2022 Cowboys Preseason Week 3 Gameday Chatter Thread | Seahawks @ Cowboys | 08/26/22

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hate the whole dynamic on offense. Moore having to stick around because he's Dak's buddy and mentor. An offensive HC having to stick with Garrett's offense just so Dak doesn't have to learn a new one. You have multiple elements of the worst of Jerry's Cowboys on that side of the ball.

Meanwhile on defense, you're halfway like a normal team. You need to overhaul the defense, so you hire a new DC with a totally different system that the HC insists upon, you devote a bunch of draft resources to that side of the ball and hit on most of them, and boom, in two years you go basically from the outhouse to the penthouse.

So your offensive HC is allowed to have much more say on the defensive side of the ball than the offensive one. You force a coach and a system on him so you can be Dak Friendly. No such restrictions on the other side because you don't particularly care about defense. And guess which side is carrying the team now.

Just stupid. We should have flushed everything on the offensive side just like we did on the defensive one. Goddammit, Jerry such is a moron.
At this point I'd prefer Quinn at HC with a revamped offensive coaching staff (ideally he'd hire someone from Shannahan's tree to coach the offense given that's when he was most successful in Atlanta) than what we have now.

McCarthy just doesn't seem to bring much relative value to make up for the listless, uninspired offense that we couldn't get out of Quinn who was nearly just as decorated as a HC if not for Shannahan fucking him with his idiocy against New England.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think if Brandon Smith makes that catch on 3rd down late in the game, there's a good chance he makes the team. Feels like he's still shown enough to at least make the PS again.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This play may have saved his job. Without this INT I think there's a good possibility that he's cut.

Such a boneheaded draft pick. And practically everyone here called it as soon as the pick was announced.
Should that save him, though? It was about the easiest pick you could ever imagine... the QB just threw it right to him.

He also had another bad PI penalty.

I doubt he gets cut though, it sounds like the coaches really like him for some reason.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can we flush the 60+ yard field goal attempts though? Maher might he able to make one but it's probably like 10% of the time or less.
Especially since we have Anger at punter. Let him pin them deep, and then let the defense eat.

Cotton

Staff member
Should that save him, though? It was about the easiest pick you could ever imagine... the QB just threw it right to him.

He also had another bad PI penalty.

I doubt he gets cut though, it sounds like the coaches really like him for some reason.
They aren't cutting Wright. If they do I would be shocked.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Especially since we have Anger at punter. Let him pin them deep, and then let the defense eat.
Pin them deep and play defense? Y'all are going to trigger the young analytics types so bad...

1bigfan13

Staff member
If McCarthy has Maher attempt one single 60+ yarder (or really 55+) at any point other than the last 5 minutes of the game he should be fired.

With our punter being able to pin teams inside their 20 at will I'd much rather roll the dice on giving our defense an opportunity to make a play than some 40% proposition at 3 points that will likely just give the opponent the ball near midfield.
I'm more interested in his ability to make the 40-ish yarders. IIRC, that was his biggest issue his first time around with the Cowboys.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
At this point I'd prefer Quinn at HC with a revamped offensive coaching staff (ideally he'd hire someone from Shannahan's tree to coach the offense given that's when he was most successful in Atlanta) than what we have now.

McCarthy just doesn't seem to bring much relative value to make up for the listless, uninspired offense that we couldn't get out of Quinn who was nearly just as decorated as a HC if not for Shannahan fucking him with his idiocy against New England.
I hate to sound like such a McCarthy apologist, but that would be such a bum deal for him. If you're going to ditch Moore and the offensive system, why not do it now and let your HC run the offense like he wants to?

I guess we can see when the season actually starts. Maybe they'll actually integrate more WCO concepts like they talked about, but I doubt it. The whole thing should've been scrapped two years ago and they'd be ready to roll by now.

Cotton

Staff member
Pin them deep and play defense? Y'all are going to trigger the young analytics types so bad...
There is a place for analytics. There is also a time to just play football in a traditional manner.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Preseason or not, this defense knows how to create turnovers. I don’t think last year was a fluke.
I don't know if you remember but they actually started turning corner and creating an insane amount of turnovers in the 2nd half of the 2020 season.

Top Bottom