2023 Cowboys Free Agency

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Latest on Hopkins…

Make this shit happen.

I wouldn't want to give up more than a 3rd, but because I still believe that he has the ability to be an elite playmaker, I would give up the 2nd.

He's got 2-3 years of pro bowl level play in him, IMO.

And with our window being open now, I'm willing to pay that price.

Let's do it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
All sounds great except I'm not giving a second round pick for a 31 year old receiver. I'm all about going all in but I'm not going to be dumb about it either.
I don't think it's dumb.

I agree with you in that I'd rather not give up the second, but this is a team that's in position to win a Super Bowl now and that's why I would be willing to part ways with that 2nd rounder.

If we get to the SB next year and he puts up 1200 yards and 10TDs along the way, that alone would make it worth a 2nd, would it not?

I offer a 3rd but if just a 2nd is all it'll take to get the deal done, I do it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's dumb.

I agree with you in that I'd rather not give up the second, but this is a team that's in position to win a Super Bowl now and that's why I would be willing to part ways with that 2nd rounder.

If we get to the SB next year and he puts up 1200 yards and 10TDs along the way, that alone would make it worth a 2nd, would it not?

I offer a 3rd but if just a 2nd is all it'll take to get the deal done, I do it.
Why is he worth a second round pick? That's what I struggle with. If he was coming off a 1200 yard receiving season sure. He isn't though. And yes I know, it's because he was suspended, for PEDs. That has it's own concern to it. The year prior he had 572 yards and played in only 10 games. Again injury was the big cause that year.

The guy garnered what was essentially a second round pick when he was 27-28 coming off an 1100 yard season. Why is he now worth a second coming off back to back disappointing seasons at 31 years old? Most WR's don't fare that well into their 30s. I love the player but if that's the cost I'm just going to find myself a stud at the beginning of his career instead of the end.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They can fuck off asking for a 2nd rounder, if someone was willing to give that up it would've been done by now.

They can have a 3rd next year and maybe a 4th this year and fuck off.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can fuck off asking for a 2nd rounder, if someone was willing to give that up it would've been done by now.

They can have a 3rd next year and maybe a 4th this year and fuck off.
Yep, this is where I'm at, I'm not over paying just because I like the guy.

Chocolate Lab

csn this hash tomo
Make this shit happen.

I wouldn't want to give up more than a 3rd, but because I still believe that he has the ability to be an elite playmaker, I would give up the 2nd.

He's got 2-3 years of pro bowl level play in him, IMO.

And with our window being open now, I'm willing to pay that price.

Let's do it.
I was reading that he's a real strain on their cap and he doesn't want to be there so he probably won't restructure. I think that's what's pushing his value down. Plus he might not accept a trade to just anywhere, but he seems to want to be here.

So a second may be too high. But I agree with your sentiment. We talk about going for it, well here's a legitimate chance to do that. It's not often you get a chance to get a player with his pedigree who still has a few years left for a decent price.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why is he worth a second round pick? That's what I struggle with. If he was coming off a 1200 yard receiving season sure. He isn't though. And yes I know, it's because he was suspended, for PEDs. That has it's own concern to it. The year prior he had 572 yards and played in only 10 games. Again injury was the big cause that year.

The guy garnered what was essentially a second round pick when he was 27-28 coming off an 1100 yard season. Why is he now worth a second coming off back to back disappointing seasons at 31 years old? Most WR's don't fare that well into their 30s. I love the player but if that's the cost I'm just going to find myself a stud at the beginning of his career instead of the end.

Exactly right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Schultz had 25 more catches and 200+ more yards than Gesicki.
Yeah he is just a better player. And frankly if Dak had played all year Schultz probably would have had in the 700 yard receiving range. Not to mention we actually had some talented young TE's stealing targets away from Schultz. But the end of it is, Schultz probably needs to refigure his demands to more in the 10-11 mil a year range. I think he has been shooting for something in the 14-15 and I doubt anyone is going to do that. Not with a great TE class coming up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So they recognized that letting Cooper go was a mistake but insist on another team making the same mistake?

That'd be par for the course for a franchise that values optics over everything else.

But giving up a 4th and change for Hopkins would be fair, hopefully they can at least see that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Bullshit. They rarely win trades. This simply doesn't ring true.
they prob think they do, and thus have a flawed perspective. But the part about teams not wanting to get fleeced by the two morons is prob spot on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just sign DJ Chark and draft a dude. I'm tired of the trade speculation. If you want to get real "Jerry's special" sign an injured Hardman and roll the dice that he stays healthy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just sign DJ Chark and draft a dude. I'm tired of the trade speculation. If you want to get real "Jerry's special" sign an injured Hardman and roll the dice that he stays healthy.

Those would be loaded dice since he can't ever stay healthy.

Top Bottom