2023 Season | Week 16 | Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ Dolphins | 12/24/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What good does an MVP performance level mean if it disappears vs the NFL's best?

The MVP talk was a result of his playing on a winning streak as the QB of the most popular NFL team playing a lot of bad teams, home games, and the Eagles.

He showed early signs of cooling off vs the Eagles in Arlington despite some of the crazy passes he did make as he missed other easier ones and gave up a strip-6, came up utterly empty vs the Bills, and was average and not good on 3rd down vs the Dolphins.

QB's win games on 3rd down and by feeding their best players, covered or not. What happened to Lamb for most of two quarters vs Miami?

One thing I do like is Dak has greatly cut down on his interceptions in 2023, but his overall accuracy vs good teams is still not consistent:

@Dolphins62.50
@Bills61.81
Eagles61.50
Seahawks70.70
@Eagles65.90
@49ers58.33
Rams80.61
The Rams are a better team today than they were when we played them, but I left them in to be fair. Seattle may have been his best game.

I don't expect over 70% every game, but for us to be competitive I think Dak needs to be over 65% in the playoffs.
and Dak was a solid 62.5% vs Miami.

Last edited:

kidd

DCC 4Life
and Dak was a solid 67% vs Miami.
So there are some here who contend that the Defense did enough to win the game even though they allowed a drive to set up a walk off FG.

Dak posted a passer rating of 108, threw for over 250 yds with two TDs and 0 INTs despite missing Tyron Smith allowing him to be sacked 4 times and hit 12 times but that not good enough to win?

I will freely admit that I was down on Dak and much of it stemmed from bitterness that Romo got screwed out of his starting job (another thread for another day but not really),but he has shown marked improvement this season.

As Ace pointed out, we all will take this Miami game Dak over the Dak from the divisional playoff last year.

To write him off and say he’s not the guy, my question is rhen who is the guy and where are we getting him?

kidd

DCC 4Life
Let me also ask if we’re going to focus on Dak’s performance only in the 2nd and 3rd qtr, then why are some giving the defense a pass and not focus on the last three minutes of the game?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Can someone tell me what anyone saw in Mazi? I get he tested strong, but when I saw his highlights I didnt see a guy eating up blocks or overpowering OL.
I have been trying to figure that out for a while.

We should have all known how he would be after this endorsement.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I have been trying to figure that out for a while.

We should have all known how he would be after this endorsement.
I was willing to give him some slack but now that he has this endorsement. Meh. Flush him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
CeeDee even complained about it. Fat Mike can be impressive at times, and at other times can be flat out terrible.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
So there are some here who contend that the Defense did enough to win the game even though they allowed a drive to set up a walk off FG.

Dak posted a passer rating of 108, threw for over 250 yds with two TDs and 0 INTs despite missing Tyron Smith allowing him to be sacked 4 times and hit 12 times but that not good enough to win?

I will freely admit that I was down on Dak and much of it stemmed from bitterness that Romo got screwed out of his starting job (another thread for another day but not really),but he has shown marked improvement this season.

As Ace pointed out, we all will take this Miami game Dak over the Dak from the divisional playoff last year.

To write him off and say he’s not the guy, my question is rhen who is the guy and where are we getting him?
I think Dak played more than good enough to win the Miami game.
The problem, as has been posted as nauseam here is a FO and “GM” who refuses to go the extra mile to get the team over the top.
We could win a SB with Dak, but he needs a much better RB, another Amari Cooper opposite CeeDee, and a defense who can stop a team like the Niners or Dolphins or Eagles when you absolutely need a stop. We have some pieces on defense, but need the DL and LBers to round it out. Right now we don’t have that, haven’t had it and probably won’t have it until Jones isn’t running the team any longer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Brother I’m usually with you but Dak has improved immensely. It seems that since the 49ers game, the light has as come on and he’s been clicking ever since. He had a bad game like the Buffalo game but every QB is going to have those. I was impressed with how he lead us to a lead changing TD against Miami. You could see the determination there. No “deer in the headlights” look was to be found. It’s just too bad our defense didn’t step it up one more time.
Yes Dak improved but the team came up short. The last scoring series Dallas had the ball on about the 9 yard line and it took 9 plays to score ( best I recall). His execution wasn’t very good when the team needed it. Dallas was poised to win that game and granted the defense didn’t stand up well but it remains that Dak was still operating at times like a freshman QB. Maybe there is time still for him to rise and shine but it will be harder.

data

Forbes #1
Yes Dak improved but the team came up short. The last scoring series Dallas had the ball on about the 9 yard line and it took 9 plays to score ( best I recall). His execution wasn’t very good when the team needed it. Dallas was poised to win that game and granted the defense didn’t stand up well but it remains that Dak was still operating at times like a freshman QB. Maybe there is time still for him to rise and shine but it will be harder.
Dak Prescott isn’t on the tier of Mahomes, Burrow, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, but…

Brock Purdy > Dak Prescott > Jalen Hurts w/o Tush Push

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
We could win a SB with Dak, but he needs a much better RB, another Amari Cooper opposite CeeDee, and a defense who can stop a team like the Niners or Dolphins or Eagles when you absolutely need a stop.
The running game deficiency is a back breaker for SB contention.

If we had a better rushing game, the other items on the list are sufficient (but certainly could be improved).

Cant out my finger on it, but we seem to have bad timing for when our units do well and fail.

Penalties are significant, too.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The running game deficiency is a back breaker for SB contention.

If we had a better rushing game, the other items on the list are sufficient (but certainly could be improved).

Cant out my finger on it, but we seem to have bad timing for when our units do well and fail.

Penalties are significant, too.
We allegedly got rid of Moore to become a more run focused team. Pollard has one 100-yard game this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
CeeDee even complained about it. Fat Mike can be impressive at times, and at other times can be flat out terrible.
His pairing with a fellow old head in Schottenheimer’s Kid is not helpful if you think about it.

data

Forbes #1
We allegedly got rid of Moore to become a more run focused team. Pollard has one 100-yard game this year.
In addition, significant are the failed 3rd and shorts and goal to go.

Imagine the Eagles w/o tush push. Significantly worse.

And we probably lose one TD-to-FG per game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think we planned on being more run focused but they realized midstream that Pollard isn't as good as they thought he was. I think we also realized (maybe losing LVE and Diggs had a lot to do with it) that the defense isn't good enough to lean on week in week out and so the offense would need to be more aggressive.

I also think some of what McCarthy said was pretext. He wanted to get rid of Moore either way but he needed something to say publicly without trying to trash the guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think we planned on being more run focused but they realized midstream that Pollard isn't as good as they thought he was.
Yeah exactly.

Remember, we started off the season running a lot and some were even complaining that our passing game was too conservative.

I think they realized going into the bye week that in order for this offense to excel it was going to have to be more pass heavy and that's when it changed and we started scoring more points.

But yeah, I think McCarthy would still like to run the ball more but realizes it's just not a strength so there's only so much we can rely on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom