2023 Season | Week 16 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Dolphins | 12/24/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, if there is a guy in FA or the draft that can help at NT, we absolutely should be looking to bring them in.

And yes, we need another O-lineman.
If we go with a NT, it needs to be in free agency. I just think it's really difficult to find a rookie NT who is great. It's a position that takes time to develop. And I get that Benton has been pretty good. But I think when it comes to NT you need a guy who has been in the league a few years and knows what he is doing. Plus the play strength in the NFL is just tough with a 22 year old going against grown men who have been doing this for years.

I agree about LBer. The Overshown injury is really unfortunate because I thought he looked really good before he got hurt. I didn't love the pick when we made it but then he won me over. Then of course he got hurt. Even assuming he comes back full strength (Which may be a leap after Gallup and Steele recently) we probably need another draft pick like that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't go that far with the praise but I do think he has improved.

Look, he's never going to be great in those types of games. That Miami game proved once and for all that he's always going to struggle in those sorts of games and situations.

With that being said, while he didn't play well the other night, it was an improvement from how he typically plays in those sorts of situations.

Like usual, he struggled to scan the field and make good decisions for the better part of two quarters as he was flustered and rattled. However, unlike before, he protected the football and didn't do anything to hurt us and most importantly, when he absolutely had to put a drive together he was able to do so and give us the lead and put us in a position to win the game.

On a scale of 1-10, I give that performance a 7, but that would have been more than good enough to win at San Francisco last January.

I've said this repeatedly but we outplayed the 49ers that day and the only reason why we didn't beat them was because Dak was TERRIBLE. If he had just played decently, we win that game by 10 points.

Well, the Dak we got vs Miami was definitely good enough. So why he may not ever play great in those types of games, Sunday did give me hope that he can at least be functional enough to win a big game like that on the road.

The problem is, we now have the defense to worry about in those games too.
please take into account the very porous OL play. No QB plays their best when constantly under seige. And Dak was running for his life most plays. Edoga not knowing his assignment and Steele just plain sucking has everything to do with how Dak played.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I take physical defenses 10 times out of 10 over fast defenses. The depth that allows fast defenses to continue to take punishment no longer exists like it could have in pre-FA 1992.

That Miami/Baltimore matchup looks really interesting now. Reek's speed vs Baltimore's physicality
Reek?

That's bussin', yo. No cap.*

*Disclaimer: I had to have my kid translate this for me.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Reek?

That's bussin', yo. No cap.*

*Disclaimer: I had to have my kid translate this for me.
I didn't even know what he meant at first. :lol

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I hope Mazi doesn't scare us off from another DT relatively high, too.

Plus the OL is getting old, and if they insist on keeping Tyler at G, we need a LT stat.
That concerns me as well. Mazi has been a disaster, and I'm afraid that will keep us from going DT early in the 24' draft. And our O line needs help immediately. Not to mention RB

kidd

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't go that far with the praise but I do think he has improved.

Look, he's never going to be great in those types of games. That Miami game proved once and for all that he's always going to struggle in those sorts of games and situations.

With that being said, while he didn't play well the other night, it was an improvement from how he typically plays in those sorts of situations.

Like usual, he struggled to scan the field and make good decisions for the better part of two quarters as he was flustered and rattled. However, unlike before, he protected the football and didn't do anything to hurt us and most importantly, when he absolutely had to put a drive together he was able to do so and give us the lead and put us in a position to win the game.

On a scale of 1-10, I give that performance a 7, but that would have been more than good enough to win at San Francisco last January.

I've said this repeatedly but we outplayed the 49ers that day and the only reason why we didn't beat them was because Dak was TERRIBLE. If he had just played decently, we win that game by 10 points.

Well, the Dak we got vs Miami was definitely good enough. So why he may not ever play great in those types of games, Sunday did give me hope that he can at least be functional enough to win a big game like that on the road.

The problem is, we now have the defense to worry about in those games too.
So you agree with LT that Dak isn’t the QB for us and we need to move on?

Just so you’re sure, I’m not putting Dak in all timer status or anything like that. LT was saying he hadn’t improved enough and I was making the point that he had and from what I read here, you agree, no?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
So you agree with LT that Dak isn’t the QB for us and we need to move on?

Just so you’re sure, I’m not putting Dak in all timer status or anything like that. LT was saying he hadn’t improved enough and I was making the point that he had and from what I read here, you agree, no?
I'm with you 💯
I don't know if Dak could take us all the way or not. But for the first time in years, I'm feeling good about him.

shane

DCC 4Life
The Dak hate is ridiculous. He has been MVP tier since the SF game and came up big repeatedly on the biggest drive in the Dolphins game on the road against one of the top teams in the league. He was under siege most of the game and still put them in a position to win and didn't turn the ball over. If/when Dallas blows it in the playoffs, he won't be the reason why.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
I take physical defenses 10 times out of 10 over fast defenses. The depth that allows fast defenses to continue to take punishment no longer exists like it could have in pre-FA 1992.

That Miami/Baltimore matchup looks really interesting now. Reek's speed vs Baltimore's physicality
Thinking back to the more recent defenses of championship teams... The Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots all had big physical players who usually overpowered their opponents.
It was obvious by watching last night's game that the Ravens were simply bigger and stronger.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Thinking back to the more recent defenses of championship teams... The Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots all had big physical players who usually overpowered their opponents.
It was obvious by watching last night's game that the Ravens were simply bigger and stronger.
Jimmy's defenses were on the small side and fast. You don't always need the bruisers.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
The Dak hate is ridiculous. He has been MVP tier since the SF game and came up big repeatedly on the biggest drive in the Dolphins game on the road against one of the top teams in the league. He was under siege most of the game and still put them in a position to win and didn't turn the ball over. If/when Dallas blows it in the playoffs, he won't be the reason why.
First, it has nothing to do with "hate." He's good to very good, but he's still flawed. That's not "hate."

Second, he wasn't "under siege" the whole game. He was at times, but at times he got pressured because he wouldn't pull the trigger and held the ball too long.

Third, that was only the "biggest drive" because the defense kept us in the game. The Fins offense is great. Their defense is middle of the road.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You don't think he had deer in the headlights for the middle 2.5 quarters of that game?

Sure, he was pressured some later, but after the beginning couple of drives, when Fangio changed up coverages (or whatever it was that happened), he had time but got hesitant and held the ball too long.

I think he's improved, too, and this coaching and system has made him better than he has been. But I'm afraid he's never going to fully get over that hump.
The ease at which not just him but the entire offense flows at home is so different. On the road, he dithers a lot and it affects the timing of the offense. Once that starts happening, it is tough to try to run.

kidd

DCC 4Life
You don't think he had deer in the headlights for the middle 2.5 quarters of that game?

Sure, he was pressured some later, but after the beginning couple of drives, when Fangio changed up coverages (or whatever it was that happened), he had time but got hesitant and held the ball too long.

I think he's improved, too, and this coaching and system has made him better than he has been. But I'm afraid he's never going to fully get over that hump.
So you’re ready to move on as well? I’m really not trying to put words in your mouth but if you don’t think he’ll ever get over the hump and be the guy for us, then why keep him around?

Bottom line, no QB in the NFL is going to play lights out for every quarter of every game but he stepped up when he needed to and that’s significant improvement to me.

Sorry if it’s not good enough for you but the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world don’t grow on trees and Dak is the best QB in our division right now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What good does an MVP performance level mean if it disappears vs the NFL's best?

The MVP talk was a result of his playing on a winning streak as the QB of the most popular NFL team playing a lot of bad teams, home games, and the Eagles.

He showed early signs of cooling off vs the Eagles in Arlington despite some of the crazy passes he did make as he missed other easier ones and gave up a strip-6, came up utterly empty vs the Bills, and was average and not good on 3rd down vs the Dolphins.

QB's win games on 3rd down and by feeding their best players, covered or not. What happened to Lamb for most of two quarters vs Miami?

One thing I do like is Dak has greatly cut down on his interceptions in 2023, but his overall accuracy vs good teams is still not consistent:

@Dolphins62.50
@Bills61.81
Eagles61.50
Seahawks70.70
@Eagles65.90
@49ers58.33
Rams80.61
The Rams are a better team today than they were when we played them, but I left them in to be fair. Seattle may have been his best game.

I don't expect over 70% every game, but for us to be competitive I think Dak needs to be over 65% in the playoffs.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So you’re ready to move on as well? I’m really not trying to put words in your mouth but if you don’t think he’ll ever get over the hump and be the guy for us, then why keep him around?

Bottom line, no QB in the NFL is going to play lights out for every quarter of every game but he stepped up when he needed to and that’s significant improvement to me.

Sorry if it’s not good enough for you but the Peyton Mannings and Tom Bradys of the world don’t grow on trees and Dak is the best QB in our division right now.
I've always said that it's a tough spot for the team to be in. Of course he's better than most QBs, so if you dump him there's a great chance the next guy is no better or worse. But do I think he's going to out-duel the better defenses? No. So you just keep trying and hope the breaks go your way at some point, which they can.

I will say that a huge new extension isn't going to make me very happy, though I'm sure that's what will happen.

If it had been up to me, I would have drafted Hendon Hooker last year to at least have an option. As it is, we're pretty well stuck. (And FWIW, from what I've seen, I don't think Lance can play.)

p1_

DCC 4Life
First, it has nothing to do with "hate." He's good to very good, but he's still flawed. That's not "hate."

Second, he wasn't "under siege" the whole game. He was at times, but at times he got pressured because he wouldn't pull the trigger and held the ball too long.

Third, that was only the "biggest drive" because the defense kept us in the game. The Fins offense is great. Their defense is middle of the road.
So now the measure of his play is about his quick release alone . If he holds the ball ‘too long’ then he sucks . Lord help him going through progression too damned slow, or guys getting covered up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So now the measure of his play is about his quick release alone . If he holds the ball ‘too long’ then he sucks . Lord help him going through progression too damned slow, or guys getting covered up.
He needs a guy he feels like he can throw to no matter how well he's covered.

That should be Lamb, but apparently it isn't.

We appear to be a big WR, a healthy young OT, and a strong RB away from being complete on offense.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom