2023 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedsblue42021117

DCC 4Life
Don't worry, you're right.

I don't see anybody saying he sucks or can't be better.

But he was really bad last season. As you astutely point out, if it was all on the QB, system, and coaches, you'd see the rest of Atlanta's receivers with the same issues. But you don't. That's simple logic.

The point of all this is if you're drafting a TE that high because he's supposed to be some transcendent talent, you'd want more than what the falcons have gotten from Pitts.

Imagine if Parsons had the rookie year he had, but then came back in his second year with like half a sack, 3 pressures, 2 TFLs and was injured half the year. Some people would still defend him and point to his rookie year as proof of his greatness. But there would be a lot of people who rightly would be questioning how good he really is.

Because when you draft a guy that high and he's touted as the next phenom at his position, he shouldn't be bottoming out like that. Part of what you want is consistency.

We're not talking about counting stats where you can say, well, they run a lot so the opportunities aren't there, or the QB isn't finding him or whatever. He got plenty of targets and he caught less than half. That's a problem.

For comparison's sake, Pitts had by far the lowest catch percentage on the team. The next lowest was 56.5%. Everyone else was above 60%.

But somehow it was the system/QB/coaches? That doesn't make logical sense.

Maybe Pitts was playing hurt, like really hurt. Maybe it was mental. Maybe he was lazy or disgruntled. Maybe he struggled with double teams. You can say a lot of things to explain it. But you can't say it didn't have anything to do with him. It clearly did.

Hell people were criticizing Lamb for far milder performance issues.
True and PItts is in the same boat and at the same crossroads Chase young is in, prove your rookie year wasn't a fluke and live up to expectations being a top 5 pick or be labeled bust regardless of how you might become a decent producing player someday, yuor expcpactions was being labled generational , some Cowboys fans wanted Jerry to trade the house much like NO did with Ricky Williams to egt this guy. wow imagine that.. TG Jerrys not that tyope of gambler anymore and desperate to replace Witten or get his a novacheck type.
Fans ride lamb sure but Zeke was also top 5 pick and at least put up 4 years of great ball before the offense and his injuries took him out.. zeke had career good enough to not label him a mistake, bad contract aside, his production showed he was worth it and Pitts will have to do that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I was just talking about Pitts because he was the surest thing at TE I can remember. More than any other TE you can name. But yeah you can definitely go through the list of every first round TE in the last 10 or 15 years. There are some decent names and a lot of busts.

2022- no first round TE
2021- Kyle Pitts
2020- no first round TE
2019- TJ Hockenson
Noah Fant
2018- Hayden Hurst
2017- OJ Howard
Evan Engram
David Njoku
2016- no first round TE
2015- no first round TE
2014- Eric Ebron
2013- Tyler Eifert
2012- no first round TE

So there is your last decade or so of TE's in the first. Not a great looking group. It's also a fairly small sample size because unlike most NFL draft positions half the time a guy doesn't even go in the first round at TE. It's also in no way me trying to say you can't take a TE in the first round. Just that the evaluation is more difficult. I think everyone would agree that if we knew Kelce or Kittle would become what they have become, they would take those guys in the first round.
So I looked at the same data and chose to highlight the perceived depth of TE by how many were selected in the top 100 of each draft. Below are the ones with the greatest/highest number of guys (Year/order of selection for position/Round/selection/Overall selection):

2019​
1​
1​
8​
8​
T.J. HockensonLions
2​
1​
20​
20​
Noah FantBroncos
3​
2​
18​
50​
Irv SmithVikings
4​
2​
20​
52​
Drew SampleBengals
5​
3​
5​
69​
Josh OliverJaguars
6​
3​
11​
75​
Jace SternbergerPackers
7​
3​
22​
86​
Kahale WarringTexans
8​
3​
32​
96​
Dawson KnoxBills

2014​
1​
1​
10​
10​
Eric EbronLions
2​
2​
6​
38​
Austin Seferian-JenkinsBuccaneers
3​
2​
17​
49​
Jace AmaroJets
4​
2​
20​
52​
Troy NiklasCardinals
5​
3​
1​
65​
C.J. FiedorowiczTexans
6​
3​
34​
98​
Richard RodgersPackers
7​
3​
35​
99​
Crockett GillmoreRavens

2017​
1​
1​
19​
19​
O.J. HowardBuccaneers
2​
1​
23​
23​
Evan EngramGiants
3​
1​
29​
29​
David NjokuBrowns
4​
2​
12​
44​
Gerald EverettRams
5​
2​
13​
45​
Adam ShaheenBears
6​
3​
36​
100​
Jonnu SmithTitans

2013​
1​
1​
21​
21​
Tyler EifertBengals
2​
2​
3​
35​
Zach ErtzEagles
3​
2​
15​
47​
Gavin EscobarCowboys
4​
2​
23​
55​
Vance McDonald49ers
5​
3​
1​
63​
Travis KelceChiefs
6​
3​
23​
85​
Jordan ReedRedskins

data

Forbes #1
I was just talking about Pitts because he was the surest thing at TE I can remember. More than any other TE you can name. But yeah you can definitely go through the list of every first round TE in the last 10 or 15 years. There are some decent names and a lot of busts.

2022- no first round TE
2021- Kyle Pitts
2020- no first round TE
2019- TJ Hockenson
Noah Fant
2018- Hayden Hurst
2017- OJ Howard
Evan Engram
David Njoku
2016- no first round TE
2015- no first round TE
2014- Eric Ebron
2013- Tyler Eifert
2012- no first round TE
The list should start in 1997.

1680882464113.jpeg

data

Forbes #1
You sir have bad taste. I think she has a very pretty face.
I agree with you on having a face. Disagree on the pretty and astonished on the very.

At least you and I wouldn’t have to worry about fighting over the same girl.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you on having a face. Disagree on the pretty and astonished on the very.

At least you and I wouldn’t have to worry about fighting over the same girl.
I was going to say I'm married and too old. But then I realize she is actually too old for me. Still I am married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom