2023 Season | Week 18 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Commanders | 1/7/2024

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Assuming Tyron retires, this is exactly what I would do. Bass to LG, Tyler to LT. Some serious power to run behind on the left side.

I meant on the right side to replace Steele. I doubt Tyron retires. If he does, then yeah definitely Tyler to LT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Ideally a guard with position flex ala Steve Avila is what I would be looking for.
A guard who can also play center or a guard who could also be a LT?

There are way more guys who played LT in college who project to OG in the NFL than guys who look like they have G/C versatility.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant on the right side to replace Steele. I doubt Tyron retires. If he does, then yeah definitely Tyler to LT.
Never thought about Tyler at RT.

Steele definitely concerns me. But I think Tyler is an elite enough player that he deserves to play one position for the next 10 years. To me that position is LT. I don't love the idea of playing him at LG, than RT and knowing that eventually he is going to play LT.

Tyron's contract is up after this season. I'm not sure what he will decide to do. Although I doubt the guy wants to play anywhere else at this point in his career. I'll admit he has played better and more games this year than I thought he would.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
But I think Tyler is an elite enough player that he deserves to play one position for the next 10 years. To me that position is LT. I don't love the idea of playing him at LG, than RT and knowing that eventually he is going to play LT.

I worried about that last year but I think he proved he can handle it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's a late 5th rounder that has never played any significant snaps against actual starting caliber NFL Dlineman. Until we actually see how he does against that, projecting he has a future here is overrating him. Just my opinion.
No, you can often evaluate players based on their college and how they do in preseason. It's how you earn the promotion, by doing well against underlings.

Richards has done well and I will tell you from his college, he has some ability.

This isn't to say we should be penciling him in as the LT of the future but it's completely fair to call that player a good pick with a future on the team, this isn't a Josh Ball wing and a prayer that you are hoping turns into something and isn't a bust of a pick.

Richards will be at least a quality backup and has a lot of potential for more. He was a late fifth but not a reach/shot in the dark late fifth like many of our fifth rounds picks. Like, we took Chris Canty in the late fourth, but we knew very early on that he was a great pick at that spot. There's mid round picks and then there's mid round picks, ya know? Richards was a great selection in the fifth and not a reach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And frankly I think they have a player in Asim Richards too.

Would be nice if Tyler Smith, Bass, Hoffman, and Richards are mainstays. That just means they need a center.
That is funny, they sure did not show him the love for all the whole season. They way he looked in preseason was raw, like he needs to get stronger.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A guard who can also play center or a guard who could also be a LT?

There are way more guys who played LT in college who project to OG in the NFL than guys who look like they have G/C versatility.
More on the Tackle depth front. If they need a center they need to draft a true center.

Top Bottom