49ers Stuff.....

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys need these five things to defeat the 49ers on Sunday in the wild-card round

ARLINGTON, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 14: Trevon Diggs #7 of the Dallas Cowboys celebrates after intercepting the ball against the Atlanta Falcons during the third quarter at AT&T Stadium on November 14, 2021 in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota 28m ago

For this first time in five years, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy is back in the playoffs.

“It’s been five years,” McCarthy responded when told of that fact this week. “Is that right? Wow.

“I never had any doubts (I’d get back). I feel like this is where I belong. I know this is where we belong.”

McCarthy, who went to the playoffs eight years in a row (2009-2016) as Packers head coach, is hoping the atmosphere inside AT&T Stadium for Sunday’s wild-card game against the San Francisco 49ers will be similar to how it’s been all season.

“Our crowds have been great,” he said. “Just the energy, and I know that will be there. Love the white towels. That’s always a good thing. Just don’t want to see a lot of the other team, the other fans. That would be a preference. AT&T’s been rocking, and frankly, we have a big responsibility to that ourselves. We need to get out there and get going fast and get the crowd into the game.

“This is going to be a great afternoon.”

The Cowboys are asking fans to wear white Sunday. There’s expected to be at least some 49ers red. There was a significant amount of red in the crowd for San Francisco’s first game at AT&T Stadium, the 2014 season opener.

Is Jerry Jones worried about that happening again?

“When you have the stadium the size we have, which is easily the highest-attended stadium in the NFL,” the Cowboys owner said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan, “you’re going to have opposing jerseys in there, opposing fans, opposing color. I welcome it. I think it’s a great atmosphere.

“It will be a Cowboys home game. There’s no question, home playoff game. And it will be roaring.”

Jones added that he’s working to get the standing-room-only number increased so the overall attendance could approach 100,000. Dallas’ last home playoff game, Jan. 5, 2019, against the Seattle Seahawks, had an announced attendance of 94,327.

Despite the 49ers being the sixth seed at 10-7, this will be far from an easy matchup for the No. 3-seed Cowboys. This San Francisco team is much more like the one that went to the Super Bowl, and nearly beat the Kansas City Chiefs, two years ago than the group the Cowboys beat 41-33 last season as Andy Dalton battled Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard.

For the Cowboys to get their first playoff win since defeating the Seahawks in that 2018 wild-card round, they need these five things.

1. Dak Prescott to play well

In his three career playoff starts, Dak Prescott has completed 64 percent of his passes for an average of 265 yards per game with five touchdowns, two interceptions and two rushing touchdowns. If he can play at that level or above, Dallas will be in good shape. The biggest thing is he must take care of the ball. San Francisco’s secondary somewhat resembles the Cowboys’ of previous seasons with its lack of interceptions. The 49ers defensive backs combined for six picks. The team totaled nine, so two fewer than Pro Bowl cornerback Trevon Diggs had for Dallas. San Francisco safety Jimmie Ward led the team with two. Veteran cornerback Josh Norman was among the league leaders with seven forced fumbles.

In Prescott’s past four games, he has thrown 13 touchdowns with no interceptions, but he has lost two fumbles. Keeping him clean in the pocket will also be critical with game-changers up front such as Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and Arden Key.

“I’m excited for Dak,” McCarthy said. “You can’t deny where he was last year and coming back the way he has, he’s the true leader of our football team. But in the same breath, I want him to go out there, and I know he will, compete and have fun and everything will be attainable. We just got to play to our strengths and stay true to that. And he’s obviously a huge part of it.”

Dak Prescott (Tommy Gilligan / USA Today)

2. Some variety in the run game

Dallas’ ground attack can’t just be the basic between-the-tackles touches we saw against the Arizona Cardinals two weeks ago. San Francisco will shut that down just like the Cardinals, Raiders and Broncos did. In eight of the 49ers’ past nine games, they have held their opponents to fewer than 100 yards on the ground.

For the Cowboys, that could mean more touches for Tony Pollard to the outside. That could mean more runs by Prescott. That could mean getting wide receiver CeeDee Lamb some carries. That could mean more backfields that include Pollard and Ezekiel Elliott. Maybe they will bring back the play that worked so well at the end of the Carolina game in Week 4 when Elliott pitched to Pollard.

“I feel like we’re making steps, we’re making progress,” Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said of their run game. “I feel like we’re excited with where we’re going with the opportunities we have. Obviously, getting Tony back in there will be big for us. We will continue to play Zeke, Tony, Corey (Clement) when we need. We feel very comfortable where we’re going.”

3. Contain the run

Dallas’ run defense can’t look like it did in the first half against the Eagles, allowing backups to go for 94 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries. It certainly can’t look like it did against Denver in Week 9 (190 yards).

San Francisco gets it done in a variety of ways, whether it’s traditional running back Elijah Mitchell or star wide receiver Deebo Samuel, who averages nearly four rushes per game. Samuel also leads the team with eight rushing touchdowns.

In the 49ers’ past 11 games, their three losses came to the only three teams that held them under 100 yards rushing: Titans, Seahawks and Cardinals.

“I think it’s the motions and shifts also that go along with (a physical running style) that may challenge you on your leverage more than anything else,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said of the 49ers’ running game. “A tight-end motion, a shift, a receiver in the backfield, challenging you on your leverage and I think that’s one of the things that their offense does well.

“Clearly, they’ve got a lot of explosive plays both in the run and off the play pass, but when you marry up the two things together, the run and the play pass and they look alike, that’s when you can get a linebacker or safety to step up and they’ll try to rip one behind you. So system wise that balance that they have of run and play pass makes them unique.”

4. Take the ball away

It has to continue on the pace it did for most of the season. The defense is much improved, but to be elite in the playoffs, the Cowboys have to take away the ball at least once and probably multiple times per game. No team was better during the regular season than the Cowboys, who averaged two per game. San Francisco was at the bottom half in the league at taking care of the ball, turning it over 24 times, most of any NFC playoff team.

The 49ers were 2-6 in games when they turned the ball over two or more times. They were 5-0 when they didn’t turn it over and 3-1 when they turned it over once.

And particularly for the Cowboys playing at home, it’s bigger than just getting the ball back to their offense. Those momentum-changing plays ignite the crowd.

Quinn said this week that the two things he’s most proud of about this defensive group are the way the players have connected as teammates, playing for each other and how they’ve taken the ball away so consistently.

“I just think as they’re building together, we’re going to continue to see the improvement,” Quinn said. “That’s why I’m excited about where they’re at and where we’re headed.”

Greg Zuerlein (Geoff Burke / USA Today)

5. Don’t be a disaster in the kicking game

Cowboys kicker Greg Zuerlein missed a career-high six extra points this season, including one last Saturday night in Philadelphia. The 10-year veteran has also missed six field goals, however, three have come from 50-plus yards.

Jones said Tuesday that Zuerlein’s struggles have “absolutely” altered Dallas’ game plan. He also added that if there was a better alternative, that kicker would be on the roster.

“We’re well aware and we should be aware,” Jones said. “That’s part of running the show. But Zuerlein really brings a lot to the table. His leg strength, his touchbacks, his ability to be a threat at length, distance, all of that is there. He has had an exceptionally tough year for him with extra points, but he’s a sound kicker, an experienced kicker and our guys are all sensitive about how to approach the game.”

Playoff games are too closely contested to think a team isn’t in trouble if its kicker is missing makeable kicks and extra points.
Special-teams coordinator John Fassel said he thinks Zuerlein’s issue is psychological, adding that they are working on something this week to help him.

“He doesn’t want to perform for himself, he wants to make kicks to help the team,” Fassel said. “He feels the pressure. That’s part of my job, too, is to not put more on him. You know, ‘Your job is on the line. The season is on the line.’ I don’t think that helps because I think he knows that.

“Part of it is, ‘Hey, man, get back there.’ Have the mindset of, ‘I’m going to poke this sucker, and it’s going to go right down the pipe. I’m not going to aim. I’m not going to guide it. I’m not going to overthink it. The team needs me, so I’ve got to get this done.’ I think that’s where we’ll find Greg at on Sunday.”

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It’s obviously playoff time at your pad. Who’s back I got? I have yours, sir.

Well done.
One of the stupidest commercials I've seen in a while.

But with that, we've added baby back ribs to the Sunday menu.

Cotton

Staff member

Samuel and Bosa are the two players on this team that scare me the most.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more the week goes on, the more concerned I am about this game.
I'm actually excited for this game. I hope I don't regret it. Playoff football just brings an excitement with it unlike the regular season. We are the better team and we should come out and show it.

Cotton

Staff member

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This isn't very schemed, it's just a stunt between the two DT's.

If the Niners are actually "defined" in terms of their coverages I think Dak will feast. As has been discussed it seems he's most off his game when he's being faced with exotic looks.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
The more the week goes on, the more concerned I am about this game.
I'm actually feeling better about it for some reason. No doubt they'll be a tough out, though.

Top Bottom