2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Kind of dumb to shit on this. Yes, they're still being cheap in a lot of ways. But if it works out, who cares?

I've always been of the mindset that just writing blank checks in FA is pretty dumb. You have to pick and choose your spots or else you'll be wrecking the cap for little to no impact.

The WR FA class is the perfect example. There really wasn't anyone available in free agency that was worth breaking the bank for.

I guess La Canfora would have been happy had we spent roughly the same amount for JuJu Smith Schuster (or Beckham for that matter) simply because it was a free agent rather than a trade (and therefore be stuck for multiple years for no reason). And by the way, Cooks is probably better.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If I had to guess we'll resign Fowler and Hankins, maybe Peters a little down the line, and call it a day for free agency. Wagner might be a possibility if he takes like $4M for a year but that seems unlikely.

I really wish we'd take a flyer on Yannick Ngakoue instead of Fowler but whatever.
same, Fowler had a very quiet 6 sacks. im surprised they havent closed the deal with him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of dumb to shit on this. Yes, they're still being cheap in a lot of ways. But if it works out, who cares?

I've always been of the mindset that just writing blank checks in FA is pretty dumb. You have to pick and choose your spots or else you'll be wrecking the cap for little to no impact.

The WR FA class is the perfect example. There really wasn't anyone available in free agency that was worth breaking the bank for.

I guess La Canfora would have been happy had we spent roughly the same amount for JuJu Smith Schuster (or Beckham for that matter) simply because it was a free agent rather than a trade (and therefore be stuck for multiple years for no reason). And by the way, Cooks is probably better.
Cooks is better than any of the free agent WRs that were available this offseason. Gilmore was arguably as good as any of the free agent corners. So yeah, you gave up late round picks for these two instead. Given the NFL comp pick system it's a smart way of doing it. The guys you traded for had you signed them, would cancel out a fifth comp pick anyway. So basically it's no different then signing them in free agency.

We are basically taking advantage of the NFL system. I'm not afraid to give props when the team does something smart. You don't sign anyone in free agency you get a comp pick for the guys you lose. You use those comp picks to trade for players. You basically are doing free agency without competing with other teams for these players on the open market.

p1_

DCC 4Life

he seems to have a mistaken the perception of Jer as well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Who lauds him as a win at all costs owner? And Cooks has 2 years left on his deal. He doesn't have to be a one year rental. More like you see what he does next year and if he looks great you keep him, if he doesn't you move on. It's the best of both worlds.

Yep, with no cap hit if they dump him. It's literally smarter to do it this way.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If you all will remember, years ago La Canfora was the guy spoiling picks during the draft. That’s when I unfollowed him.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Fantastic pick up on the cheap …. A 5th and 6th between this year and next year . He’s got a shit ton of speed, which is what we lack in our wide receiving corps. On top of that he has six 1000 yard receiving seasons since 2015 the only other wide receivers that have more are Mike Evans, Travis, Kelce, and Amari Cooper.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Now we aren’t forced to go WR if it’s not there. Love it.

We need another playmaker at RB— can’t kid ourselves— and absolutely must land a strong, young interior DL. Not another one-gap, bouncing pursuer like Gallimore either.

We need someone who holds his ground no matter what and pressure the interior late in games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now we aren’t forced to go WR if it’s not there. Love it.

We need another playmaker at RB— can’t kid ourselves— and absolutely must land a strong, young interior DL. Not another one-gap, bouncing pursuer like Gallimore either.

We need someone who holds his ground no matter what and pressure the interior late in games.
I love Mazi for whatever reason. He is probably my top 1 tech. Just great locker room guy, stupid strong, still a good athlete and he doesn't mind doing the dirty work.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Alright. All this good stuff comes an end. We cant lose our long snapper.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Nfl.com shows that McQuaide was only in 4 games last season.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom