Bipo buys a car for himself or donates to a message board... isn't he stealing from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed?

Top Bottom