2023 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I dunno. The dude sat out an entire year with a hammy, supposedly.
Yea I don't know what his deal is, you can see what he does on the field but ultimately the decision to take him or not will come down to off the field intel that the scouts gather.

I'm just saying from afar I'd be fine with it as long as he tests well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
CB is barely a need at all, it's damn near the strongest position on the team.

People mistakenly think it's a need because of all the injuries.
You seen the XRays?

I kid.

You still have to wonder if they are going to be healthy coming back. I wouldn't be opposed to addressing the position. Just wouldn't push it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You seen the XRays?

I kid.

You still have to wonder if they are going to be healthy coming back. I wouldn't be opposed to addressing the position. Just wouldn't push it.
Brown is a legitimate long-term concern but Lewis only broke his foot, I'd be shocked if he wasn't able to come back and still be a very good slot CB.

Diggs/Bland/Lewis/Mukuamu is a strong group, throw in Brown on a 1 year rehab contract and maybe another 4th/5th rounder and we're good to go.

If a CB is the BPA at 26 I'd be fine taking them but there's no chance I'd argue that it's one of our top needs.

Rev

Staff member
Brown is a legitimate long-term concern but Lewis only broke his foot, I'd be shocked if he wasn't able to come back and still be a very good slot CB.

Diggs/Bland/Lewis/Mukuamu is a strong group, throw in Brown on a 1 year rehab contract and maybe another 4th/5th rounder and we're good to go.

If a CB is the BPA at 26 I'd be fine taking them but there's no chance I'd argue that it's one of our top needs.

So my question now is how do they get both Bland and Lewis on the field? They seem to want to play Bland inside or does his performance allow him to stay on the outside.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
I'd just keep Bland outside. He's big enough for it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A comparison of who Kiper had us taking versus who we took since 2010:

051020CowboysLogo2020

Kiper
: OT Bruce Campbell, CB Prince Amukamara, OG David DeCastro, OG Jonathan Cooper, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, DT Jordan Phillips, DT DeForest Buckner, CB Sidney Jones, DT Vita Vea, CB C.J. Henderson, OT Rashawn Slater, DE Travon Walker.

Actual: WR Dez Bryant, OT Tyron Smith, CB Morris Claiborne, C Travis Frederick, OG Zack Martin, DB Byron Jones, RB Ezekiel Elliott, DE Taco Charlton, LB Leighton Vander Esch, CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons, Tyler Smith.

Prodigal_Son

Resurrected
On pre-draft paper, some of those picks would have killed in Dallas. But so many busts that were avoided.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So my question now is how do they get both Bland and Lewis on the field? They seem to want to play Bland inside or does his performance allow him to stay on the outside.
Bland was our starting outside CB since I believe the Eagles game onwards so I don't think that's an issue, just leave him outside and bring on Lewis in the slot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bland was our starting outside CB since I believe the Eagles game onwards so I don't think that's an issue, just leave him outside and bring on Lewis in the slot.
Yeah he basically played outside and then shifted to the slot when we went 3 corners. The fact that the guy can do both as a rookie fifth round pick speaks volumes. And he wasn't just serviceable he was very good. You can really play Bland at either and he is a stud.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I saw that Kiper also has Anthony Richardson mocked to the Panthers at #9.

I just don't get what these draft gurus see in that guy. I guess they're banking on teams being able to coach him up like the Bills did with Josh Allen.

Allen is the extreme exception. Usually QBs who struggle as passers in college don't improve much in the NFL.

Kiper even concedes that he's going to need to sit and learn for at least a year because he's raw. He'll probably end up going in the 3rd round, about where he should go, but everyone will assume he fell due to all the draft experts mocking him into the 1st round. Just like Malik Willis last year.

Rev

Staff member
Yeah he basically played outside and then shifted to the slot when we went 3 corners. The fact that the guy can do both as a rookie fifth round pick speaks volumes. And he wasn't just serviceable he was very good. You can really play Bland at either and he is a stud.
I agree. I'm just not sure the Cowboys agree. It seemed like they were hesitant about starting him there (heard the -but we like him inside excuse). Hopefully he sticks out there and is a fixture for years to come.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I just don't get what these draft gurus see in that guy. I guess they're banking on teams being able to coach him up like the Bills did with Josh Allen.

Allen is the extreme exception. Usually QBs who struggle as passers in college don't improve much in the NFL.

Kiper even concedes that he's going to need to sit and learn for at least a year because he's raw. He'll probably end up going in the 3rd round, about where he should go, but everyone will assume he fell due to all the draft experts mocking him into the 1st round. Just like Malik Willis last year.
Yeah, someone is really going to regret taking that dude in my opinion. That or it's going to be one of those "shocked moments" on draft day when he falls. When in reality there is zero reason he should be in discussion for the first round. Hell I wouldn't even touch him in the second.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I'm just not sure the Cowboys agree. It seemed like they were hesitant about starting him there (heard the -but we like him inside excuse). Hopefully he sticks out there and is a fixture for years to come.
I think that was mostly not wanting to move a rookie around and force him to learn multiple positions. Obviously they would prefer to pick a spot and keep him there. Guy has plenty of long speed, toughness and size to play on the outside. He just also happens to be a stud in the slot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He's going to get overdrafted because he fits the prototype now.

I guess some people think you can win with the likes of Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields and shit as long as you build up around the mobility you can improve the inconsistency with mechanics/scheme to shore up the accuracy issues.

As far as the comparison to Willis, I don't see the translation. Liberty and Florida are two different environments.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's going to get overdrafted because he fits the prototype now.

I guess some people think you can win with the likes of Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields and shit as long as you build up around the mobility you can improve the inconsistency with mechanics/scheme to shore up the accuracy issues.

As far as the comparison to Willis, I don't see the translation. Liberty and Florida are two different environments.
Anthony Richardson wasn't half the college QB of Hurts and Fields. It's not like he didn't play for a really talented team either. Florida has talent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bad tackling or special back?
I really like Robinson but the more I look at the RB class the more I love it.

Zach Charbonnet
Zach Evans
Roschon Johnson
DeWayne McBride
Kendre Miller

Are all guys who have really impressed me from my watching. If you haven't seen them, go watch these guys. All big, run stupid hard, have some explosive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom