2021 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jaycee Horn vs. Patrick Surtain, Jerry Jones’ interest in Kyle Pitts: 20 Cowboys pre-draft notes

By Jon Machota 1h ago

FRISCO, Texas — Two days before the NFL Draft begins, the Cowboys held their annual pre-draft news conference at The Star on Tuesday. Team owner Jerry Jones was joined by executive vice president Stephen Jones and head coach Mike McCarthy.

But before any draft questions were fielded, two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Sean Lee made a brief statement and then answered questions about his recent retirement after 11 seasons with the Cowboys.

To break down everything that was discussed about Lee and the draft, here are 20 Cowboys notes.

1. Lee on his retirement. He ends his NFL career as the franchise’s eighth-leading tackler. He also holds the Cowboys record for most tackles in a game with 22 against the New York Giants in December of 2016.

“If I’m being honest, I’ve been trying to avoid this day for a while,” Lee said. “You want to play forever. When you pour gasoline on the fire inside yourself for 25 years, it’s hard to put it out.”

The recent retirements of Lee and defensive lineman Tyrone Crawford remove two important defensive leaders from the locker room. When asked who can step up to carry that load, Lee specifically mentioned Leighton Vander Esch, DeMarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Antwaun Woods and Trevon Diggs.

“All of these guys have it in them,” Lee said. “I can’t wait to watch this team, this defense and what they’re going to do, especially being healthy this year. … This team is going in the direction where they are going to win and they’re going to win big soon.”

2. Lee’s future. It seems natural that Lee would eventually make the transition into coaching. However, it doesn’t sound like he’s ready to make that decision any time soon.

“That’s definitely something I’m going to consider,” he said. “Right now, I think it’s just a good time to step away. Until I’m ready to make that commitment full out, which is a possibility, believe me, I love this game. I love being around it. I think there is a period right now where I’m going to miss playing, dearly. I think I need to get over that a little bit for a while, take some time with that, and then maybe make that decision on the back end of that.”

3. Pre-draft visits. NFL teams are not having their normal in-person pre-draft visits with prospects because of the COVID-19 pandemic. There also wasn’t the normal scouting combine in Indianapolis in February. So those prospect interviews are taking place virtually. Highlights from a few have been posted on the Cowboys’ team website. In-person visits seem like they would be preferred by the teams, but Jerry Jones says the virtual discussions have been better for him.

“I’ve gotten to know these guys better, Zoom calling,” Jones said. “Somehow, if you’re looking at each other in there, somehow you’re working out, you’re expressing yourself maybe a little more candidly than you would otherwise. I thought between last year and this year, this is the best I’ve understood these players, from my perspective.”

Mike McCarthy said he agreed.

“I think really, learning from last year, it’s much better this year,” he added. “You’re able to talk to more players in this format. Now, it’s untraditional. When you are looking for Sean Lee, the standard and those type of intangibles, I can’t say enough about our scouting department and the way they’ve teed everything up with the virtual meetings. We’ve been able to get through, from my personal platform as a head coach, a lot more players. I’ve been impressed with the process.”

4. Biggest pre-draft evaluation issue. The biggest negative the Cowboys have experienced with the current format involves getting the medical background and updates on the prospects.

“We’re not as prepared as I’d like to be for medical,” Jerry Jones said. “It’s just the process, it’s harder to do, not having everybody, that aggregation of players there in Indianapolis and all the doctors and everything involved with that.”

Jones added that the uncertainty with medical background could be the difference in whether they draft a particular player.

5. Medical impact. Does Jones’ comments mean they’re less likely to draft injured players in the second round like they did with Jaylon Smith in 2016 and Lee in 2010? Both would have likely been first-round picks if not for their injuries.

Jones said he still wouldn’t pass on a player like Lee if he were available this weekend.

“We got him in the second round,” Jones added, “so not less likely to do something like that.”

6. Offensive player in the first round? Everyone knows the Cowboys need to improve their defense. The majority of their 10 picks are expected to be spent on that side of the ball. But they needed defense last year and ended up picking wide receiver CeeDee Lamb 17th overall.

“I think the real thing to do is don’t be stupid over your needs,” Jones said. “Just don’t be ridiculous. Last year, Lamb was there. And we hadn’t planned to take a receiver. But he was the best player and he was a player we immediately had a vision for. He could come in here and help us win. … You just want to be ready and prepared to read the circumstances.

“What’s exciting about the 10th pick is you could very easily get an opportunity to do something unconventional here. We’ve had it before and we’ve gotten great players by doing that.”

7. How does McCarthy feel about potentially taking an offensive player at pick No. 10? “That is why you have all those conversations,” he said. “That is why you put so much time into it. I refer to it as laps. We took laps this weekend. We took another yesterday. So those are all the conversations you have. Every selection affects what is next. BPA is best player available. We all would like to go that way. But obviously, we are building a football team. We have a new defensive coordinator. The speed and energy, we need to get more of it as a football team. We are a dome football team. We have excellent size and length. Speed is something that would definitely help us as we got through these draft prospects.”

Kyle Pitts (Kim Klement / USA Today)

8. Kyle Pitts. Jerry Jones made headlines last month when ESPN reported that he was infatuated with the Florida tight end. Pitts is expected to be picked in the top five. He’s regarded as a rare type of mismatch player that isn’t available in every draft class. Jones is a fan. But that doesn’t mean he’s trying to trade up to get him.

“It’s not legitimate,” Jones said of the report. “But when I say it, anybody in this draft is impressed, probably an exaggeration as fascination. I may have used the word myself, but the point is it’s distortion for this draft and where we are there. It implies something that is just not the case. We’re not going to go in there and spend inordinate collateral or value to maneuver up there so we can get to Pitts.

“In any way, I would tell you right now I have a good assessment from Mike and everybody that’s seen him and everybody involved, I got a good assessment of whether Pitts could help us win a Super Bowl or not. Whether he could help us as opposed to two other players over there because probably if we did end up with Pitts, we would have had the opportunity to get two for one.”

Jones was referring to giving up the 10th pick and at least one other premium pick in a trade-up scenario for Pitts, thus making him worth two players.

9. Offensive line additions. It’s an area that was significantly impacted by injuries last season. It’s not the Cowboys’ biggest need, but they could certainly afford to add youth, especially at tackle. Starting right tackle La’el Collins missed the entire 2020 season. Starting left tackle Tyron Smith missed 14 games. Starting right guard Zack Martin missed six games.

“I think, No. 1, you’re trying to develop obviously the full roster, particularly the offensive line,” McCarthy said. “I don’t think you ever, ever pass on an offensive lineman, particularly from a depth standpoint. Given our experience last year, that’s an illustration that tells you the importance of all of the positions. It definitely changes the way you play when you lose, or the way you have to play, when you lose tackles. The development of that whole group is something I think with 10 picks I would not be surprised if we do select a lineman in the draft.”

10. Draft prep. Many different scenarios can make for some anxious moments inside a team’s draft room. For example, last-minute trade offers, players available that you didn’t think were going to be there, several players you thought were going to be there all get picked right before you go on the clock, the owner wants Johnny Manziel and everyone else wants Zack Martin.

According to Stephen Jones, the Cowboys have prepared for it all.

“I just think our preparation has been really good,” he said. “We know the players really well, whether it is groups of players, where they sit. We got a great group here between Jerry, Mike and (vice president of player personnel Will McClay) and our team that can give us great input. And we can make a quick decision. We don’t have to do a lot of polling in the room, ‘Who is for this? Who is for that?’ I think we are getting a great feel for that. We have done a good job of that in the past. Our draft record and our draft history with Will has been really strong in terms of how we draft. I think we can repeat that again starting on Thursday.”

11. Surtain vs. Horn. The best bet for the Cowboys if they stay at Pick 10 is that they end up selecting the top cornerback on their board. They aren’t saying if that is Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II or South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn. Either would step in and start immediately.

Surtain is regarded as the safer pick. He might not make as many plays on the ball as Horn, but he also doesn’t get beat very often.

Which would the Cowboys prefer, the cornerback that makes plays or the one that doesn’t give up much?

“I think both, especially when you’re picking 10th,” Stephen Jones said. “You want these guys to check all the boxes. You want them to have the length to deter the quarterback from throwing it that way, but if they do, then you want them to have great ball skills and great playmaking ability to turn the ball over. Mike, I think he says it about every 15 minutes, ‘Get the ball.’

“We did a good job of that last year on defense. We actually had some really good numbers on getting the ball. What we’ve got to do, obviously, on offense is protect it a little bit better. But finding these defensive guys that can go get the ball are a premium and certainly the top guys in this draft. They not only have the length and ability to get with these bigger receivers, and tight ends if they need to, and not only prevent the ball from coming their way, but if they happen to throw it their way, they certainly can make a play on the ball, track the ball, pick it off.”

Stephen Jones, Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones from Tuesday (Jon Machota / The Athletic)

12. Zone vs. man. Are the Cowboys more interested in the better zone coverage corner or the better man-to-man coverage player?
“Got to be able to play both in this league,” McCarthy said. “I think you look at all of those things. When it comes to all these positions, and especially the corner position, we want to be more aggressive. Obviously, you want to be able to play more man than zone and match coverage, however you view it. But it’s really the development, the upside. That’s probably been the biggest challenge outside of the medical, is you don’t have as much information, particularly with a player that didn’t play or only played four games last year.

“It’s all different moving targets, getting a good assessment on where their ceiling is, because you have to develop these young players. The draft is the backbone of your roster development, and once again I can’t say how important it is, not only at the defensive back position, but all these draft picks. They have a chance to develop, because it’s going to be a big part of our roster moving forward.”

McCarthy later shared that he is “very focused” on the prospect’s ability to make plays on the ball.

“I think the ball skill grade is something that we pay close attention to, because it’s about the football,” he said. “Turnover differential is the most important focus of our football team outside of winning the game. That will be reflected in all of our defensive players, especially defensive backs.”

Surtain had four interceptions and four forced fumbles in 41 college games. Horn had two interceptions and two forced fumbles in 30 college games.

13. Fathers who played in the NFL. How much does that play a role in evaluating a prospect? Both Surtain and Horn have dads who had successful NFL careers.

“For me, it does,” Jerry Jones said. “Yes, it does. I believe in osmosis, sitting around the breakfast table. It works. We ask all the time, ‘Are they a coach’s son?’ We ask that all the time. It really helps to hear it all day long, every day and have it in your fabric to have been a part of that. There’s an awareness factor that we look to. But absolutely.”

Patrick Surtain Sr. played cornerback for 11 seasons (1998-2008) with the Dolphins and Chiefs, making three Pro Bowls. He recorded 37 interceptions with a career-high seven coming in 2003.

Joe Horn played wide receiver for 12 seasons (1996-2007) with the Chiefs, Saints and Falcons, making four Pro Bowls. He had four 1,000-yard receiving seasons and caught 58 career touchdowns. McCarthy was the Chiefs’ quarterback coach during three of Horn’s four seasons in Kansas City. McCarthy was the Saints’ offensive coordinator for five of Horn’s seven seasons in New Orleans.

14. Dak Prescott update. No one said exactly when Prescott is expected to be fully recovered and taking part in 11-on-11 team drills, but he appears to be making significant progress.

“Where we sit right now, we couldn’t be happier,” Stephen Jones said. “He’s just doing an amazing job. His work ethic, of course, it’s contagious with his teammates. One of the things that stuck out about Dak’s leadership last year is he was right back in the facility right after he was hurt. His leadership is elite. And, of course, he’s doing that on the field, and he’s just making a tremendous amount of progress. We feel like he’ll be 110 percent ready to go.”

15. McCarthy on Dak. The Cowboys head coach said he specifically watched Prescott work out last Saturday and came away “very impressed.”

“It was probably his most extensive work so far,” McCarthy said. “He’s throwing now, doing the footwork drills. He’s made a lot of progress. Very disciplined in his regimen. He’s here almost every day, so I’d say he’s right on track or maybe a little ahead of schedule.”
Where is Prescott progressing?

“Just coming off the type of injury and his footwork,” McCarthy said. “He’s doing all of the normal movements that you look to do in a quarterback school format this time of year.”

Dak Prescott (Tim Heitman / USA Today)

16. Backup QB. Currently behind Prescott on the depth chart is Garrett Gilbert, Ben DiNucci and Cooper Rush. It doesn’t sound like the Cowboys are all set with that group. Remember, Andy Dalton didn’t sign with Dallas until after the draft last year.

“If we see a situation that makes sense for us from a salary cap standpoint and upgrading what we have on the roster and can create a more competitive situation, then we’ll certainly look at that,” Stephen Jones said. “I think that, like any position on our team, it’s a work in progress.”

McCarthy added: “You’re always looking to upgrade that position, whether it’s via the draft or free agency. I will say, we definitely want to add some competition to the room.”

17. Leighton Vander Esch. The Cowboys have not made their final decision on if they will exercise the fifth-year option on Vander Esch’s rookie contract. They have until next week to make that decision. Stephen Jones says they will wait until after the draft.

“Any time you make a decision on that, it’s the full body of work,” Jones said. “Certainly, not unlike Sean, Leighton’s had some unfortunate injury situations. Certainly, we’ll take a look at that and put it all into the mix in terms of where we’re going to be with the salary cap, not only this year but next year, and make a decision that’s in the best interest of our team.

“Whether we exercise an option or not, it doesn’t mean at all that we’re not interested, if we didn’t (exercise the option), in keeping Leighton around here. Obviously, if we do, that solidifies that he’s here 110 percent. So we’ll certainly get in a room and go over that and make a decision.”

Fifth-year options are only eligible with first-round picks. Over the previous decade, the Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Ezekiel Elliott, Byron Jones, Travis Frederick, Martin and Smith. They did not pick up that option on Taco Charlton and Morris Claiborne.

18. Draft room setup. Teams drafted remotely last year. As you might remember, Jerry Jones was making picks from his $250 million yacht. Most teams are going back to drafting from their headquarters. The Cowboys will be drafting from The Star.

“There will be some limitations on the number of people we can have in the war room, but we’ll be all together,” Stephen Jones said. “The question will be the final number the NFL comes up with, and we’ll be a little more restricted than probably we’d had two years ago.”

Stephen Jones declined to share who exactly would be in the Cowboys’ draft room, but Jerry Jones jumped in and made it clear that everyone in the room will be “100 percent vaccinated.”

19. More from Jerry Jones on the COVID-19 vaccine. The Cowboys owner said every chance he gets he’s talking to players and other team employees about getting vaccinated.

“We are unabashed about encouraging everyone to get the vaccine,” he added. “It certainly will enable us to not have anybody that should become ill that might have become ill. But more importantly than anything, it’s important that we use body language or we use what we’re doing that we’re back to normal.

“We’re encouraging in every way that we can. Obviously, we don’t have the ability to say that you do that in order to be with your teammates or with the team or be with the staff at the player level, because of our union bargaining. But absent that, we really feel strongly that it is in all of our best interests here in April looking ahead to not only the fall but looking ahead to the season that we are pushing hard right now to get everybody vaccinated.”

20. Voluntary workout attendance. Despite over half the NFL boycotting in-person voluntary offseason workouts at team facilities, the Cowboys have had most of their players working out at The Star.

“Our players are here,” McCarthy said. “They’re committed to what’s available. We’re obviously all in tune with the guidelines of what an offseason program looks like and what you can do for your players. We feel very good about what we accomplished in our first week, and especially we’re way ahead of where we were at this point last year.”

Are they seeing 100 percent attendance from players?

“Close,” McCarthy said. “One hundred percent virtual. Most of the guys are here working out. Ten at a time.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Cowboys have not made their final decision on if they will exercise the fifth-year option on Vander Esch’s rookie contract. They have until next week to make that decision. Stephen Jones says they will wait until after the draft.
That's very telling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. To me it says that if they think they find his replacement in the draft, he is gone after this year.
Yeah but didn't he also say he wants him back regardless what they do on the fifth year option?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now I am concerned that the Broncos are now out of the QB business and could be in play for defense.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Now I am concerned that the Broncos are now out of the QB business and could be in play for defense.
Sure hope they take Surtain!

:towel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't hear that. Maybe I missed it.
I thought someone posted it on these boards. Didn't watch the press conference myself. Or radio interview, whatever it was.

I think the Cowboys don't want to pay him 9 mil on the fifth year unless he lights it up this year. Which makes perfect sense. You don't pay 9 mil for what you got in the last two seasons.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think Bridgewater is a sign that the Broncos pass on QB, if anything I think it's a cheap smokescreen that might make teams discount their desire for a QB.

Like really, Teddy fuckin' Bridgewater who won't attempt passes more than 10 yards down the field is going to stop them from taking a QB in the top 10?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah but didn't he also say he wants him back regardless what they do on the fifth year option?
Wants him back on a cheaper contract, though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wants him back on a cheaper contract, though.
I'm good with that. Off the ball Lbers that are elite aren't very expensive. So 9 mil on a fifth year should be an elite player. Maybe he is elite if he puts together 16 games. But I'll need to see 16 games first.

Wish we treated Jaylon the same way.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Bridgewater is a sign that the Broncos pass on QB, if anything I think it's a cheap smokescreen that might make teams discount their desire for a QB.

Like really, Teddy fuckin' Bridgewater who won't attempt passes more than 10 yards down the field is going to stop them from taking a QB in the top 10?
Yeah to me Bridgewater is there to just help a young QB along.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You want Horn? That's what you get in that situation.

But seriously if you have Bridgwater, does that make a team feel good about QB? He would be nothing but a place holder if I was running a team.
I think they're still hoping Lock turns into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom