2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Figured we needed a thread.

Since we all know there's a 0.0% chance we do anything of note, I figured I'd break down this year's class of free agents that we should be at least somewhat interested in (but obviously won't) in a way that gives you some insight into Stephen's thought process:

Note: I'm excluding our internal FA's since we already know the deal on most of them.

"You would literally need to waterboard me to even consider it"

Javon Hargrave
Marcus Davenport
Dre'Mont Jones
Bobby Okereke
Juan Thornhill
Jessie Bates
Vonn Bell
Leonard Floyd
Zach Allen
Poona Ford
Tremaine Edmunds

"Perhaps after 3/4 a bottle of Johnny Blue, but still no"

Dalvin Tomlinson
Samson Ebukam
Morgan Fox
Charles Omenihu
Azeez Al-Shaair
D'Onta Foreman
Bobby Wagner
Yannick Ngakoue
Greg Gaines
Sheldon Rankins
Germaine Pratt
Eric Kendricks
Drue Tranquill
David Onyemata
Kareem Hunt
Taylor Rapp

"Getting warmer...but still no"

Arden Key
Khalen Saunders
Matthew Ioannidis
Dawuane Smoot
Rasheem Green
Anthony Walker Jr.
DeMarcus Walker
Rashaan Evans
Kaden Elliss
Larry Ogunjobi
Kyzir White
Jordan Phillips
Andrew Van Ginkel
Jayon Brown
David Long

"Now you're speaking my language (it's March 23rd in the Year of Our Lord 2023)"

Jaleel Johnson
Justin Hollins
Cory Littleton
Malik Reed
Clelin Ferrell
Mike Pennel
Trey Flowers
Solomon Thomas
Andrew Billings
Al-Quadin Muhammad
LJ Collier
William Gholston
Markus Golden
Bud Dupree

Of course we all know the reality of the situation, we'll sign a handful of our cheaper internal FA's (i.e. Hankins, Fowler, maybe McGovern), maybe one of the more expensive guys (LVE or Wilson, but not both), maybe 2 guys off the last list here, and then they'll spread a few rumors about being interested in Wagner or trading for Hopkins/Cooks to blue ball the fanbase before doing nothing and proclaiming that they're "looking forward to the draft".

Drink it in bitches.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Khalen Saunders is a personal favorite of mine, ascending player who would bolster the interior of our DL while not getting anywhere close to breaking the bank.

And by "not breaking the bank" I mean for a normal team, because he'll probably get somewhere around $6-8M/year, which of course Stephen considers not only "breaking the bank" but breaking the Federal Reserve when it comes to external FA's.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Khalen Saunders is a personal favorite of mine, ascending player who would bolster the interior of our DL while not getting anywhere close to breaking the bank.

And by "not breaking the bank" I mean for a normal team, because he'll probably get somewhere around $6-8M/year, which of course Stephen considers not only "breaking the bank" but breaking the Federal Reserve when it comes to external FA's.
That is a guy who would be a great choice. Would at least have a chance at being in our price range. Hopefully no one tries to sign him the first couple weeks of free agency. Even if he is in our price range we won't talk to anyone for a week or two.

p1_

DCC 4Life
about damned time. I lobbied for this, and now Simp makes it a reality. Thanks my good man.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea I'm not really interested in paying $10M+ for Lazard or Juju, if we make a move at WR I'd rather it be a trade for an impact vet or roll the dice in the draft.
Yeah I had thought about a Paris Cambell or something. Darius Slayton possibly. Just to give us a little cover for the draft. But if it causes us to shy away from a top pick at WR in the draft I'd rather just not. Campbell at least has speed. He was finally coming around this last year. But injuries have slowed his career. It would mostly be a shot hoping he stays healthy. Sort of same thing with Slayton.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
It's like being a Jehovah's Witness kid during Christmas, gotta wait around to see what everybody else got!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I was raised to be happy for others. I'm not in this situation.
Hell yeah, it's always great to watch other folks open presents...I'm excited for them.

And it's ok because in a couple weeks we're gonna have a party where I get to open up after-Christmas clearance items.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys in free agency: 10 players to consider at WR, LB and other areas of need
DETROIT, MICHIGAN - DECEMBER 11: DJ Chark #4 of the Detroit Lions scores a touchdown during the second quarter of the game against the Minnesota Vikings at Ford Field on December 11, 2022 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo by Mike Mulholland/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota
2h ago

If you’ve been following the Cowboys for at least the last five years, you understand this time of year isn’t all that exciting in Dallas.

The Cowboys’ current draft-and-develop plan is expected to continue on a similar path when the NFL’s free agency negotiation period begins Monday at 11 a.m. CT. Players then can begin officially signing on Wednesday at 3 p.m. CT. Dallas will attempt to re-sign several of its own unrestricted free agents and then fill some other holes so they aren’t forced to draft a certain position next month.

As a quick refresher, here are some of the Cowboys’ most notable signings this time of year over the previous five seasons.

2022: DE Dante Fowler (one year, $3 million), WR James Washington (one year, $1.2 million).

2021: LB Keanu Neal (one year, $4 million), DE Tarell Basham (two years, $5.5 million), S Jayron Kearse (one year, $1.1 million).

2020: DT Gerald McCoy (three years, $18.3 million), DT Dontari Poe (two years, $8.5 million), K Greg Zuerlein (three years, $7.5 million), S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (one year, $3.75 million).

2019: WR Randall Cobb (one year, $5 million), TE Jason Witten (one year, $4.25 million), DT Christian Covington (one year, $2.5 million).

2018: WR Allen Hurns (two years, $12 million), WR Deonte Thompson (one year, $1.8 million), LB Joe Thomas (two years, $3.6 million).

The Cowboys enter this week with 18 unrestricted free agents: TE Dalton Schultz, LB Leighton Vander Esch, S Donovan Wilson, G Connor McGovern, QB Cooper Rush, CB Anthony Brown, DE Dante Fowler, WR T.Y. Hilton, LB Anthony Barr, DT Johnathan Hankins, OT Jason Peters, LB Luke Gifford, WR Noah Brown, DT Carlos Watkins, DB C.J. Goodwin, K Brett Maher, LS Jake McQuaide, and LS Matt Overton.

Of that group, Schultz, Vander Esch, Wilson and Brown made The Athletic’s initial top 150 free agents list. Running back Tony Pollard was also listed, but he has since been given the franchise tag.
https://theathletic.com/4281818/2023/03/06/cowboys-tony-pollard-franchise-tag-dalton-schultz/
It’s difficult to envision the Cowboys making a bold move and signing one of the top players on that list. Whenever the subject of pursuing bigger players in free agency is mentioned, Dallas executive vice president Stephen Jones is usually quick to explain that the franchise’s main goal is to re-sign its own stars. Jones and company are hopeful of being able to re-sign standout players like WR CeeDee Lamb, LB/DE Micah Parsons and CB Trevon Diggs in the near future as they approach the end of their rookie contracts.

But what if the Cowboys could find a way to accomplish that and be just a little more involved early in free agency? Maybe a scenario where they envision a piece or two being added to put the franchise over the top and finally get back to the Super Bowl?

Looking through the top 150 free agents, several players stood out at some positions of need. Some might be regarded as too expensive for Dallas, but let’s at least take a look at 10 unrestricted free agents who could make sense for the Cowboys.
https://theathletic.com/4299883/2023/03/13/nfl-free-agency-value-rankings/
LB Bobby Wagner
He’s No. 5 on the updated list of best available players, so typically that would mean no chance for Dallas. But Wagner has ties with Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn from their time together in Seattle. Wagner’s most recent contract with the Los Angeles Rams was for five years, $50 million. The Cowboys are unlikely to give him a deal that averages $10 million per season, especially with Wagner turning 33 in June. But maybe something could be worked out on a more team-friendly deal. Wagner has made first- or second-team All-Pro each of the last nine seasons.

CB Patrick Peterson
Another well-known defender who has been to eight Pro Bowls. Peterson, who turns 33 in July, started all 17 games for the Minnesota Vikings last season. He intercepted five passes, which was one off the league lead. His contract last season was for one year, $4 million. The Cowboys need help at cornerback with Brown headed to free agency. They probably can address it as early as the 26th pick in the draft. They could also potentially go into next season with Diggs, Jourdan Lewis and DaRon Bland as their three starters.

WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Some are probably tired of hearing his name after nothing materialized between Beckham and the Cowboys a few months ago. He recently held a workout in front of several NFL teams. The Cowboys say they still have interest. Wide receiver remains arguably Dallas’ biggest position of need. The only way this doesn’t make sense is if the price tag is too high, which is certainly possible.

WR DJ Chark
He’s not Beckham, but he can produce like a No. 2 wide receiver. Injuries slowed him early last season in Detroit, but he finished strong with some big games during the final month of the season. Chark, 26, played last season on a one-year, $10 million deal. Alongside Lamb, he could be a 700- to 800-yard receiver with five or six touchdowns. It’s not a great wide receiver draft class, so unless the Cowboys are going to make a trade, signing a player like Chark isn’t a bad idea.

WR Adam Thielen
The recently released pass catcher turns 33 in August. He’s no longer a 1,000-yard wide receiver, but he’s probably still capable of 700 yards and five or six touchdowns. He played in all 17 games last season, catching 70 passes for 716 yards and six touchdowns. Pairing him with Lamb and Michael Gallup on the right one-year deal could make sense.
https://theathletic.com/4301225/2023/03/13/nfl-free-agency-best-available-players/
DE Arden Key
This all depends on what the Cowboys think of the possibilities for Sam Williams in Year 2. If they believe he’s ready to make a much bigger impact, then there’s no need to put anyone else in his way. But if the Cowboys are looking to keep a similar rotation to last year, Key would be an intriguing player to fill Fowler’s role. Key, who turns 27 in May, has 11 sacks over the last two seasons.

Rashaan Evans had two sacks, two fumble recoveries and 159 tackles in 17 games last season. (Brett Davis / USA Today)

LB Rashaan Evans
The 2018 first-round pick started all 17 games for the Atlanta Falcons last season, totaling a career-high 159 tackles and two sacks. If the Cowboys don’t re-sign Vander Esch, they have to do something else at linebacker. They feel good about Damone Clark, but there are question marks everywhere else after him. Perhaps Jabril Cox plays better the further removed he is from that November 2021 ACL injury. But the position needs to be addressed in free agency.

DT A’Shawn Robinson, DT
Another position that needs help. Hankins and Watkins are both headed to free agency. Bringing at least one back is a good idea. Robinson could also be the answer to helping shut down the run in the middle. The 6-4, 330-pound Fort Worth native suffered a torn meniscus in Week 11 last season but it’s not expected to affect his preparation for the upcoming season.

K Matt Gay
The Cowboys have been pretty clear this offseason about moving on from Brett Maher. So what’s next at kicker? They have to have a better plan than last year entering training camp. Gay is regarded as the best at the position in this free-agent class. He was 31 of 32 on his extra points last season while also making 93 percent of his field-goal attempts, including 7 of 9 from 50 or more yards.

K Eddy Pineiro
Another potential option to handle Dallas’ kicking duties. Pineiro made 33 of 35 field-goal attempts last season for the Carolina Panthers. He was 30 of 32 on extra points. He’s attempted only five field goals of 50-plus yards in his three seasons with the Bears, Jets and Panthers, but he has made all five. Some other free-agent kickers: Greg Joseph, Chase McLaughlin and Riley Patterson.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I mean, if they actually re-sign guys like Wilson, LVE, Fowler, Hankins and maybe McGovern, I'm not really going to complain if they just nibble around the edges in FA.

I'd like them to do a little more but there aren't a huge number of impact guys available and I feel like last year's class was a bit stronger. A trade for a WR doesn't need to happen in the first 72 hours of FA, although I'm not optimistic on that either.

My problem is I think they're going to let a few internal guys go and then still sit on their hands like dickheads.

Arden Key or Charles Omenihu would be nice grabs, they aren't really Fowler replacements but they're really solid interior pass rushers, would be a nice add to our nickel/dime packages.

Top Bottom