49ers Stuff.....

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's what I've been saying, if we show up and play well (let's say 85-90% of our ceiling) we'll probably win by 10-14. If we come out sleepwalking like against Arizona it's probably a toss-up/slight Niners lean.
Yep, that's why I'm feeling better the closer we get. The Niners are very good and they've improved later in the year, which is a concern. Their defense is very solid and Deebo is one of the more beastly players in the league.

But I think the Garrett years have made me too wary. For some reason I have a feeling we come out ready to roll more like the 2009 Eagles home playoff game and play really well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep, that's why I'm feeling better the closer we get. The Niners are very good and they've improved later in the year, which is a concern. Their defense is very solid and Deebo is one of the more beastly players in the league.

But I think the Garrett years have made me too wary. For some reason I have a feeling we come out ready to roll more like the 2009 Eagles home playoff game and play really well.
Man, I hope you're right.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Because of how last week's game went everybody is talking about how amazing the Niners turnaround has been, fawning all over Deebo, etc., but what people forget is that they were down 17-0 before the Rams went into a little bit of a shell. They didn't come out and dominate so much as they made a furious comeback after getting down big and ended up winning a 50/50 coin flip against a team that they haven't lost to in about 3 years.

And the Rams aren't some juggernaut as the media would have you believe, they were lucky to beat the Ravens backup QB the week before and barely beat the middling Seahawks at home a week or two before that thanks to a completely ridiculous non-PI call late in the 4th.

My point is that while the Niners are definitely a very good team, the narrative has started to take on a life of it's own at this point based on the drama of last week.

They have stars, and their running design is definitely one of the best in the league, but they have some pretty glaring holes (pass defense and OL in pass pro) that are being glossed over in favor of hyping up their strengths.

It's basically a perfect example of how drastically the NFL narrative pendulum swings week to week (fueled by the media), and it often gets to it's most fevered pitch right before a let down game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Agree again.

This reminds me a little bit of how every year, like clockwork, people start picking the first round playoff winners to upset the top seeds on bye just because they're fresh off watching the lower seed win a game while the top seeds weren't on the field. But that 1 or 2 (in the past) seed usually wins fairly comfortably.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I really think we're gonna come out pumped and ready to put the AZ game behind us. Home crowd's gonna be roaring and wearing the white-out look. Only thing that concerns me defensively is stopping their strong run game, particularly up the middle if they establish it.
If Dak has a good (or average) game I think we can score enough to outrun them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Niners have this reputation as bullies (which is good for us because it'll make sure the defense is locked in) but their OL is actually kind of shit.

Trent Williams is still awesome, but he's older and banged up like Tyron, and the rest of the group is middling. Alex Mack is 36 and his best days are way behind him, Laken Tomlinson and Daniel Brunskill are JAG's, and their RT is a backup journeyman with McGlinchey out.

Samuel and Kittle are really tough after the catch obviously, which adds to this "bully" mystique, but their running game in particular is almost all scheme and not overwhelming personnel.

If our coaches are on their shit and able to match wits in the running game we'll shut down their offense and most likely make Garoppolo look like shit.
I was alluding earlier to Quinn having strong familiarity with Shanahan’s system and perhaps how best to attack and thwart that run game. And get Garrapolo on his ass.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Because of how last week's game went everybody is talking about how amazing the Niners turnaround has been, fawning all over Deebo, etc., but what people forget is that they were down 17-0 before the Rams went into a little bit of a shell. They didn't come out and dominate so much as they made a furious comeback after getting down big and ended up winning a 50/50 coin flip against a team that they haven't lost to in about 3 years.

And the Rams aren't some juggernaut as the media would have you believe, they were lucky to beat the Ravens backup QB the week before and barely beat the middling Seahawks at home a week or two before that thanks to a completely ridiculous non-PI call late in the 4th.

My point is that while the Niners are definitely a very good team, the narrative has started to take on a life of it's own at this point based on the drama of last week.

They have stars, and their running design is definitely one of the best in the league, but they have some pretty glaring holes (pass defense and OL in pass pro) that are being glossed over in favor of hyping up their strengths.

It's basically a perfect example of how drastically the NFL narrative pendulum swings week to week (fueled by the media), and it often gets to it's most fevered pitch right before a let down game.

I understand all that, but what about us? We haven't played what I'd consider a good game against a good team since the Patriots game.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I understand all that, but what about us? We haven't played what I'd consider a good game against a good team since the Patriots game.
I admit some of this is hope, but it can't help that the team has known it had this division wrapped up for many weeks now. That can't be good for maximum effort and preparation.

I don't think that explains Dak being off, but maybe the last game will help him even though it was against scrubs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My big thing is that the healthiest they have been all year is this week.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A complete game?

Probably not, but I'd say the offense played well against the Raiders, all things considered, and the defense played really well against the Chiefs, and were fine against the Cardinals considering how the game went.

They also haven't had that many games against "good" teams since the Patriots, really just the Chiefs, Cardinals and maybe Raiders, so it is what it is.

Part of it is hope or projection like Chocolate Lab said, I certainly think having the division wrapped up with basically 6 weeks to go had an impact on their level of motivation/desperation, there's no way of knowing if that's true obviously but I do think it's the case. But mostly I just think playing at home with the urgency of a playoff game against a team that is being really hyped (particularly as a physical "bully") will result in one of our better performances of the year, and against a team that is more flawed than people realize I think it's a good recipe for a win, perhaps even a comfortable win.

Everybody knows this team does better when they're on the opposite end of the hype machine, and that's the case right now, and considering the highs I've seen them reach throughout the season I like our chances.

Top Bottom